PDA

View Full Version : Attention Olds Guys... I need help!

n8dawg
07-09-2005, 03:20 PM
I ended up blowing a head gasket. So I took the heads off, had them checked for cracks and resurfaced. Now they're ready to bolt on.
What I need help with is : What is the firing order? If I'm looking at the front of the engine which cylinder is # 1. Is it like a small block chevy or like a ford? A picture would be nice. Ajusting the valves, my rocker arms appear to be self adjusting, do I still have to go in order like a chevy or do you just tighten them down to a certain torque spec? One more thing. What is the torque pattern for the intake manifold? I have the head bolt pattern already.
Any help would be great. You can call me if you don't feel like typing it out, or steer me towards a olds web site or something.
Thank You
Nate

n8dawg
07-09-2005, 03:21 PM
oh yeah phone # is (562) 544-8408

Moneypitt
07-09-2005, 03:43 PM
The Olds V8 and the Chevy V8 share the same cylinder location and firing order. The intake torque is 23 to 35 lbs, and the pattern would be the common sense order of the middle out, alternating from side to side.........MP

SmokinLowriderSS
07-09-2005, 03:44 PM
As far as #1 cylinder goes, look at the block. #1 cylinder is an inch farther foreward than #2 (well, 3/4 inch maybe) I THINK it's on the left like other GM blocks, but I am unsure.
Someone with real olds experience will be on sooner or later. I THINK the rockers are non-adjustable so they should just torque into place. I run a Chevy so I can't say with certainty.
I will be greatly surprised if the intake manifold torque pattern is NOT center first alternating to the ends. I know that is not a real "pattern" but I really think it's of less importance than head bolts in a patern.
I've tried to find some things but have not found a lot. I'm just not looking hard enough I suppose. Here's the best place to start. If ya run an Olds, sooner or later, you need Joe (Mondello). :idea:
http://www.mondellotwister.com/

Moneypitt
07-09-2005, 03:57 PM
Oh yeah, I'm assuming it is a hyd stock type valve train, and the rocker pivots are not adjustable. You can however get adjustable pushrods to fine tune the valve adjustment in the upper reaches of the lifter travel to avoid floating valves with oil pressure increases to the lifters.....The Mondello link is a good place to "window" shop for Olds stuff, and there is alot of it out there......MP

n8dawg
07-09-2005, 04:14 PM
thanks guys for the quick response!

SmokinLowriderSS
07-09-2005, 04:40 PM
Window shop across those Mondello Carbon Fibre valve covers sometime. WOOOOOOOOO Pretty. :smile:

BUSBY
07-09-2005, 09:14 PM
Chevy firing order = 18436752
Any others ... you're on you're own

kp216
07-09-2005, 10:21 PM
Here ya go.
Cylinder numbering:
1,3,5,7 driver side - 2,4,6,8 passenger side
Firing order: 1-8-4-3-6-5-7-2

Sleek-Jet
07-09-2005, 10:31 PM
The firing order and cylinders are numbered the same as a Chevy...
However, the olds distributer turns in the opposite direction (counter clockwise I think) than the chevy.
edited to change the way my clock turns :rollside:

kp216
07-10-2005, 03:59 AM
Oldsmobile:
Engine rotates clockwise.
The distributor rotor rotates counter clockwise.
Move distributor clockwise to advance, counter clockwise to retard timing.

sidewound
07-10-2005, 06:48 AM
As long as your in there you should get rid of the turkey tray intake gasket if you don't have it put back together yet.
Oh yeah enough speculation. From the chilton.
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/3371File0750-med.jpg
Peace Man! :cool:
CESAR

Flip
07-10-2005, 07:13 AM
Here ya go.
Cylinder numbering:
1,3,5,7 driver side - 2,4,6,8 passenger side
Firing order: 1-8-4-3-6-5-7-2
Yup.
Click here for ALL the torque specs... (http://www.hotrodshack.com/torque_settings.htm#Note%202)
Distributor runs counter clockwise. Should have non-adjustable pedestal rockers so need to run the valve train.

