PDA

View Full Version : Loader Selection, optimum design??

GUGS102
07-13-2005, 04:18 PM
I am in the process of putting together my boat. 19 foot hallett sprint, 489 solid roller, air gap, electronic ign, 3 1/2 inch log exhaust - approx 550ish Hp. JG pump, diverter, ride plate and droop.
My question is that this new combo will be pushing substansially more ponies than the stock 454. With it I was running 60mph at 4600 RPM. That motor was the original never rebuilt since '78. What different types are the most effective. This boat is a lake boat so impeller protection is still important, what have any of you liked or disliked about different loaders currently on the market??
Thanks,
Gugs

berk
07-13-2005, 05:28 PM
the thing i like about my loader is it isnt a loader, and it is a rock grate. sticks, rocks and the venerable safeway bag are not allowed!

UBFJ #454
07-13-2005, 06:25 PM
gugs -
Sent you a PM ...

GUGS102
07-13-2005, 06:35 PM
Bear - It says I don't have access to PMs(not the woman's stuff, pleanty of that around here :2purples: ) So you can shoot me an email aguglielmino@yahoo.com or call 520-404-6405
Thanks,
Gugs

SmokinLowriderSS
07-13-2005, 06:47 PM
I'm running my first real Loader. Pro-Loader from DuaneHTP. Previously I was running a modified rock grate with angle iron welded to it (top of the line in '79).
I lost some RPM as well as picked up some from the engine upgrade that accompanied it. Net loss 150 RPM.
Don't have Speed reads yet as I am working carb test issues still. It is loading the pump better as I get a solid 4700 RPM rev that does not change as I accelerate.

Aluminum Squirt
07-14-2005, 08:25 AM
I'm with Berk on the rock grate. This is probably going to sound very ignorant, but I've seen some hellaciously fast boats running nothing but a rock grate (maybe a little bit of spoon fabbed in in front of the grate), so I don't really believe in loaders. No rock grate=bad news on some of the rivers we run. Then again we don't do any drag racing on the rivers, we always get on plane before we do any business. I'm guessing there are plenty of lake/fiberglass guys that will disagree and can back up their claims with numbers-Aluminum Squirt

SmokinLowriderSS
07-14-2005, 03:08 PM
Anyone want a rock-grate loader? I have 1 hangin' in the detatched garage/boat shed that I am thinking of painting and turning into a piece of abstract art. :D
I do think loaders work if you need 1. My Berk "F" is a case in need I believe as steep as the suction piece ramps up. I did notice an improvement from my grate-mod to my Pro-loader. before I would hammer hard at idle, rev to about 5K, maybe 5100, then pull down to 4850 as she accelerated. Now, she revs to 4700 and stays there rock solid. I think she launches harder too but that is a seat-feel item.
I boat in lakes and never get really close to bottom if I can avoid it. If I ran rivers with shalower spots on ocasion, I would rethink my inlet choices and maybe stay with a grate-loader.