PDA

View Full Version : New msd box died 3 weeks old help 6al plus box

ANY&ALL
07-09-2005, 04:13 PM
i did as instructions told me to trouble shoot no power to coil from box no spark and pulling the triger wire and coil wire from cap and grounding trigger wire no spark replaced coil no spark it's the box does anybody have wiring for just coil and dist thanks frustrated 400.00 box 3 weeks broke what the hell

Squirtcha?
07-09-2005, 04:23 PM
frustrated 400.00 box 3 weeks broke what the hell
Exactly why I've avoided "The Box" all this time. I know they work well (when they work), but they're too temperamental for me.

Blown 472
07-09-2005, 04:35 PM
i did as instructions told me to trouble shoot no power to coil from box no spark and pulling the triger wire and coil wire from cap and grounding trigger wire no spark replaced coil no spark it's the box does anybody have wiring for just coil and dist thanks frustrated 400.00 box 3 weeks broke what the hell
third time I have shipped a msd back to get fixxed. Going with a crane hi6 next time buddy has had one for many years and never a problem, better rev limter too.

sanger rat
07-09-2005, 04:50 PM
I'll never understand what you guys do to your MSD boxes. Mine has been in the S-10 then the Nova and now in the boat for over a year now. Never one lick of trouble.

Squirtcha?
07-09-2005, 05:06 PM
I'll never understand what you guys do to your MSD boxes. Mine has been in the S-10 then the Nova and now in the boat for over a year now. Never one lick of trouble.
Boats is different. I'll save this post for posterity. Maybe we can dredge it up later? It's only been in your boat for a year.
Personally I'm not hip to something that can work when you test fire it in the driveway prior to a long weekend, then die when you go to launch (without warning).
K.I.S.S. theory.
My ignition has been described as archaic (and worse) but it always seems to work, and I don't think the "state of the art" stuff will make it any faster, start any easier, or make it run any better (perceptibly anyway).

tahitijet
07-09-2005, 05:13 PM
I had 1 issue with mine which was my fault.. and the others that i've heard about were all installer issues (bad grounds).. I'm sure they can just go bad on there own but MSD has made a great name for themself and it wasn't by saleing products that for no good reason go out.

Squirtcha?
07-09-2005, 05:20 PM
Not knocking the stuff (although it probably sounds that way) but CBBB was almost amazing last year. Must've been 3 or 4 of them that crapped out and left their owners out of the action.
It's just a matter of personal preference for me.
I can't see having something in the picture that I don't absolutely need, and obviously I don't absolutely need it. Been running for lots of years without so.........

Ralph Brunt
07-09-2005, 05:53 PM
Not knocking the stuff (although it probably sounds that way) but CBBB was almost amazing last year. Must've been 3 or 4 of them that crapped out and left their owners out of the action.
It's just a matter of personal preference for me.
I can't see having something in the picture that I don't absolutely need, and obviously I don't absolutely need it. Been running for lots of years without so.........
hey squirtcha i was thinking of going with the msd but you got me worried like to know what you are using before i go spend a bunch a $$$$$ thanks ralph

tahitijet
07-09-2005, 06:11 PM
Yup one of those was me.... Put us on the trailer early saturday. It was my fault though.. bad choice of ground location and i didn't use a lock nut and it backed off causing the short. MSD fixed it up and had it back to me within 2 weeks for 30 bucks including shipping.

Blown 472
07-09-2005, 06:50 PM
I was looking at those.... Will the crane connector fit the MSD Dist connector? Plug and play or do you need to modifiey the connectors......
Dunno, we use stock dizzys.

nastyhabit
07-09-2005, 07:02 PM
thats werd i thought i had the only msd box that took a dive dig 6 one year old fired up one day didnt run right,then wouldnt start ,sent to msd a month later it comes back with a sticker that says uneconomicly unrepairable ?.... 3 bones for a few trips,im a little cranky--nasty

crf311
07-09-2005, 07:04 PM
i'm using a stk HEI unit with no problems yet.

