PDA

View Full Version : weiand big blowers bye bye

cyclone
07-12-2005, 09:15 PM
so i'm on the phone with Holley today and come to find out that they've discontinued the 10, 12 and 14-71 Weiand blowers. nothing bigger than the 8-71 available from now on. guess they werent selling too many of them cheap blower packages.

SPECTRABRENT
07-12-2005, 10:16 PM
I did not even know that Weiand/Holley made a 10,12 or 1471 blower. If I were going to buy a bigger blower setup, I would buy from someone like TBS, BDS or Littlefield.
Are you going to a bigger setup?
Brent

MAXIMUS
07-13-2005, 06:47 AM
Must not be a big demand for toy blowers... :coffeycup :notam:

Liberator TJ1984
07-13-2005, 08:02 AM
so i'm on the phone with Holley today and come to find out that they've discontinued the 10, 12 and 14-71 Weiand blowers. nothing bigger than the 8-71 available from now on. guess they werent selling too many of them cheap blower packages.
next time you talk to them , I got an 8 that I will trade for a 12 or 14 since they're just junk and collecting dust :rolleyes: :wink:

lucky
07-13-2005, 08:16 AM
Sounds Like A Buyers Market Lol

revndave
07-13-2005, 12:49 PM
There was 2 14-71 Weiand blowers for sale on Ebay last week.They look funny.Most 14s are longer on rear.These were longer on the front.

cyclone
07-13-2005, 04:54 PM
Must not be a big demand for toy blowers... :coffeycup :notam:
gee my "toy"-blown motor has no problem making 1000 hp. gosh and that's with an 8-71 and only 6psi. I wonder what would happen if i had a non "toy" blower? :rolleyes:

cyclone
07-13-2005, 04:55 PM
next time you talk to them , I got an 8 that I will trade for a 12 or 14 since they're just junk and collecting dust :rolleyes: :wink:
not a chance. they stopped building the bigger ones and only have the 8-71's in stock now. you'll have to keep your junk. lol

cyclone
07-13-2005, 04:56 PM
I did not even know that Weiand/Holley made a 10,12 or 1471 blower. If I were going to buy a bigger blower setup, I would buy from someone like TBS, BDS or Littlefield.
Are you going to a bigger setup?
Brent
i'd like a 10 or 12 that i could drive slower and reduce the intake temp a bit. Ideally, i'd like to ditch the innercooler and trade it and the 8-71 for a bigger blower.

revndave
07-13-2005, 05:02 PM
i'd like a 10 or 12 that i could drive slower and reduce the intake temp a bit. Ideally, i'd like to ditch the innercooler and trade it and the 8-71 for a bigger blower.
Talk to Rick at Mooneyham.He is a wheeler/dealer.He gave me 800.00 credit for my beat up 8-71 and got into a brand new 12-71 for 1100.00 and my old blower.(909)985-4425 Mooneyham

revndave
07-13-2005, 05:03 PM
Still need to run innercooler to clear disrtibutor.

Cs19
07-13-2005, 06:17 PM
Ideally, i'd like to ditch the innercooler and trade it and the 8-71 for a bigger blower.
Why Michael Garrett? Wouldnt that be a bad thing on hot days at the river?

DeputyDawg
07-13-2005, 06:24 PM
Cyclone, from the pictures I have seen of your boat I'm thinking a big PSI screw blower would look good on that baby! Oh ya, you would of course have to have a carbon fiber injector hat and injectors to go with it.

SPECTRABRENT
07-13-2005, 06:46 PM
I need an intercooler for my 10-71, so if/when you get around to selling it let me know.
Good Luck,
Brent

cyclone
07-13-2005, 06:53 PM
Why Michael Garrett? Wouldnt that be a bad thing on hot days at the river?
I'm resisting the urge to blurt out the new middle name we gave you at the bluewater...... :D

cyclone
07-13-2005, 06:54 PM
I need an intercooler for my 10-71, so if/when you get around to selling it let me know.
Good Luck,
Brent
i'll shoot you a pm if i do sell it. thanks.

