PDA

View Full Version : Timing Light

Cole Sanger
07-10-2005, 08:35 AM
What should I look for when buying a timing light? Anyone have any suggestions on a good brand? I am not a mechanic, but I would like to buy one once, not two or three times. I was looking at a couple on Summit. One was the Equus Products Digital Timing Light for $110, and the other was the Equus Products Pro Timing Light for $200. I am thinking $200 is too much for my needs, unless it is worth it. The only difference I see it them is that the Pro model has a backlit display, displays the dwell reading, displays the volt reading, and works on "DIS" ignitions (what is a DIS ignition?). Are these features worth the extra $90? Do I even need the $110 model? I am looking for something that will last a long time, and work on multiple applications. Thanks for the help.

Moneypitt
07-10-2005, 09:03 AM
Which ever you choose, make sure it has the dial back feature. A million dollar timing light is only as good as the accuracy of the timing pointer to actual TDC. Very few stock pointer/scales are dead on, so the timing light is only to get close, and use the setting as a baseline. So, a good quality light, craftsman, snap on, or several others with the "dial back" feature work fine. I wouldn't go nuts for your purpose...........Oh yeah, inductive, the type that just clip over the wire is also handy..........MP

Hallett19
07-10-2005, 09:27 AM
Go for the Craftsman with the dial. Its extremley accurate and very affordable, as well as durable :wink:

victorfb
07-10-2005, 10:16 AM
the craftsman is the choice of so many. this topic has been discussed before and most seem to go with the craftsman. i have one and it works great.

JetBoatRich
07-10-2005, 02:19 PM
the craftsman is the choice of so many. this topic has been discussed before and most seem to go with the craftsman. i have one and it works great.
Picked one up two weeks ago :D I believe it was around $75

GofastRacer
07-10-2005, 06:08 PM
I have a craftsman that I bought in the early 80's and it still works like the day I bought it but it's not a dial back though!. I have a Jacobs dial back and it works great!.. :cool:

19cobaltcd
07-10-2005, 06:10 PM
Have a Craftsman dial back I've had for years. Great timing light.

Fiat48
07-10-2005, 08:36 PM
Have craftsman. No dial.

blowngas
07-13-2005, 06:24 AM
I like the battery powered self inductance type made by flaming river-------works well with mags and regular systems----only one wire to clip around plug wire----push button on light and read-----doesn't take up a lot of space in tool box I take to races

PE 316
07-13-2005, 08:39 AM
The "Flaming River" Self-Powered, Inductive Pick-up timing light is the SHIZNIT!!! I am very happy with mine!

david_396
07-13-2005, 04:27 PM
Heard a rumor that a Dial back timing light won't work with a MSD ignition. Any truth to that. Thanks, :cool: david

Moneypitt
07-13-2005, 07:55 PM
If the ignition has a "brain" it may override the dial back feature, but the dial back is simply absorbing the advance at the rate of the dial setting, allowing the degree of advance to be brought back to zero on the pointer/scale. I have heard that a common timing light won't work with a mag, but thats all I've ever used. Afterall, these adjustments and readings are more about a reference point, than precision absolute settings. How accurate is the pointer/scale unless it is calibrated during engine degreeing of absolute TDC. So the readings most of us get with a timing light are just a reference point to tune from......If my dial back is not accurate with the mag, at least it is consistant........MP

GofastRacer
07-13-2005, 08:04 PM
The "Flaming River" Self-Powered, Inductive Pick-up timing light is the SHIZNIT!!! I am very happy with mine!
The only thing I didn't care for is that the light isn't bright enough, other than that it works pretty good!.. :cool:

Kindsvater Flat
07-13-2005, 08:39 PM
This is the one I have. Its a Snappy. Lists for $516.00
http://www.snapondiag.com/new__images/timing_light/digital_tach_timing_light.jpg

Cole Sanger
07-13-2005, 09:03 PM
For $516, it tunes the engine for you right? :supp:

Oldsquirt
07-13-2005, 09:15 PM
If the ignition has a "brain" it may override the dial back feature, but the dial back is simply absorbing the advance at the rate of the dial setting, allowing the degree of advance to be brought back to zero on the pointer/scale.
MP, the timing light's dial-back feature has zero effect on the actual timing. The dial-back circuity only changes the timing of it's light relative to the inductive pickup being triggered by the spark energy in the plug wire.
I think some lights may have compatability issues with certain high output ignitions. I recall someone a few years back trying to time an MSD-equipped engine with a bargain priced light and it was a lost cause. My Snap-on light worked just fine on that same engine.

Oldsquirt
07-13-2005, 09:17 PM
http://www.snapondiag.com/new__images/timing_light/digital_tach_timing_light.jpg
That's the nice one, MIke. I'm still using the old red ray-gun looking Snap-On light with the manual dial. If it ever breaks(it's 20+ years old) maybe I'll replace it with one of those. :)

Kindsvater Flat
07-13-2005, 09:30 PM
Nah but it looks cool with the snap-on logo scrolling across the screen. I use the hell out of mine since my profession is a mechanic but for the normal home user I would take the craftsman.

INEEDAV
07-14-2005, 04:52 AM
$516 it better dance in my lap :jawdrop:

JetBoatRich
07-14-2005, 05:19 AM
I have used this model :D works well :D

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
07-14-2005, 05:56 AM
$516 it better dance in my lap :jawdrop:
And then come over here and dance in my lap as well. Hell it better open the case up for me :D :D

Moneypitt
07-14-2005, 09:48 AM
I am aware that the dial back feature doesn't actually change the timing, but with all the new ign boxes out there you just never know how they might affect readings. Anything is possible, doubtful, but possible..............MP

Stingray69
07-14-2005, 10:41 AM
29 year old Sun, inductive, no dial back.
Friggin' love it.
DIS= Digital Ignition System
I have MSD 6M and MSD Billet Marine Dist.

HammerDown
07-14-2005, 10:42 AM
29 year old Sun, inductive, no dial back.
Friggin' love it.
I concur...mine 30 year old one still works fine.

Oldsquirt
07-14-2005, 10:56 AM
I keep one of those Sun lights here at home. Nice and bright. For work, though, the dial back is just about mandatory.

07-21-2005, 01:46 AM
ferret intruments #81

h2ojet001
07-21-2005, 10:57 AM
I recently spoke to MSD tech support and they told me to use a simple inductive type light with no dial.

Hemicbx
07-21-2005, 11:15 AM
Craftsman gun, No dial, Timing tape.

LeE ss13
07-21-2005, 05:12 PM
Some of the Dial units don't work with a Mag. Craftsman no dial, OK.

Just Tool'n
07-21-2005, 08:50 PM
And that my friends is a dam good timing light!

GofastRacer
07-21-2005, 08:55 PM
Some of the Dial units don't work with a Mag. Craftsman no dial, OK.
Zig told me not ot use a timing light with a Vertex it's not accurate, the only way is to use a buzz box!..

Fiat48
07-21-2005, 09:21 PM
Now I have read that about buzzing mags but for the life of me I cannot understand why they prefer that to a timing light. Hunt was the same way.
Has Zig ever said that using a buzz box will cause the timing to be more advanced or retarded than using a light? Which?

blowngas
07-22-2005, 07:20 AM
would think it would be a little retarded???----always used the box to set up for initial startup, then checked with lite!!!-----ya mean I've been doing it wrong for all these years!!!!

tbanzer
07-22-2005, 03:26 PM
I bought an Equuus digital advenace light when they first came out. What a piece of junk. I was on the phone with their engineers countless times to try and get this thing to work. They finally sent me out the pro magnetic pick up and it worked fair for about 6months, then it quit. I called them back again and they sent me out the pro light and it has worked flawlessly fo 10 years now.