ANY&ALL
07-09-2005, 07:15 PM
thanks for all the input i have a mallory dist and converted it to pertronics so i diconected the box and hooked it up the old way to the coil touched the key and fired right up my ground was staight to the battery with a ring termal and sorry the box was a digital 6 msd cost 309.00 plus tax going to send it back have it fixed it has the start retard nos retard staging rev limter and max rev limiter and i think some one should make me an offer

Kindsvater Flat
07-09-2005, 07:31 PM
I run a 7AL-2 in the boat open to everything with zero problems. Hasn't even shocked the passenger yet.
http://www.schoutenranch.com/gallery/albums/userpics/10001/normal_msd.JPG

advantage21
07-09-2005, 08:00 PM
i gotta 6m box on hold at rex now i'm not sure if i should buy it to upgrade my system after seeing all the problems you guys are havin.

ANY&ALL
07-09-2005, 08:12 PM
i think i just wasted alot of money paid 200 for the mallory dist with points and the 6m-2 box and blaster 2 coil then i needed a rev limter so i went with the digital 6 box 309 plus tax then i upgraded the dist from points to pertronics 75 order spring kit from mallory 25 and new coil today to isolate the problem 47 plus tax and new cap day before 38 so i have roughly 700 dollars and i'm going to buy a msd pro billet hei and call it good because i only need one carb i'm fine with my 81.7gps in my 1979 gt

BrendellaJet
07-09-2005, 08:12 PM
Nearly all of the problems I have heard of were due to a poor ground. Some even worked after connecting to a good ground. Think of how may boxes they make, there's gonna be a few that dont work. Sounds like they take care of the customer most of the time as long as it wasn't in a boat (need the 6m for that-dont think that one can be repaired...)...Its cool if you like the old school ignition. My engine builder recommends I use MSD-If he says Ill make more power with it, I beleive him.

Squirtcha?
07-10-2005, 07:39 AM
Its cool if you like the old school ignition. My engine builder recommends I use MSD-If he says Ill make more power with it, I beleive him.
If someone told me "you'll get another 50 horspower by running "The Box". I'd probably risk it. I don't think you'd get more than a couple hp at best (unless the old ignition system that it replaced had problems and it wasn't running right to begin with).
Once again, don't get me wrong. Multiple spark is an awesome concept and obviously it works. Maybe if I had a dedicated race boat????? Mine's a lake boat. One that I want to be reliable, start, and work every time I take it out.
Not to say that there isn't something else on it that might sidetrack me, but "The Box" will never be one of em.
I run the Mallory Unilite optics distributor, Mallory Promaster coil (the coil was on the boat when I bought it 9 years ago), and that's it.
Lots of people don't like the Mallory stuff. Honestly, I bought it because it was cheap ($150 for a brand new distributor at the time). I keep using it because it works.
Good luck with whatever you choose to use.

rsoscia
07-10-2005, 08:32 AM
Nearly all of the problems I have heard of were due to a poor ground. Some even worked after connecting to a good ground. Think of how may boxes they make, there's gonna be a few that dont work. Sounds like they take care of the customer most of the time as long as it wasn't in a boat (need the 6m for that-dont think that one can be repaired...)...Its cool if you like the old school ignition. My engine builder recommends I use MSD-If he says Ill make more power with it, I beleive him.
Right about that the 6m boxes cant be repaired cause there potted in resin ...dont waste your money sending the 6m back to msd... my 6m box went bad...lasted a couple of years got a new one on the internet for 250

BUSBY
07-10-2005, 09:21 AM
I got one word for you guys ... MAGNETO!
Why spend all of the money on MSD? There are pros and cons ... if you want to dial in a race set up, MSD all of the way, we've used 6's, 7's, 8's & 10's ... all with their own little quirks ... but no real big deals. MSD sells a large manual for like $25 - $30 that will be a huge help in this adventure and future ones ... diagnosing all of thier systems.
But for me, Mallory SuperMag IV ... send it in every 3 years for servicing ($80) and you'll never have to worry about it. Runs on it's own ... just need the battery to start.
Just my .02
Brian

nastyhabit
07-12-2005, 06:58 PM
thats it busby thats what im gunna run a 12 msd mybe see ya at ming going to run BGJ late this year or 06 ill be in the R&D marine camp with a duel drive tunnel ,the other deul drive boats going for the 200 mark

BUSBY
07-12-2005, 09:11 PM
Ahhh ... the Bruces' are reappearing ... and so is Don Harris for '06 from what I heard ... with Fuentes breaking into the 7's it should be a good year for BGJ!
:D

HammerDown
07-13-2005, 03:10 PM
If I did go box...Crane HI6 :wink:

Jeanyus
07-13-2005, 03:46 PM
I'm no genius, but it seems like water and computers don't mix. I have used a Mallory Unilite and a 40,000 volt coil. I have had it in 2 different boats, going on 9 years now, with no trouble.
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/585985bahner.jpg
I have had small tsunamies, come over the back of my boat, and drench the ignition, never missed a spark. For a rev limiter, I use my right foot, just lift when the boat jumps out of the water.

