PDA

View Full Version : Classic Car Question/spam

spectratoad
07-11-2005, 09:26 AM
No this is not boat related, actually it is since I am selling my project to pay for boat stuff.
I am selling my 1954 Ford F100. It is a complete, solid, never wrecked, rustfree project. Has a 302 V8 in it. My dads friend drove it daily until he parked it in my dads backyard about 15years ago. I acquired it a few years ago but want to put some money into my boat.
My question:
Does anyone know of a website or a place to look to see what this is worth? I am not sure what to ask for it.
I was thinking $2k-$2500. NADA says low retail, which includes "Deteriorated Restorations", is at $5400.
Thanks for the help :)
I don't like cats so I am not worried about that but I will try to post pics soon. :wink:

al cole'holic
07-11-2005, 09:30 AM
No this is not boat related, actually it is since I am selling my project to pay for boat stuff.
I am selling my 1954 Ford F100. It is a complete, solid, never wrecked, rustfree project. Has a 302 V8 in it. My dads friend drove it daily until he parked it in my dads backyard about 15years ago. I acquired it a few years ago but want to put some money into my boat.
My question:
Does anyone know of a website or a place to look to see what this is worth? I am not sure what to ask for it.
I was thinking $2k-$2500. NADA says low retail, which includes "Deteriorated Restorations", is at $5400.
I don't like cats so I am not worried about that but I will try to post pics soon. :wink:
..well you got my attention! Go get some pics damnit........

Jbb
07-11-2005, 09:36 AM
Vintage auto value is dicey at best...bottom line is ...its worth what the market will bear......
Go to www.hemmingsmotornews.com
or buy their magazine.......look around at comparable stuff thats for sale...throw out the highs and lows.....based on condition.....and see what the ones that are selling are going for ......

jbtrailerjim
07-11-2005, 09:36 AM
My first vehicle when I was a kid was a 53 F-100, that my dad and I restored. I have always wanted another one as project. Post some pics of it or e-mail them to me. I might be interested in it. jbtrailerjim@aol.com.

spectratoad
07-11-2005, 09:37 AM
Yes sir. :2purples: I wait I retired from that yes sir stuff so I don't have to say that anymore. :wink:

spectratoad
07-12-2005, 10:00 AM
Hemmings, That's it. :p I couldn't remember the name and put in Haynes. Kept getting repair manuals or underwear. :confused:

liquidasset
07-12-2005, 10:01 AM
The ford/mustang trader would probably be your best chance to see value in that vehicle . Keep in mind though it's still only worth what someone is willing to pay for it. Hope this helps . Sometimes Nada is not the most accurate for colector cars .

spectratoad
07-12-2005, 10:22 AM
Yeah I wasn't relying on NADA for a solid price. I was trying to find something like you just said and Hemmings. Here are some pics.
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/209Shasta_056-med.jpg
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/209Shasta_058-med.jpg
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/209Shasta_059-med.jpg
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/209Shasta_057-med.jpg
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/209Shasta_060-med.jpg
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/209Shasta_061-med.jpg

meaniam
07-12-2005, 10:50 AM
Vintage auto value is dicey at best...bottom line is ...its worth what the market will bear......
Go to www.hemmingsmotornews.com
or buy their magazine.......look around at comparable stuff thats for sale...throw out the highs and lows.....based on condition.....and see what the ones that are selling are going for ......
hemming motors is a dreamland those ad remain forever or those people give up on thrying to sell them. it is like looking in dupont registry for 84 corvettes.those people think they can get 35k for averange daily driven vets an 84 vet in a 8 condition is worth 3k to 6.5k another place for dreamers i recommend picking up your classic car trader and a recycler those are everyday real prices also use ebay motors but keep in mind ebay motors is sometimes high and sometimes low. as far as classic cars southern california is one of the best places to sell. i have sold 5 classics and only 1 stayed in california. the rest went to japan germany austrilllia and washington dc to be shipped somewhere. your classic auto trader and recycler can be picked up at almost any gas station but will forsurly be found at am/pm and 7 11
if you take your truck to pomona with a real price on it. you will leave with an empty trailer. i advertise in auto trader and recycler online with great results 2 k to 2.5k is a good price. in hemming you will see guys with trucks like yours starting at 8 k 13k and proably over 16k they never sell them for that
mike

SummitKarl
07-12-2005, 11:02 AM
My question:
well basied on the pic's your about right on the price $2k-$3k, but if that was resotored (I mean CLEAN!!!) it would fetch more like 10x what your asking. it looks as though it would take about $7-$10k to get it there. The Classic Car market is once again seeing a big boom in prices as the Baby Boomers try to reclaim parts of their youth, I am willing to bet you could double your investment on the restoration.

meaniam
07-12-2005, 11:25 AM
well basied on the pic's your about right on the price $2k-$3k, but if that was resotored (I mean CLEAN!!!) it would fetch more like 10x what your asking. it looks as though it would take about $7-$10k to get it there. The Classic Car market is once again seeing a big boom in prices as the Baby Boomers try to reclaim parts of their youth, I am willing to bet you could double your investment on the restoration.
i would agree for 7k you could get 16 - 20k done