steelcomp
07-13-2005, 07:05 PM
Switch to alky...you have a built in innercooler :D

cyclone
07-13-2005, 07:52 PM
that'd be great but i'm already burning 32 gallons of c-12 per day at the river. i drive the boat too often and too far to run alcohol. I couldnt put a fuel cell big enough in the boat to get me to the sand bar and back. lol

steelcomp
07-13-2005, 09:01 PM
I wish I had time and lived close enough to the river to put that kind of hours on my boat!!! :frown:

cyclone
07-13-2005, 10:27 PM
I went through a 55-gallon drum by saturday night last holiday weekend. spent the rest of the weekend mixing 100 octane stuff from the pump with 91 and keeping my fingers crossed. :rollside:

MAXIMUS
07-14-2005, 06:03 AM
gee my "toy"-blown motor has no problem making 1000 hp. gosh and that's with an 8-71 and only 6psi. I wonder what would happen if i had a non "toy" blower? :rolleyes:
:jawdrop: :jawdrop: :jawdrop: :2purples: :2purples: :2purples: Probably make 2000 hp!!!! :idea: :messedup: LoL relax turbo no need to get panties in a wad! I think the Weiand blower stuff is top notch, in fact I am suprised you don't see more of them on the 1000+ hp stuff! :)

cyclone
07-14-2005, 02:18 PM
my boxers are just fine thanks.

djdtpr
07-14-2005, 04:59 PM
Hmmm this sounds so fimiliar like i was talking to someone about this the other day. :idea:
Oh ya now i know where it was i was telling Tom that i was gonna step up to a 10 just last sunday.I guess great mind think alike huh.

revndave
07-14-2005, 07:25 PM
Hmmm this sounds so fimiliar like i was talking to someone about this the other day. :idea:
Oh ya now i know where it was i was telling Tom that i was gonna step up to a 10 just last sunday.I guess great mind think alike huh.
Great minds buy 12s or 14s :D

Cs19
07-14-2005, 09:39 PM
Ditch the intercooler and you'll be sounding like your buddy.
"dude, i cant make it to the cove, its melting down"

Cs19
07-14-2005, 09:43 PM
Needles and a few others were over 120 degrees today, Running from Big river to shell beach and back might be interesting on day like that with no intercooler.
dont listen to the lumberjacks cyclone, your dialed.

cyclone
07-14-2005, 10:06 PM
120? Holy Crap That's Hot!

Bense468
07-15-2005, 08:01 AM
Yeah cause before the days of innercoolers nobody could do it :D
Carbs, Timing, Duration of cam, and a bigger blower your all set.

Cs19
07-15-2005, 08:10 AM
When intercoolers are so available,why not have one? Or why s.can the one you already have?

DeputyDawg
07-15-2005, 02:05 PM
I have to agree with cs19 on this one. Besides, what would you possibly gain by NOT running a cooler? I see purpose built dragboats that run coolers and never go to the lake or river. If they make a noticeable difference on a 1/4 mile pass they certainly have to make a BIG difference on long runs at the river in 100+ degree heat.

revndave
07-15-2005, 02:20 PM
I run a cooler on my lake boat.But it runs for long distances.Drag boats dont need a cooler for 1/4mile passes.

djdtpr
07-15-2005, 02:49 PM
Ditch the intercooler and you'll be sounding like your buddy.
"dude, i cant make it to the cove, its melting down"
Hey what the heck are you doing in the blower dept?Hanging out here wont make you cool like us so dont think it will!go find a thread that talks about pump gas motors and duel carbs and guys that dream about puting nos an there stuff.If he went bigger than he wont have to spin the blowere as hard there for not creating heat and that means if he wanted to he could get away with not running the intercooler.I personaly would keep it and run it even on a bigger setup cause first and formost its a river boat,and you drive it a bunch and hard.

cyclone
07-15-2005, 04:34 PM
i was thinking that if I had a 14-71 i could possibly underdrive it and still make the same amount of boost. Not much need for an innercooler then. Chris is right though. After running down the river for 10 minutes straight it wont matter how big the blower is-it'll still get hot and inneffective. I was thinking of ditching the innercooler so that i could fit the motor under an ez up at the campground or track. As it sits now i have to have someone lift the canopy up just to back the trailer beneath it and that's with my low profile scoop. Imagine how giant the motor would be if i had a fiberglass scoop on it. Its a big ass motor!

