PDA

View Full Version : Duramax/Allison running hot

nodigg
07-09-2005, 10:31 AM
Anyone else having problems with heat when you keep your foot in it towing heavy in hot temps up long grades? (15k) The truck is all I could hope except for cooling capability. Now, I realize the power boost program is the REAL problem here but has anyone found any solutions to the heat build up problem?

1stepcloser
07-09-2005, 02:13 PM
Heres some info (http://dieselplace.com/forum/showthread.php?t=14625) relating to that.
I cant offer a solution, but it is good reading.

nodigg
07-09-2005, 02:54 PM
Thanks, that's a lot to digest but I will hit it again later to see if it makes any sense.

WetWillie
07-09-2005, 10:09 PM
Cut and pasted from another thread!
Well I've been struggling with this issue for a while, can you blame me? I mean if you buy a truck that costs you nearly $50,000 and it has a problem over heating, would you come to this forum and "tell all" well neither would I. All of the SH%T talking would only piss me off more. I enjoy the B.S. rhetoric once in a while but not if it pertains to my own stuff. Oh and before you Ford owners try and jump on my back the 6.0PS Diesels are having the same problem. What is the problem? Here it is.
While towing my trailer east on the 8 freeway starting at willows rode at W.O.T (wide open throttle)75 MPH in O.D. my engine temp gauge starts to climb, and i do mean in a hurry. From willows road to pine valley is approximately 10-12 miles with a 6-7% grade. near the top My gauge reads 240+ degrees, that's with an ambient temp of only 65. What The FUC% I'm like this has to be a fluke. so I did it again with the same results. I had heard of a select few Duramax's having an overheat problem so i researched on the internet and found thedieselplce.com forum. Aparently GM is aware of the problem and they are working on a fix. Problem is they are running out of time. People are getting impatient and are threatening to inform the media. Fortunately the answer to my problem is simple. For the rest of the group, they have a battle ahead of them. They are saying that the turbo is supplying to much boost at W.O.T in altitude witch in turn causes the truck to run extra rich witch also causes more heat. Causing anyone who keeps there foot in it to over heat. But as far as I'm concerned, for 50 grand, any truck should be able to perform in those conditions for 200,000+ miles (with proper maintainance of course)
This last weekend a friend of mine who has a truck exactly like mine came out to alpine with me and we did some extensive testing. Basically we found that my fan clutch was defective. Problem solved? I hope so!!!! My truck is at the dealer right now getting a new fan clutch installed. I informed my dealer that if this doesn't fix the problem be prepared to talk to my lawyer and buy back my truck. They shrugged there shoulders and said OK. So I'll get back to you on how that turns out.
If you know of anyone who is experiencing these types of problems have them contact me, i can help win the battle against the "stealership"

victorfb
07-09-2005, 10:36 PM
are these problems happening on stock trucks, or are aftermarket performance products involved?

cc322
07-10-2005, 07:16 AM
That sucks period. What is the deal with all the diesel problem, whether it be GM or Ford or Dodge. I did alot of research berfore I bought my truck and must say. Allthough I really wanted the diesel, I opted for the V10 and am loving it. The big three better get it right, Good luck with your situation.

Kachina26
07-10-2005, 07:53 AM
Got the snow plow option?
Engine Overheating (Replace Fan Blade Clutch Assembly) #04-06-02-006A - (Jun 24, 2005)
Engine Overheating (Replace Fan Blade Clutch Assembly)
2002-2005 Chevrolet Silverado 4WD 2500 Series
2002-2005 GMC Sierra 4WD 2500 Series
with 6.0L Gas Engine (VIN U -- RPO LQ4)
and Snowplow Provision (RPO VYU)
This bulletin is being revised to add the 2005 model year. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 04-06-02-006 (Section 06 -- Engine/Propulsion System).
Condition
Some customers may comment that the engine is overheating. This condition mainly occurs on 4WD 2500 series models that are equipped with a snowplow.
Cause
A lower fan clutch disengage speed, resulting in insufficient airflow passing through the radiator to trigger fan clutch engagement, may cause this condition. The snowplow may also contribute to interrupted grille airflow, which results in the fan clutch not sensing the warm air coming off the radiator and consequently not engaging the clutch.
Have the dealer call technical assistance, this problem may carry over to the D-Max. This bulletin is only a few weeks old. With those engines running the low rpms that they do, the fan clutch may actually be disengaging even though you need it on. Just a thought, good luck and let us know what happens.

