PDA

View Full Version : how to remove boat from trailer

axkiker
05-02-2006, 12:50 PM
Hey i might be able to get a smoking deal on a boat. The thing is that the hull has been beat up prety bad from beaching it on rocks. I have a couple questions concerning this.
#1 I dont see any places where it looks like there was an impact. So it only looks to be big gouges etc. Can the places where the gel coat is removed soak up water and cause any problems. Or is it no big deal. This boat is not in the water very long. A couple days at a time at the most.
# 2 im big into auto restorations and show cars. Built and painted many. Just completed painting graphics down the side of a boat for the first time and found its even easier than a car. So i would like to do the work myself. My question is how in th world do I get the boat off the trailer where i can work under it. Kinda seems a lil scary if you ask me but people apparently do it all the time. Its only a 22 ft boat so nothing huge.
#3 anything special you all recommend when doing it. I understand i have to use gel coat but any particular brand etc.
thanks again

Water Romper
05-02-2006, 04:08 PM
axkiker,
Try posting the same question in the "Paint" forum. Hit up Billy B over there, that guy is a wizard when it comes to boat painting.
Remember to take some before and after photos for the peeps here. :)

NashvilleBound
05-02-2006, 04:42 PM
Very carefully...........(its the alcohol talking)..... :)

hoolign
05-02-2006, 04:46 PM
Very carefully...........(its the alcohol talking)..... :)
On HB ?? say it aint so!! :rollside:

2Driver
05-02-2006, 04:52 PM
When I repainted the trailer on my old 21' spectra many moons ago we attached at the transom eyes (2) and the bow eye. Spectra made a solid hull. However, it was only "up" for a few seconds and a few inches, before we placed on a stationary bunk underneath it.
Larger marinas/dealers use a hoist and strap underneath the entire hull. I was lucky to know one of the guys at Nordic who happened to have an old hoist in his back yard - looks like 2 A-frames connected with a center main beam above. Perhaps you can dig one up somewhere?
Be carefull and go slow.

Sotally Tober
05-02-2006, 07:04 PM
Here is how they did mine when my trailer was built. Yes, I was very nervous to say the least!
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/3284F82FDF22-0771-2E0E-11494FE78EF36194.jpg

Jim W
05-02-2006, 08:24 PM
If I can assume a few things, here is how I do it.
Assuming you have a bunk style trailer:
Get onto a flat/lever area.
Undo the trailer from your truck and let the tounge (sp?) down onto the ground with a floor jack. This way the ass is up in the air and the trailer hitch is on the ground.
I like to use boat stands but the square cement chimmny blocks also will work to block up the rear.
Now jack up the tounge of the trailer higher than --level-- as you need to slide the trailer out.
I use either an engine crane to hold the bow up and/or blocking under the keel and get the boat up off the trailer and then start sliding the trailer out.
Sometimes the trailer is complicated with the bunks and you have to work a bit but it's not all that bad.
If you have a roller style trailer:
You need to secure the back of the boat to something so you can hold the boat in position as the trailer is taken out from underneath the boat.
Secure the boat and start driving the trailer (attatched to truck) forward about 1'-- set blocks under the transom. Drive forward a few more feet and the transome will settle on the rear suports.
Keep driving forward until the trailer is about 3/4 out and only the rear most rollers are still suporting the bow and the bow is slowly falling. Now block the bow up with blocks or a stand and continue pulling out the trailer. The boat will settle onto the front support and it's off!!
To get it back on.
Back the trailer under the boat (slowly) untill the front blocks start to lift off. Dont push it off the rear blocking!!!
Hook the winch to the front eye and start cranking the trailer underneath the boat (with the truck attached) and crank the trailer back under the boat.
You will chit your pants the first few time you do it. Then it is no big deal really.
Hope this helps??
Be good, Jim

a catered life
05-02-2006, 08:35 PM
ok i bite try launching it :p

Jim W
05-02-2006, 08:40 PM
Bob,
I can have a boat under 25' off the trailer faster than you can get 2 guys on fork lifts to get it done.
Less money, less room, less maint. and there is always the ---ooooops factor with machinery, Etc.
Be good, Jim

axkiker
05-03-2006, 04:09 AM
Thanks a bunch. I never thought about it but I have an engine hoist that has a pretty long boom. I can just use that to jack up the front of the boat and block up the back.
Thanks for the help

Keithb87
05-03-2006, 05:43 AM
Thanks a bunch. I never thought about it but I have an engine hoist that has a pretty long boom. I can just use that to jack up the front of the boat and block up the back.
Thanks for the help
:idea:Remember that the longer you make the boom, The less wieght it will safely lift. :idea:

BigBlockBaja
05-03-2006, 06:01 AM
You're probably right, but forklifts are cool. Chicks dig guys that can handle a forklift. :D
Im trading in my Chevy for a Hyster. :crossx:

Jim W
05-03-2006, 08:16 AM
Thanks a bunch. I never thought about it but I have an engine hoist that has a pretty long boom
and chicks REALLY dig guy's with a "pretty long boom" ------------------->
Be good, Jim