PDA

View Full Version : Funky Jet Controls + Pics of new boat

BadBahner
07-09-2005, 03:47 AM
I test drove the used Jet Boat I want to buy today at Perris. The boat is an 87 Hallett 20SS and it was really cool to drive... but... when I hopped in the driver seat and went to push the pedal I could not find it. :jawdrop:
It seems the forward reverse shifter also controls the throttle... wierd.
Does anyone else have a controller like this on thier boat? I am thinking I may want to convert to a foot throttle but I will see how it goes.
Also... the volts guage was reading 9 while I was driving it... since this is a dealer purchased boat they will fix whatever is not working. Does 9 mean something is not working. Boat has 2 New Batteries.
Here is a link to the boat.
Eric
Hallet Pic 1 (http://www.inlandautoandboat.com/Performance/Pictures/017B787/Hallett%20(3).jpg)
Hallett pic 2 (http://www.inlandautoandboat.com/Performance/Pictures/017B787/hallett.jpg)
http://www.inlandautoandboat.com/Performance/Pictures/017B787/hallett.jpg http://www.inlandautoandboat.com/Performance/Pictures/017B787/hallett%20(3).jpg

Wicked Performance Boats
07-09-2005, 03:55 AM
Nice Boat! Many boats have just a hand throttle, try it for a while. also it's not charging. It must be 13.2 volts or higher to charge batts. Are you gonna change your handle to BadHallet? Budlight :D

FASTRAT
07-09-2005, 04:00 AM
WOW...i have never heard of that control set-up...i think u might want to chng that...i would put a volt meter on each battery & see what they read...i think they should read around 13 volts...especially since they are new...could be the gage is bad
fastrat

BadBahner
07-09-2005, 04:20 AM
Nice Boat! Many boats have just a hand throttle, try it for a while. also it's not charging. It must be 13.2 volts or higher to charge batts. Are you gonna change your handle to BadHallet? Budlight :D
Thanks. For some reason my wife is letting me have 2 boats... :D . She is the best wife ever. So since the bahner is staying so is the name. I looked on the Dana Website and they have a Berk Controller that accepts 2 cables and operates the Fwd/rev and throttle. I found it when I was pricing a foot throttle. I think I will try it for a while. It has an electric Jetavator and I think I want a place diverter so I will spend my $ there instead.
The boat rode so good in the late afternoon chop of lake perris and very solid. The bahner would have beat the shit out me in that chop.
Eric

olbiezer
07-09-2005, 04:34 AM
i drove a mantra once with a hand throttle.........wow what a trip and scarry...........tyr it and see. its easy to change to a foor throttle. that is one nice boat otherwise....... have fun

spectratoad
07-09-2005, 06:48 AM
My Spectra has a fwr/Rev/Throttle control. I am wanting to replace it. It wirks fine and I am used to it but not sure what is out there. That is a sweet boat too. :cool:

Aluminum Squirt
07-09-2005, 06:56 AM
The hand throttle is weird for most hot boaters but give it a few runs, I think you'll like it if this is the family boat. I prefer foot throttle but fur skiing, boarding, tubing, guest drivers etc, the hand throttle works pretty well-Aluminum Squirt
PS-great looking boat

BigBlockBaja
07-09-2005, 07:22 AM
If ya decide to goto a foot throttle and a normal foward/reverse lever as I did in my old Baja, you will be left with a big hole in the space where the old controls where. Going to have to make a filler of some sort. I used 3/16 aluminum plate about 5" square.
Oh, and changing Handles, how do you do that?

kp216
07-09-2005, 09:35 AM
I have forward/reverse/throttle as well, in addition to the hydraulic diverter control mounted on the handle, but mine is right hand steer.
Like Aluminum Squirt said, for tubing, skiing, just cruising, it's great.
If my boat was faster (it only runs 60) I would want a foot throttle so I could keep both hands on the wheel. When the new motor goes in, I will seriously consider a foot throttle, even though it is right hand steer.

Aduner2
07-09-2005, 12:43 PM
Alot of builders of larger jet boats were set-up that way, not so much lately.
Most o/b and i/o have the shift/throttle combos. Like everything with boats, there's tradeoffs with each set-up.
There's a saying about real boats,windshields,and foot throttles. :D

BigBlockBaja
07-09-2005, 12:46 PM
There's a saying about real boats,windshields,and foot throttles. :D
Whats that??? :boxingguy

460rogers
07-09-2005, 02:35 PM
I converted a sidewinder jet to foot throttle it was a rt steer boat, Had to build a pad to mount the pedel.
The cable was still the right style and length.
used the same fwd/rev lever just took off the throttle cable.
I liked the hand throttle pulling skiers.
It was also better in choppy water.
Just my .02

MILKMAN351
07-09-2005, 02:54 PM
I saw that boat being advertised for a while. How much did you end up paying for it?

SmokinLowriderSS
07-09-2005, 03:49 PM
I have a vague memory of that setup being in dad's Taylor info as an optional instalation. I'm personally glad I have the more comon setup. I'm just used to it I guess. Been driving it for 25 years.

aqua8410
07-09-2005, 05:41 PM
inland boat center asking 14,000??????????

maxwedge
07-09-2005, 08:11 PM
My sidewinder still has the hand throttle/shifter, as does almost every other non-performance boat I've ever driven. It's great becasue you can just push it all the way down and walk away to the back of the boat to dial in your WOT carb and timing settings, or whatever, without needing another person to help. I'm kidding. I've never actually done this. But I did see a guy at the lake one day trying somthing similar. With enough beer, anything is possible.
It is actully kinda nice if you want to hold a steady speed for a long time, but I would prefer the foot throttle myself.

Tahiti350
07-09-2005, 08:36 PM
My Tahiti has the combined throttle/shifter set, but it is an I/O (half-wacker). I've thought about converting to foot throttle, but I pull skiers and tubes, so will probably leave it the way it is.

malcolm
07-09-2005, 09:16 PM
Try to keep that foot throttle steady when you're banging upstream jumping wakes. I like my combo shifter/throttle. I can also drive the boat nealing on the seat, or from the back seat as far as that goes. :cool:

BadBahner
07-10-2005, 08:42 AM
inland boat center asking 14,000??????????
Yes I got it from Inland Boat. I highly recommend them... they had excellent customer service and were fair. They fixed anything I pointed out as a problem.
Eric