BAE_557
07-10-2005, 07:27 AM
Oldsmobile websites:
Olds Performance Products (http://www.oldsperformanceproducts.com/)
Dick Miller Racing (http://www.dickmillerracing.com)
Real Olds Power (http://www.realoldspower.com)

BrendellaJet
07-10-2005, 07:34 AM
I wouldn't buy a damn thing from mondello. Prices are sky high. Use them as a reference only. there is a websight called realoldspower-lots of bright guys over there.check it out.

BUSBY
07-10-2005, 08:25 AM
he lost me at "Old Guys"

BUSBY
07-10-2005, 08:27 AM
Oh ... nevermind ... "Olds" ... I must be getting "Oldser"
j/k ... back to the thread ... my failed attempt (again) at humor

SmokinLowriderSS
07-10-2005, 02:35 PM
I giggled BUSBY,,,,,,, but then ..... I'm easy. :rolleyes:

kp216
07-10-2005, 03:02 PM
I giggled BUSBY,,,,,,, but then ..... I'm easy. :rolleyes:
Me too Smokin', and it's gotten me in trouble a couple of times over the years. :D

rerfert
07-10-2005, 08:58 PM
You should do like I did......
I bought my first jet boat (1973 Kona 455 Olds/Jacuzzi WJ pump)
Figure out what year the motor is and buy the auto/engine manual....
The extra $20 is well worth it for the reference.
Also didn't know you could do away with the turkey tray....That alone would have saved me a Major PIA.
I sold my 455 boat and kept the manual.
Now I have a (1979 Omega 460 Ford/Jacuzzi WJ pump) and will buy another manual.
Makes for a good library.

Brooski
07-11-2005, 08:56 AM
Chevy firing order = 18436752
Any others ... you're on you're own
Does your boat run right? Has Nelson been helping you with the plug wires? Cuz you got the 7 and 5 backwards.... :p :)

Brooski
07-11-2005, 09:00 AM
Oh ... nevermind ... "Olds" ... I must be getting "Oldser"
I was gonna give Nate some crap because I did think it said Old Guys. Had to go back and check it. Time to get my eyes checked. :hammerhea

BUSBY
07-12-2005, 10:35 AM
Damn that Nelson ... he gets me every time! No wonder I keep blowing stuff!
I think there were multiple beers involved when I posted that ... you know how I am on a Saturday night at 10 pm ... :messedup: :squiggle:
And the Old/Olds thing ... I still don't know if I should feel offended ... feeling kind of Oldser today after yesterday's throwdown ...
And by the way ... is this a new term, "Oldser"? Kind of a messed up situation when you know your outdated, knowing that there is nothing you can do about it, feeling like crap about it and are kind of embarased about mentioning the situation that you are in?
So my question is ... is it about the Olds or getting Old ... or combine them and become "Oldser"?
:idea:

SmokinLowriderSS
07-12-2005, 02:18 PM
Gotta agree with Rerfert on the manuals. Buy a good auto engine manual and I think you'll be way ahead of where you'll be trying to sift past all the stuff refering to parts found only on marine engines hooked up to ?ropeller drive systems. :D
Man, those things just strike me as dangerous, those spinning EXPOSED metal chopping blades. Expensive when you break one too. I hear broken stern drive items cost 4-digits really fast, and that's before the change comes in after the decimal point. :hammer2:

n8dawg
07-12-2005, 03:52 PM
:D Hey "OLD GUYS" thanks for all the olds advise!!!! :D
Got the engine back together and will be firing it up this weekend.
Brooski... hey bud, you wanna race now? hahaha j/k
I'll see you at the naci lake bash... save a beer for me and my better half!

Brooski
07-12-2005, 06:16 PM
:D Hey "OLD GUYS" thanks for all the olds advise!!!! :D
Got the engine back together and will be firing it up this weekend.
Brooski... hey bud, you wanna race now? hahaha j/k
I'll see you at the naci lake bash... save a beer for me and my better half!
It will be on ice waiting for ya! :D