flat broke
07-15-2005, 05:36 PM
i was thinking that if I had a 14-71 i could possibly underdrive it and still make the same amount of boost. Not much need for an innercooler then. Chris is right though. After running down the river for 10 minutes straight it wont matter how big the blower is-it'll still get hot and inneffective. I was thinking of ditching the innercooler so that i could fit the motor under an ez up at the campground or track. As it sits now i have to have someone lift the canopy up just to back the trailer beneath it and that's with my low profile scoop. Imagine how giant the motor would be if i had a fiberglass scoop on it. Its a big ass motor!
Two ways to skin the cat with regards to the height deal cheif. Dumping the carbs for a hat would lower you about the same as loosin your chiller. I know this guy with a 21 that used to run injection, maybe he could set you up with a surge tank etc. ;) Since you don't have to sweat back seat clearance, it should be no problem getting the fuel pump in there. Besides, blowers just look more badass with injection.
In all seriousness, keep the Chiller. It's paid for, and regardless of how much heat you're seeing from the blower, it will also help combat higher ambient air temps as noted by others above. Crap, if your really only worried about the height of things, get some coffee cans with cement in them for the feet of the ezup. Or for that f'in matter, you can get a taller ez up :D
Keep the Chiller!
Chris

revndave
07-15-2005, 05:40 PM
Two ways to skin the cat with regards to the height deal cheif. Dumping the carbs for a hat would lower you about the same as loosin your chiller. I know this guy with a 21 that used to run injection, maybe he could set you up with a surge tank etc. ;) Since you don't have to sweat back seat clearance, it should be no problem getting the fuel pump in there. Besides, blowers just look more badass with injection.
In all seriousness, keep the Chiller. It's paid for, and regardless of how much heat you're seeing from the blower, it will also help combat higher ambient air temps as noted by others above. Crap, if your really only worried about the height of things, get some coffee cans with cement in them for the feet of the ezup. Or for that f'in matter, you can get a taller ez up :D
Keep the Chiller!
Chris
What guy is this. :cool: I'm not getting rid of surge tank.I may have injection again.Depends on how carbs work.

cyclone
07-15-2005, 06:29 PM
no way would i ditch my super reliable carbs for a hat. i push the button and the boat starts every time. meanwhile all my friends with hats cross their fingers that their boats will start. just ask willis what happend the last time we were both on the rope and he couldnt get his started.

blown23vee
07-15-2005, 08:46 PM
Hey Cyclone, check your PM!

Cs19
07-15-2005, 11:22 PM
go find a thread that talks about pump gas motors and duel carbs and guys that dream about puting nos an there stuff.
If he went bigger than he wont have to spin the blowere as hard there for not creating heat and that means if he wanted to he could get away with not running the intercooler.I personaly would keep it and run it even on a bigger setup cause first and formost its a river boat,and you drive it a bunch and hard.
dreaming about nos huh? Im not on nos just yet, but im not dreaming either.
I disagree with some of the blower/intercooler stuff, but thats ok.
You looking into a intercooler at all DJD?

djdtpr
07-16-2005, 03:54 AM
CS tha intercooler is in the works for this winter.I like driving the new boat so much i need one now.

MAXIMUS
07-16-2005, 06:07 AM
no way would i ditch my super reliable carbs for a hat. i push the button and the boat starts every time. meanwhile all my friends with hats cross their fingers that their boats will start. just ask willis what happend the last time we were both on the rope and he couldnt get his started.
I am running a super heavy 1471 that once was 28% under driven with my intercooler & hat. It made 6psi of boost at 6100. Now I am 13% under for a little more boost. It don't matter how big or how under driven those pigs are they still make heat! :( Now as far as the hat vs carbs... Well lets just say don't run the hat, you would hate it! :rolleyes:

revndave
07-16-2005, 06:11 AM
I am running a super heavy 1471 that once was 28% under driven with my intercooler & hat. It made 6psi of boost at 6100. Now I am 13% under for a little more boost. It don't matter how big or how under driven those pigs are they still make heat! :( Now as far as the hat vs carbs... Well lets just say don't run the hat, you would hate it! :rolleyes:
I liked my hat also.It started fine.I wish I didn't sell it now.Guys that can't start them don't know how.How is your boat Ben?

