PDA

View Full Version : Would you ever consider buying a boat...

ROZ
08-25-2002, 10:41 PM
that has a bad water pump? Is there a way that the owner could have known it was bad without him having the motor overheat on him? Same tell tale signs as a car? Bearing noise, Gauges, buzzer, etc.? Boat listed at a good price, but I'd hate to get into a hole right off the bat. After a season or 2 okay, but not right away :)
Audio/Video I know....Boat cooling system, I don't.
Any input and all input is appreciated.
Thanks
Chris
[ August 25, 2002, 11:43 PM: Message edited by: ROZ ]

rivercrazy
08-26-2002, 07:50 AM
I wouldn't ROZ. I bet the motor has been overheated. That's all bad. eek!

gnarley
08-26-2002, 10:34 AM
Tell him to change the pump & then take it out for the full test if the seller is willing to back up his good intention & if you really want it have a survey done.

78Eliminator
08-26-2002, 11:24 AM
I would consider it, then decide no way......

79Hawaiian
08-26-2002, 03:41 PM
If the boat is cheap enough and building a new motor is still cost effective it may be worth it since you will know what you really have verses what you are told you have. I think everyone has gone through that song and dance... "Oh yeah, its real strong and I always changed the oil and yada..yada..yada..." Come to find out you have to build the thing anyways.

Hustler
08-26-2002, 03:48 PM
ROZ, you could always have someone do a compression check on each hole and a pressure check on the cooling system

chaparral2350sx
08-26-2002, 04:54 PM
Roz
Let me tell you a short story. I Purchased a boat and the guy said the boat had a water pump noise. Okay I say just a water pump, boat was very clean and had a new interior. So I bought It this is where the story gets short. $3000 later after the motor rebuild because of a burned piston posibly caused by the a hot motor but later dertermined to be a bad carb was the real culprit. Moral of the story there is somthing else wrong the boat beware! :cool:

77charger
08-26-2002, 07:18 PM
I myself would due to the fact that i can rebuild motors myself.But would be hesitant if i didnt know how to and in this case a compression check would be a good idea.On another note if it was an aluminum headed motor i would shine on it.(aluminum heads can warp easily under high heat)

shockwavebd
08-26-2002, 07:31 PM
run the boat in the water then check the oil for water. .... blownin head gasket

502procharger
08-26-2002, 07:32 PM
i just went through something like this. i was looking for a motor to build and found one on e-bay that had been overheated due to the fact that the water line came off of the sea water pump and the motor got really hot. i was planning on re-building the motor anyway, but needed advise on if people thought it was worth the chance that the heat had ruined all or most of the block and internal parts. it tured out that i got a amazing deal, not only was most of the internals still good, but the cmi headers that were suposed to be cracked ended up being fine. the water got into the motor through a blown head gasket. i took everyones advise from this forum and used it to help me decide what to do. i trusted my gut and checked many of the things these guys on this forum told me to and ended up with a great deal. trust your gut. good luck with whatever you decide.

ROZ
08-26-2002, 10:14 PM
Thanks, you guys are the $hit. Again the forums give me the greatly anticipated input I need. I don't think the boat is going anywhere, just yet. If I decide to go forth, I will use a little of everything you all have suggested in making a decision. The boat is in another a state where I happen to have an uncle(a boater) who resides and is willing to do compression and pressure checks. He'll also see if the heads are aluminum. He'll check the remainder of the boat as well as ask a ton of questions. Fortunately he's a pessemistic(sp) bullshitter, so he'll feel the guy out for the truth. Any bad vibes...NO WAY. I don't mind so much a rebuild as long as I have something to work with, and it appears to be in otherwise good condition. We'll find out though.
Thanks again!
Chris

twistedpair
08-27-2002, 08:56 AM
You mean to tell me that none of you guys have ever lost a water pump? Mine went out a couple years ago. I just idled out of the marina and was getting up to speed when I heard the exhaust tone change, checked the guages and saw the temp pegged. Shut down and got towed back in, rebuilt the pump and have never had a problem since. I'd get a rebuild kit and see how the boat runs before I paid the guy. Worst case your out the price of the kit and your labor if the engine is indeed toasted.

Dennis Moore
09-01-2002, 06:55 PM
Check the exhaust bellows to see if they are burned, look for heat discolored paint on the exhaust manifolds, check the exhaust flappers and give it a compression test. Check the oil for water contamination.
Dennis Moore
Family and Performance Boating Magazine

GOODFELLOW
09-05-2002, 08:12 PM
I had a water pump impeller go bad on my bravo one mercruiser, When I saw the temp go up I shut it down towed home and replaced the impeller that had fallen apart.
The motor had no damage to it.