PDA

View Full Version : Anyone try the AIRCHAIR?????

Rod-64
07-13-2005, 02:02 AM
www.airchair.com
Are they hard to use the first time out???
Hey Raff...........should I rent one next week for the BML trip?? With the Grey Goose, the sharp hydro foil and your new speedy Ultra, well, think of the possibilities. :D :D :D

Rod-64
07-13-2005, 02:04 AM
Sounds dangerous AND complicated. :D
Putting on your Air Chair
You may also view directions on the instructional video that came with your Air Chair. Use a properly fitted Coast Guard Approved Life Jacket. A proper handle and Non-Stretch ski rope.
Part of the safety of this sport is that being secured to your Air Chair reduces injuries caused by free flying equipment after a fall. All riders must use heel straps and safety belt. Failure to use heel straps can result in riders feet coming out, the ski may pivot around at the seat, and the foil may swing around and hit your body or head. Failure to use safety belt can also cause rider to accidentally become separated from the unit.
The first step after your Air Chair in the water is to swim towards it, upon approach to the Air Chair be careful not to kick the foil, do not dive in the water towards the Air Chair. Next step is to swim your legs through the seat belt. Do not secure the belt yet. Slip one foot under the heel strap and binding, this will help to give you leverage to push against the ski while you are pulling on the heel strap for your other foot. Put your free foot between the binding and the heel strap, reach down and pull the back of the heel strap while sliding your foot the rest of the way in the binding. Repeat for other foot. If you wear gloves it is easier to feel for the heel strap, binding, seat belt without gloves. You may want to simply tuck them into your jacket until you are secured in the Air Chair.
Now you want to be sure you are properly seated on the seat before you secure your belt. Make sure your bottom is not off the back of the seat. Sit even or just a bit forward from the back of the seat pad. Tighten the belt securely, a loose fitting belt may allow you to slide forward off the seat.
If you allow someone else to ride your Air Chair, please remind them of the safety of using the heel straps and seat belt. At first it may feel uncomfortable but it is a necessity and must be used properly. You should always get in the water with new riders and check to make sure they are properly attached and secure.
Practicing quick removal of your Air Chair is also a good idea just in case you need to get out in a hurry. This may help you to avoid oncoming traffic after a fall, or drifting towards a fixed object such as a dock, getting stuck in sand or objects under water. Be aware that these type of situations can and sometimes do occur. Remain calm and release yourself. In the rare event you do get the foil stuck in shallow water and boat driver may not see you, driver needs to stop propeller and assist in any manner possible. Remain calm and be prepared for the unexpected.
Now you are ready to start your ride. Place the open section of the Deep-V Handle around the tip of the Air Chair. This is designed to help guide the ski straight. When you are ready signal the boat driver. It should be a slow start like you would for a wakeboard rider or a small child on training skis.
Lean slightly forward while keeping the handle down and your elbows at your thighs. This is the easiest way to deep water start. However it may put some stress on your lower back in the beginning. An alternate method is to lean back on the start while pushing with your feet, and your arms are kept straight. If the ski tip goes under the water this is a failed start attempt caused from leaning too far forward.
As the ski starts to plain you now need to angle the foil down by leaning forward, breaking at the waist, and raising your hands. Do not arch your back over or drop your shoulders, this is an improper riding position. If your butt is off the back of the seat, this will not work. You would then be out of alignment with the foil. If the ski rises up too high when you are first learning, slowly lean forward, this will cause the ski deck to come to the water surface again. The first thing you want to learn is foil control. Know where you are riding on the foil. The higher up the foil is the harder it is for new riders to control Keeping the foil in the water and the ski deck inches off the water is easier for new riders to control, until they learn foil elevation. At first do not try to steer the Air Chair, this will come in time. If you start to veer off to the left or the right, simply lean forward, hands up and look at the horizon in front of the boat. This will bring you right back behind the boat. Do not look down at the water, it will cause you to tip over. Have you ever tried to ride a bike looking at the ground, it's the same concept.
Learning to steer is done by aiming your knees in the direction you would like to go and looking in the same direction. It is normal mistake to try to lean away from trouble, this does not work with a hydrofoil. Small movements effect the hydrofoils performance. It can react as quickly as your movements. Use small movements for best control. Practice riding, foil control, and steering until you are relaxed and comfortable with your Air Chair. A controlled rider will advance faster and become more polished than a rider rushing to get to the next level. It will come and it will be worth the "learning" time you put into it.
Once you have mastered how to begin riding, you are now ready to increase the boat speed a bit more and start sitting up more straight. Only increase the boat speed to what is comfortable for you. This is where you learn to start controlling the foil. You are now taking it from a taxi position to a foiling position. From neutral to lifting. If you loose control while you start to slowly sit up, lean forward to the position you were at before. When you sit up high or lower the handle the foil creates lift. Movements with the foil will start to happen faster now, be ready to lean forward and keep your hands about at chest height. If you raise high on the foil, do not panic. There are a couple things you can do.
1) When we say high on the foil, this means where the blades are still in the water, but the majority of the t-bar is out of the water while you are riding. If you go very high on the foil you will start to hear a gurgle, within seconds the blades will loose all lift and the foil will automatically drop back down. Once the foil is down, simply lean forward and raise your hands, this will prevent it from coming back up high again. This is a good way to start to practice landing control to prepare yourself for jumps.
2) When you are this high on the foil, do not raise your hands up high as this is the point of pull and you will be pulled over forward from the tow angle of the boat. Do not go fast until you are able to control these type of situations. You can get hurt going at higher speeds if you are pulled over forward. To avoid going this high as the foil is climbing, slightly lean forward and this will bring the foil back down and you should be able to continue to ride using proper foil control

NashvilleBound
07-13-2005, 03:18 AM
My good friend has one and he loves it. He says its the easiest thing ever to use. Beginners only get towed something like 5mph.... I reccommend trying it...I will as soon as I meet up wiht him this summer.

JetBoatRich
07-13-2005, 03:27 AM
Tried one a couple years ago :cool: was fun and a challenge to balance out of the water :cool:

rivergoer
07-13-2005, 05:10 AM
yeah its hard at first kind of but if you practice you will be riding in about a weekend maybe sooner, it took me three trys and i was riding it short didtances. but yeah have fun with it.

Garrddogg
07-13-2005, 06:06 AM
I tried it but did not have much luck with it!! looks like fun though :D

HOSS
07-13-2005, 06:11 AM
I always wanted to try one. Cool.

riverbound
07-13-2005, 06:34 AM
There is a definite learning curve. I was up in about 3 trys. The key is keep it slow. once you learn how to ride it you will do nothing else. mainly because water conditions dont affect the ride so you dont have to wait for smooth water. its also very low impact so you can ride all day.
Good luck with it.

2Driver
07-13-2005, 07:07 AM
Bought one from John Wilburn (Rider for Skyski). Definitely a learning curve. As a surfer, skier and jet skier i thought I'd get right up but it took a bit. Once up it is the coolest feeling.
There are a few pointers you really need. Find some instructions or pointers and get prepared for a few face plants... it's great, just don't let the bottom fin find a shallow spot/rock ...then your dead. Check out sky ski
Try renting one first http://www.skyski.com/