PDA

View Full Version : Donzi Boats?

Bryan Rose
07-13-2005, 05:01 PM
Any one have anything good or bad to say about them I know this belongs in hot boats section but I thought it would be a good place for exposure. The model I am looking at is a 27 ZX twin step hull with a hp 500 carb motor in it. The year is a 97. it is the same hull they use as a factory 1 race boat, and seems to be good for up to about 80 MPH . The curent set up on it he is saying nets 68 MPH and I am fine with that... I currently have a fast jet and need something for the Familly in the making. when I smoke this motor I will shove my 632 in there.So any suggestions for me here , give me some feedback.
http://www2.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/766DSC00684.JPG
Bryan

Jbb
07-13-2005, 05:09 PM
Is that teal.......?....... :wink:

Bryan Rose
07-13-2005, 05:21 PM
Is that teal.......?....... :wink:
Unfortunatlely.....Nothing a little awl-grip cant fix.....

Jbb
07-13-2005, 05:52 PM
Unfortunatlely.....Nothing a little awl-grip cant fix.....
Negative.....Teal is making a comeback...Long live Miami Vice....Crockett...Tubbs ...and Elvis.... :smile:

Bryan Rose
07-13-2005, 06:22 PM
Negative.....Teal is making a comeback...Long live Miami Vice....Crockett...Tubbs ...and Elvis.... :smile:
JBB Got any more info other than being an exterior decorator LOL.
I thik it is a lot of boat for the money..... guy is asking $34,000 and I think it could be bought for $30,000. I feel max size in this type boat before going to twins. Not much to choose from on the east coast with out spending a fortune....
Come on guys give me some feedback. I guess because it is not a west coast custom no one has any opinions.
Bryan

Adolph
07-13-2005, 06:37 PM
Donzi makes a good solid boat, usually over priced in my opinion. This seems like a decent deal.... depending on hours and condition of the boat.
Does it include a trailer?

hotlavey
07-13-2005, 06:43 PM
Donzi makes a good solid boat, usually over priced in my opinion. This seems like a decent deal.... depending on hours and condition of the boat.
Does it include a trailer?
OffshoreOnly has a current post regarding a Donzi that ended up on the beach or on a pier after making a sharp left turn, throwing everyone out(4 or 5 people), driver did not have the kill teather attached, so the boat continued to hit a few other boats and docks. The deck separated from the hull. Can't remember all the details but some of the posters were ragging on the quality of Donzi's.

ECeptor
07-13-2005, 06:53 PM
From NADA.com
1997 DONZI MARINE INC
DONZI MARINE INC
Stern Drive Power Boat
27 ZX
Low Retail Average Retail
$24,000 $28,900
Reported Engine Range: 426 - 470 HP (8.1L )
Total adjustment for your engine(s) - Add: $2,065
TOTAL PRICE $26,065 $30,965
Use this info to help negotiate a lower price. Also, go to boattrader.com and search in your price range for boat in your area. You might find a better deal or at least might find something you can leverage when negotiating.
At 6,000lbs, it seems a bit heavy for a single engine 27'er. But the twin steps are damn nice (and rare) for a boat in the price range. Overall, hard to say. I really don't like teal so I would be looking elsewhere for something in red!

Jbb
07-13-2005, 07:33 PM
Ok.....I have been to alot of East Coast Poker runs and there are a few Donzi's in all of them....they seem to be happy with them....Not the fastest in the bunch....and kind of heavy ...i think......but I have never heard any owners complaining.....In my opinion,however that is a big boat to have a single engine in....
You could nose around in here and find out some info too....Donzi (http://www.donzi.net/forums/index.php)

Riverkid
07-13-2005, 07:38 PM
My buddy had a 38ZX with 500's, gen, cabin air, fully loaded up. First run to catalina the TV and microwave fell out. Three months into it the cabin air unit delam'd off the bottom of the hull and started rolling around inside the cabin, under the floor. It went through a grand total of 5 drives (IMO the X dim was way too high) before it sank tied to the dock in NB overnight (leak developed between the stand off box and the gimbal housing). Both insurance and Donzi then proceeded to sue each and every shop that ever worked on it, and the boat owner got ZERO from anyone, but $30K in legal $$$. And this was with that fine Donzi extended warranty mind you.
Think hard about that brand.