Beer-30
07-10-2005, 03:02 PM
A buddy of mine just got a new Dmax. he was towing his 30' trailer and noticed the fan clutch coming in alot. He had just put in a "bold on the outside" billet grille. The kind that you just screw onto the outside of existing grille w/o cutting out the old grate. He took that off and didn't have anymore cooling issues.
What grille do you have?

nodigg
07-11-2005, 07:00 AM
My issue seems to be ONLY when towing 15k and Only when running up a steep grade. The fan IS kicking in but seems to be on the weak side.

riverroyal
07-12-2005, 03:01 PM
my new ford 6.0 did the same thing towing my 5th wheel,,,,it goes in to the dealer next week,,,mine was outta indio,heading to havasu

Man-de-lone
07-12-2005, 03:14 PM
Mine (04 Dmax CC 4x4) will climb a little on temp guage but never gets that hot. I can hear that fan coming off and on regularly. Below 70 rarely, but more often the faster I go even when not towing. My old Ford did the same thing.
I came up 8 from Ocotillo yesterday, 72 mph, passing Fords the whole way... :D

riverroyal
07-12-2005, 03:15 PM
i could go 73

Woodster
07-12-2005, 08:47 PM
Mine (04 Dmax CC 4x4) will climb a little on temp guage but never gets that hot. I can hear that fan coming off and on regularly. Below 70 rarely, but more often the faster I go even when not towing. My old Ford did the same thing.
U didnt pass me..I was doing 80 :220v: My 05 ford does the same thing( fans kick on and the temp gauge climbs) Ive done a little research on it and it seems like the gauges are to sensitive and giving improper readings. Mine goes to the dealer hopefully next week also.

nodigg
07-13-2005, 11:02 AM
towing how much weight?

h2oski2fast
07-13-2005, 12:52 PM
My issue seems to be ONLY when towing 15k and Only when running up a steep grade.
Well I guess you found the problem then. Don't push it soooo hard. They are designed to pull the 15k, but not up Mount Everest.

nodigg
07-13-2005, 01:55 PM
Well I guess you found the problem then. Don't push it soooo hard. They are designed to pull the 15k, but not up Mount Everest.
Yeah, that's true, but now that they WILL pull hard up Mt Everest, how bout some more cooling capability GM? I run 80k almost every weekday on a big rig, yeah I know, oranges to apples, but if a manufacturer supllies the power to pul, why not supply the cooling power as well????
Speaking of pulling Mt Everest, a few weeks back that son of a gun pulled the toy box up a paved driveway up in the wine country that required 4-low and chirped the tires a bit while grunting up to the top, DAMN, I was impressed. I thought the hitch was gonna fall off the bed from the way everything was popping and creaking from the strain, but DAMN what a tow vehicle! :) :)

h2oski2fast
07-13-2005, 02:09 PM
This comment is not meant toward you, just a general statement I heard one day.
"Everytime I try and make something idiot proof, along come bigger idiots."
Sorry you are having problems with your truck. You have to reaslize that there will be limitations to what the vehicle can do. If the heat isn't the limitation then something else will be, like the drive train beyond the trans.

onetallhd
07-20-2005, 03:08 PM
My friend just called me and had experienced the same thing you all are talking about. He has the 'Juice' on his truck and called the mfg. and they acknowledged the problem. They said that it is a software issue and that they will be releasing a new module in a couple weeks.

nodigg
07-21-2005, 10:20 AM
My friend just called me and had experienced the same thing you all are talking about. He has the 'Juice' on his truck and called the mfg. and they acknowledged the problem. They said that it is a software issue and that they will be releasing a new module in a couple weeks.
He called the manufacturer of the "juice" or GM?

Racer277
07-21-2005, 10:27 AM
I thought the hitch was gonna fall off the bed from the way everything was popping and creaking from the strain, but DAMN what a tow vehicle! :) :)
Note to self "don't buy Homer's used trucks when he's done with them..."
BTW- do you sell 'beach sand' out there, you know the white beach sand like on the ground at the Nekkid Turtle?

Party Cat
07-21-2005, 10:31 AM
BTW- do you sell 'beach sand' out there, you know the white beach sand like on the ground at the Nekkid Turtle?
You guys gonna build a sand box for BG ??? :D :D

Racer277
07-21-2005, 10:33 AM
You guys gonna build a sand box for BG ??? :D :D
:D :D

nodigg
07-21-2005, 10:34 AM
You are right not to buy my used trucks, usually a minimum of 200,000 miles before I get rid of them after a year or two. Now about that Homer crap,
BIACH! LOL!
We do not sell white sand, sorry, only washed concrete sand. You have been to the Naked Turtle??? :yuk: :)

Party Cat
07-21-2005, 10:55 AM
Now about that Homer crap,
BIACH! LOL!
Sean...did you take a Dia pill this morning....can't ya read...."That's MR HOMER to you!" :D :D

Racer277
07-21-2005, 10:58 AM
Sean...did you take a Dia pill this morning....can't ya read...."That's MR HOMER to you!" :D :D
As a long time Home Depot employee, I can call him Homer if I want...
I think I still have an orange apron.
Oh, it gets worse, I still hear and register every page in a store. If you asked me 2 minutes later what that garble was, I could tell you "Hardware person to the key machine please"
God, make it go away......

nodigg
07-21-2005, 11:01 AM
Ya' see, now there's a young man with respect for his elders! :D

Party Cat
07-21-2005, 11:25 AM
Ya' see, now there's a young man with respect for his elders! :D
Thanks Dad...can I borrow the boat keys :D
and where did ya put the pole that you're hiding from mom.....LMAO

onetallhd
07-21-2005, 08:39 PM
My buddy called Edge Products makers of the 'juice'. Lets cross our fingers and hope this next software update will solve the overheating issues that people are having.