PDA

View Full Version : Lake Mead Crusty Prop Wtf?!

desertbird
07-13-2005, 12:24 PM
Just got back from a FANTASTIC TRIP to the Lake. However, when we pulled the boat out, the drive shower, hoses, prop and pipes looked like the shower door of a bachelor pad!!! :yuk:
1/2 an hour and 1/2 a bottle of CLR to get that stuff off. :hammer2:
Any secrets for my next trip? I don't think it was because of mooring, I think it's dried crud from hot drive shower top and cavitating the prop a few times. :idea:

Quality Time
07-13-2005, 12:29 PM
Suggest using Limeaway in the future for clean-up. Quicker than CLR.
Not sure if this is the cure, but most boats come with zincs. For freshwater use, you should be using magnesiums instead. Other than that, I know of nothing to prevent it. BTW, cavitating the prop etc. did not cause this, it's the hard water.

dicudmore
07-13-2005, 01:28 PM
Just got back from a FANTASTIC TRIP to the Lake. However, when we pulled the boat out, the drive shower, hoses, prop and pipes looked like the shower door of a bachelor pad!!! :yuk:
1/2 an hour and 1/2 a bottle of CLR to get that stuff off. :hammer2:
Any secrets for my next trip? I don't think it was because of mooring, I think it's dried crud from hot drive shower top and cavitating the prop a few times. :idea:
it is definitely from the water...
I had mine in the water for a week at Mead last year and it changed the color of all those parts you named too.
Mandelon's prop cleaned right up with a run in Bass Lake's water...
Myself, I found as you did that lots of scrubbing would help, nothing...I repeat NOTHING cleaned it up as good as a dip in the ocean though :D (little tip I picked up from Steamin' Rice)