PDA

View Full Version : Just pulled my outdrive

Redneck
07-09-2005, 08:47 PM
Just pulled the outdrive on my boat due to a noise coming from the lower unit when I would turn hard fast or just at idle. Sounded like U joints or even the gimble bearing. Got everything off and everything looks brand new no play in the bearing or U joint. Sounding like my problem is worse then I thought might be in the lower unit. In the water doesnt sound that bad out of the water sounds like things are coming apart and the drive vibrates leading me to believe the lover unit now Any Ideas out there? Im running the Alpha drive. Thanks in advance Now im going to go have a beer and pout. :cry:

Beer-30
07-09-2005, 09:54 PM
Coupler. Turning puts a bit more load on the coupler, so I would look there. Also, a worn coupler will rattle at idle (floating load).

SnakeWrench
07-09-2005, 10:50 PM
Nope,doubt it's the coupler. 2 things.. When you ran it out of the water, how far up was the drive? 2. how much play is in the prop shaft? One other thing, How's the alignment. If its off, the whole boat will jump.
Pull the bottom plug and see if there is any metal in it.

Redneck
07-09-2005, 11:40 PM
Nope,doubt it's the coupler. 2 things.. When you ran it out of the water, how far up was the drive? 2. how much play is in the prop shaft? One other thing, How's the alignment. If its off, the whole boat will jump.
Pull the bottom plug and see if there is any metal in it.
drained the oil and no metal shavings. out of the water had the drive all the way down and had to get it to about 1500 to 2000 rpms to make the noise with the drive turned all the way to the side. In the water Idle you can hear the noise. Everything looks good when I pulled the drive. No wearing and no metal. Drained the oil to see if I could find any metal and oil looked good and no metal.

Redneck
07-09-2005, 11:40 PM
Coupler. Turning puts a bit more load on the coupler, so I would look there. Also, a worn coupler will rattle at idle (floating load).
Ill check that in the morning good idea thanks

Beer-30
07-09-2005, 11:53 PM
It's just an idea. I haven't had one go yet, but have heard stories of such symptoms. That's about all it can be if all else looks ok. Can't imagine much of anything in the drive that could go without leaving shavings. If you are not seeing metal in the oil, there could still be something loose, I suppose, inside that would take disassembly to find. Just seems that the coupler would be the next thing in line to go. Hope that's it and not a whole new drive! :shift:

quiet riot
07-10-2005, 02:14 AM
Does the-joint move freely? Sometimes they get a little stiff and will cause a vibration. Make sure the engine mounts are tight and check the alignment especially if it looks like the mounts are loose or have moved.
jd

Mrs.Racer277
07-10-2005, 06:10 AM
Oh no that is terrible news. :( Hope you get it fixed in time for our next trip in August. Good luck hun.

Redneck
07-10-2005, 07:56 AM
Oh no that is terrible news. :( Hope you get it fixed in time for our next trip in August. Good luck hun.
Im going to try finances getting low but always seem to make things work ill do some overtime while im down. Thanks for the good ideas ill look at the alignment and couplers. those are easier to check before I start tearing into the outdrive.

SnakeWrench
07-10-2005, 09:34 AM
Hey Neck, you said with the drive turned all the way to one side. Every drive ever made will make a u-joint noise when the drive is turned with the trim all the way down. If you trim it up a click or two and do it again, you'll find that the noise goes away. Check your input shaft and see if the splines have any ridges on them , if not, fill the drive, grease everything and try it on the lake.
I work on about 500 boats a year and this is a common worry that usually turns out to be nothing more than u-joint bind.
E-mail me and I'll give you my #
flyinggreek84@adelphia.net
Later

Redneck
07-10-2005, 09:51 AM
Hey Neck, you said with the drive turned all the way to one side. Every drive ever made will make a u-joint noise when the drive is turned with the trim all the way down. If you trim it up a click or two and do it again, you'll find that the noise goes away. Check your input shaft and see if the splines have any ridges on them , if not, fill the drive, grease everything and try it on the lake.
I work on about 500 boats a year and this is a common worry that usually turns out to be nothing more than u-joint bind.
E-mail me and I'll give you my #
flyinggreek84@adelphia.net
Later
problem is out of the water the drive vibrates alot when turned and sounds horrible hope thats its everything between drive and engine that I can see is looking brand new. sounds like its in lower unit but no metal in oil very weird