460 jus getn it
07-13-2005, 04:01 PM
I run a 7AL-2 in the boat open to everything with zero problems. Hasn't even shocked the passenger yet.
o let me tell you being shocked bye on of those boxs is not fun at all.i have had my 6al box for 5 months now with no problem.......

sleekvino
07-13-2005, 05:09 PM
in my last boat i had a complete msd kit and i went through 3 455 motors but never had any trouble with the msd unit.it always fired right up.

cave
07-13-2005, 06:15 PM
I've had my MSD 6al box with the MSD distributer since 1999. Last year, 04 was the 1st summer my boat didn't finish a season. Pump gave up.
My MSD has lasted 5 years so far and it has been wet (monsoons)and in direct Arizona sunlight. I hope it don't go bad on me this Sunday :frown: :hammer2: on wood!!!!!!
I bought this set up thinking that my ignition was a problem. besides I hate points. It was water in my fuel. Lesson learned.

Jet City
07-13-2005, 06:27 PM
I've been looking into ignition systems recently, I think the only reasonable way to set up one of these multi-spark boxes up (for lake boat) is after a distributor that has its own amplifier (Uni-lite, HEI, MSD ready-to-run, etc) and be prepaired to convert back to distributor only in the event of a failure.
Mallory's CD ignitions (685 series) come with a "bypass plug" for this reason, I'd imagine with the bypass plug and an extra ignition module a guy could cover any ignition trouble and get started again.
I like the features some of the boxes have (start retart, window sw, rev control), but I'm very tempted to try a magneto because they are simple and really cool.

Squirtcha?
07-13-2005, 08:12 PM
besides I hate points. It was water in my fuel. Lesson learned.
You don't need to have a box to get rid of the points. I don't have a box (or points).

ANY&ALL
07-13-2005, 09:11 PM
thanks everyone for all your replies i had pertronics already in the dist. and a blaster to coil so i just got ride of the box the shocker was that i didn't notice a thing and it gps the same #s well around it was a little faster but it was because that 30 gal fuel tank was low on fuel. i bought everything through summit and they were awsome said return exchange or refund i choose refund and i choose to run msd bad ass hei,built in rev limiter adjustable timing curves with a dial all in one neat set up a since i'll never run two carbs because i beileve that you always can do as good with one so i can get away with that big cap thanks everybody

Squirtin Thunder
07-13-2005, 09:35 PM
thanks everyone for all your replies i had pertronics already in the dist. and a blaster to coil so i just got ride of the box the shocker was that i didn't notice a thing and it gps the same #s well around it was a little faster but it was because that 30 gal fuel tank was low on fuel. i bought everything through summit and they were awsome said return exchange or refund i choose refund and i choose to run msd bad ass hei,built in rev limiter adjustable timing curves with a dial all in one neat set up a since i'll never run two carbs because i beileve that you always can do as good with one so i can get away with that big cap thanks everybody
Chad call me !!! :idea:

Squirtcha?
07-13-2005, 10:06 PM
Glad it all worked out for ya. Doesn't surprise me that it runs as well on the hei setup. IMO you're right about the single carb vs. dual carb thing too.

Rampager
07-14-2005, 07:29 PM
Ok now this is too funny. I read this thread 4-5 days ago, well out on the Lake tonight I died in the water just before making it back to the ramps.
The boat was hesitating on and off ,much like it would when running low on fuel. I finally decided that fuel starvation was impossible even with the rough conditions cause I have saddle tanks in the new hull and I doubt they would slosh at the exact same time. It was very rough(Lake Ontario)
I didn't do much searching but I didn't appear to have spark at the coil. Now I did notice the positive lead which I have attached to the main positive on the starter was very loose. Im wondering if an intermittant "+" connection can also fry the box? I have a backup which I will stick on there for now but I will send this box back to MSD. Ive only driven the boat 4 times with that box but if I find it is the box Im sure its my own fault for the loose connection. I've never had any other problems with it otherwise. Well except the time I sank lol
Cheers