Jbb
07-12-2005, 11:28 AM
hemming motors is a dreamland those ad remain forever or those people give up on thrying to sell them. it is like looking in dupont registry for 84 corvettes.those people think they can get 35k for averange daily driven vets an 84 vet in a 8 condition is worth 3k to 6.5k another place for dreamers i recommend picking up your classic car trader and a recycler those are everyday real prices also use ebay motors but keep in mind ebay motors is sometimes high and sometimes low. as far as classic cars southern california is one of the best places to sell. i have sold 5 classics and only 1 stayed in california. the rest went to japan germany austrilllia and washington dc to be shipped somewhere. your classic auto trader and recycler can be picked up at almost any gas station but will forsurly be found at am/pm and 7 11
if you take your truck to pomona with a real price on it. you will leave with an empty trailer. i advertise in auto trader and recycler online with great results 2 k to 2.5k is a good price. in hemming you will see guys with trucks like yours starting at 8 k 13k and proably over 16k they never sell them for that
mike
Dreamland...lol......ok...I have bought and sold over a dozen cars there....lol...Oh yeah ...I forgot...Its different in California....lol.... :cool:

meaniam
07-12-2005, 01:11 PM
Dreamland...lol......ok...I have bought and sold over a dozen cars there....lol...Oh yeah ...I forgot...Its different in California....lol.... :cool:
gee then i am sitting on a gold mine and have a huge amount of future potential. hey everybody hemming motor says im rich!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Jbb
07-12-2005, 01:44 PM
gee then i am sitting on a gold mine and have a huge amount of future potential. hey everybody hemming motor says im rich!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1
Yep.....I see potential.....

boatnaked
07-12-2005, 02:33 PM
I built a "55" several years ago, I only gave $700.00 for the truck and drove it about 60 miles home, the price of part is not cheap, even used ones, The parts are easy to come by, there is allot of after market catalogs, I did the truck pretty much from the frame up but only wanted a driver not a show truck, I won a few awards at local shows but it was more for fun and girl watching, (not being rude) but from the way your truck looks I'd say if you got between $2 to $3000 you would be doing good, the problem is that parts and labor cost allot and no one wants to start with a big investment, also trucks do not sale as good as old coupes and roadsters. My sons want to buy mine, I figured I could get about $8000 if I sold it out right but I told them the first one with $5000 gets it. can't just give it to one of them. then to top it off the truck has not left the garage in 4 years. tried to post picture but will not let me, even changed from a "jpeg to a gif" will not up load also reduced down to 15% of the orginial size

coolchange
07-12-2005, 04:02 PM
Those trucks are "out of favor" now. 2k -2.5k seems about right. Best thing you could do is make it run- move on its own. People have a thing for that even if they're gonna pull the drive train. And it will cost an extra 4-500 to ship a non running car. And current papers/ non- op. / pink. You won't get 50 cents on the dollar for anything you do to the truck unless your a fabricator or body guy, then your just makin wages. Throw it on E-bay with a hi reserve, if someone really wants it they will try to find out what its gonna take. You'll find that one guy in North Dakota, who drove one to high school and tore off his first piece in one just like it and has to have it!

meaniam
07-12-2005, 10:10 PM
Those trucks are "out of favor" now. 2k -2.5k seems about right. Best thing you could do is make it run- move on its own. People have a thing for that even if they're gonna pull the drive train. And it will cost an extra 4-500 to ship a non running car. And current papers/ non- op. / pink. You won't get 50 cents on the dollar for anything you do to the truck unless your a fabricator or body guy, then your just makin wages. Throw it on E-bay with a hi reserve, if someone really wants it they will try to find out what its gonna take. You'll find that one guy in North Dakota, who drove one to high school and tore off his first piece in one just like it and has to have it!
he is proably right on shipping but sight unseen other then pics i value my rep on ebay to much and am careful on what i sell and buy there just cuase i dont want a negitive and people whine to much. i am sure you can sell it locally on trader or recycler proably get 2 to 2.5k ther are a lot of big fender trucks avail still and is still less then demand recycler is free and goes sandigo to vegas at least. i belive i saw you live in reno. get it rolling on trailer. if there is a car corral at hot august night bring it there. i like those trucks wife dont care for them. but if i had room and could see the benifit of spending the money. that would be a truck id have. but since hemmings are stating im finding gold mines ill keep investing in chevelle and elcaminos. that is if i get rid of some to make some room.

thom
07-12-2005, 10:23 PM
Dam those pics bring back some memories.. a good friend in highschool had a 53. put a LTD suspension under it with a built 327 and an old powerglide tranny.. dam that thing was cool

fourspeednup
07-12-2005, 10:46 PM
Get that sucker running and wash off the dirt. Clean up the interior a little and throw it into the classic car/truck trader in your area. If it were me I'd put down 4000 OBO and let it go to the first person with $2500/3000 cash. Anyone looking in that price range is either a high school kid or someone looking to restore. Your truck looks like it would make a nice project and seems fairly straight from the pics posted good luck. :idea:

spectratoad
07-13-2005, 05:58 AM
Yeah it has a straight body. It actually wouldn't take too much to get it rolling but I just don't have the time and I hate seeing it sitting out there. Would rather sell it to someone who will get it going. :D