Cs19
07-16-2005, 07:14 AM
maxi, when you gonna come out and show revndave how a 21 is supposed to run? :eek:
j/k dave. :cool:

revndave
07-16-2005, 07:25 AM
maxi, when you gonna come out and show revndave how a 21 is supposed to run? :eek:
j/k dave. :cool:
Hater :D

cyclone
07-16-2005, 08:49 AM
The hat has never been a consideration. I leave them on the shelf for boating gurus like yourself to buy. :rolleyes:

flat broke
07-16-2005, 11:15 AM
The hat has never been a consideration. I leave them on the shelf for boating gurus like yourself to buy. :rolleyes:
Mike, many ways to go with the hat. Could even go EFI. There was a guy with a Big ford in a DCB or Eliminator 25' cat that ran one, and it started up and idled just fine. And if I remember correctly, that deal was movin out pretty good. I think the guy's name was SVO540 or somethin like that. Not tryin to push you or anything, I just thought that if height was your consideration, the chiller stayin should be 1st and foremost, and blown/injected deals just look badazz ;)
Chris

Bense468
07-16-2005, 01:09 PM
When intercoolers are so available,why not have one? Or why s.can the one you already have?
I would run it too if I had one, I wouldn't sell it...If you don't have one doesn't mean you are on meltdown thats all I was pointing out.

revndave
07-16-2005, 03:39 PM
Dont sell it.

MAXIMUS
07-16-2005, 03:43 PM
How is your boat Ben?
Boat is good. Just collecting dust in storage. I think my wife & I are going to get away with out the kids the first weekend in august & take it out for a 3 dayer! I have only had it out once this year! :(
C.S. from what I was told that thing should haul the mail! No need to get my ass handed to me on my 2nd trip of the year! ;)
Cyclone I appreciate the compliment! Yes a hat for you would belong on the shelf! :notam: I like your scoop though! :messedup: :D

revndave
07-16-2005, 03:50 PM
My first river trip will be Labor Day at Blythe.N/A guy trying to stirr the pot Ben. :D

MAXIMUS
07-16-2005, 04:04 PM
I liked my hat also.It started fine.I wish I didn't sell it now.
Why did you get rid of the injection Dave? Did you ever put it on alky? What speed have you seen out of it to date?

revndave
07-16-2005, 04:10 PM
Why did you get rid of the injection Dave? Did you ever put it on alky? What speed have you seen out of it to date?
Sold injection on a whime.Wish I didnt sell it.No alky.This past spring I lifted at 112.Had motor problems since then.New motor should be done in a couple weeks.

MAXIMUS
07-16-2005, 04:26 PM
112 IS COOKIN!!! Not bad for a shiat box jet boat... ;) Just think you could double your power stick it in a 21' v-drive & go 105! lol :D

Huffer
07-17-2005, 05:33 AM
NOT ALWAYS THE BEST POLICY?

DEL51
07-19-2005, 10:26 PM
Cyclone, you opened a can of worms.Which is good.I did did not take inlet water and outlet temps on the dyno forthe inter cooler. In June,When the boat was in the driveway, with garden hose inlet, I adjusted the bypass to feed the superchiller with water. I have a ratchet and no load on the engine. I was impressed at how fast my 1471 littlefield gas blower heated up.Using the palm of my hand it was quite obvious.I really believe in the super chiller.I run 35psi of water pressure through it at 11lbs boost.No strainer"yet" and feed it from the transom side bypass coming from the main water inlet, and it exits near the driver side seat. I can put my hand out to monitor coolant flow,Motor and chiller. I was wondering if you are considering a new water injection sytem, it was in the last month issue of pop hr mag.Thanks,DEL

cyclone
07-20-2005, 09:13 PM
Cyclone, you opened a can of worms.Which is good.I did did not take inlet water and outlet temps on the dyno forthe inter cooler. In June,When the boat was in the driveway, with garden hose inlet, I adjusted the bypass to feed the superchiller with water. I have a ratchet and no load on the engine. I was impressed at how fast my 1471 littlefield gas blower heated up.Using the palm of my hand it was quite obvious.I really believe in the super chiller.I run 35psi of water pressure through it at 11lbs boost.No strainer"yet" and feed it from the transom side bypass coming from the main water inlet, and it exits near the driver side seat. I can put my hand out to monitor coolant flow,Motor and chiller. I was wondering if you are considering a new water injection sytem, it was in the last month issue of pop hr mag.Thanks,DEL
The chiller definately works no doubt about that. I'll probably keep it and just get a bigger EZ up. are you underdriving or overdriving your 14-71 and on what size motor is it?