PDA

View Full Version : Berkeley Reverse Bucket

Punisher
07-12-2005, 12:42 PM
Hi all,
My brother and I were checking out his Berkeley jet out yesterday and we noticed some "side-to-side" movement in the reverse bucket.It has about a 1/4" play in it. Are the buckets supposed to be tight? Maybe some busings wore out? :idea:

Oldsquirt
07-12-2005, 12:48 PM
That sounds excessive. The reverse gate on my 30-year old nozzle has less than 1/16" of side play. I bet someone may have tried to disassemble it at some time and spread it open(not the way to do it). It may not make any difference to its operation, though.

Punisher
07-12-2005, 01:03 PM
Hey Squirt, are there any teflon bushings that go in-between the reverse bucket and the pump housing? I looked at ours and they look like the width of a paper! :supp:

Oldsquirt
07-12-2005, 01:08 PM
What you are seeing is the shoulder of the bushing that the pin pivots in. That bushing is inside the nozzle. The pin is fixed to the gate with a bolt.

Punisher
07-12-2005, 01:20 PM
What you are seeing is the shoulder of the bushing that the pin pivots in. That bushing is inside the nozzle. The pin is fixed to the gate with a bolt.
Yeah, the bushing rides on the pin and looks to keep the gate from rubing on the nozzle. How thick should the shoulders of the bushings be? It looks like I may have to get new ones...

Oldsquirt
07-12-2005, 01:45 PM
They are very thin. Between .030" and .040"
There may be something else worn. If you can get a fairly accurate measurement of the inside and outside width of the gate "ears", and outside width of the nozzle, I can compare them to the spare in my garage.

Punisher
07-13-2005, 08:03 AM
They are very thin. Between .030" and .040"
There may be something else worn. If you can get a fairly accurate measurement of the inside and outside width of the gate "ears", and outside width of the nozzle, I can compare them to the spare in my garage.
Cool! I'll try to post the measurements by tonite! Thanks Squirt

Oldsquirt
07-13-2005, 05:24 PM
Here are the numbers I came up with.
Nozzle width...........................5.125"
Inside width of gate.................5.195"
Flange thickness of new bushing.. .035"
With 2 new bushings installed there is ZERO side play. When I checked it yesterday and it had play......one of the bushings was missing. Probably robbed it for another nozzle at some point.