Big Warlock
07-13-2005, 08:32 PM
It's a good brand. They make a quality boat. With the way some people rave about certain boats around here, it's in the top ten!
It's heavy because it's built right!! I also have a friend with a 38 ZX and has no complaints!
Obviously you need to do your due diligence.
Enjoy!
Rob

spectras only
07-13-2005, 08:53 PM
I like Donzis [ friend has a 33 Z ] but other than the classic series ,they seem to loose resale value .The one above is a 28ZX [ actual length 27'7" w/8.6 beam ], deadrise is 22 and weighs 5200 lbs.94 gal tank , 4.9 headroom
They're rated for max 600 HP by Donzi marine .

Dusty Times
07-13-2005, 10:58 PM
It's a good brand. They make a quality boat. With the way some people rave about certain boats around here, it's in the top ten!
It's heavy because it's built right!! I also have a friend with a 38 ZX and has no complaints!
Obviously you need to do your due diligence.
Enjoy!
Rob
YOU HAVE FRIENDS?????????lol :D How are you Rob?
I really like my Donzi. Wide beam Lots of room. Actually has great speed for a heavy boat. Just remember it is a stepped boat.
If a boat comes apart that much something is wrong (or someone is hammering it...some people could brake an anvile if it had a stearing wheel)

Bryan Rose
07-14-2005, 04:12 AM
Thanks for the info guys... I will keep you posted.
Bryan

Nate56
07-14-2005, 04:29 AM
There are some Donzi's on Travis that hold their own.. I know for a fact they are a little heavier than other boats but I have seen a couple in the mid 80's mph up here..Look like a solid boat but maybe that's why they are that little more heavier.. :rollside:

CNeidhart
07-14-2005, 06:22 AM
BR - I'm a Donzi ZX Owner. I have a 22ZX (97 nonstep). It's a good solid boat. She rode perfect at stock engine and speed setup. I've done some engine modifications and have picked up the speed from stock 53 mph to 74 mph. She is safe at 65 mph.
It rides way different from a jet or standard lake boat (shallow vee). It does not get up on top of the chop as a modified vee. It has a lot of rock and roll (side to side) to it at high speed, it can be scarey. My girl friend and a couple friends don't like that feeling, or they want to live forever.
Another negitive is the side slapping from cross waves. A standard boat wake will effect her way more then every other boat I've been in. She's good at head on or following seas, but the beam wave will make you change course.
Take her for a test ride during rough conditions, not during a weekday. You will be surpised on how rough it is with a beam wave.

Bryan Rose
07-14-2005, 06:55 AM
BR - I'm a Donzi ZX Owner. I have a 22ZX (97 nonstep). It's a good solid boat. She rode perfect at stock engine and speed setup. I've done some engine modifications and have picked up the speed from stock 53 mph to 74 mph. She is safe at 65 mph.
It rides way different from a jet or standard lake boat (shallow vee). It does not get up on top of the chop as a modified vee. It has a lot of rock and roll (side to side) to it at high speed, it can be scarey. My girl friend and a couple friends don't like that feeling, or they want to live forever.
Another negitive is the side slapping from cross waves. A standard boat wake will effect her way more then every other boat I've been in. She's good at head on or following seas, but the beam wave will make you change course.
Take her for a test ride during rough conditions, not during a weekday. You will be surpised on how rough it is with a beam wave.
good info.....I hope 5 more feet will help with the beam sea........
BR

spectras only
07-14-2005, 09:39 AM
BR , CN is pretty much summed it up for you about the smaller Donzis. I would prefer a nonstep model . You can find an older model like from 90-92 29'-33' with twins for the same price as a newer stepped 28 .Go for a 33 .I see them from as low as 30K . My friend's 92 Z33 runs like a locomotive in rough water .A bit heavy to push it over 65 with 502's though. :rolleyes: :D
http://www3.telus.net/spectrasonly/donzi1.jpg

Krumbsnatcher
07-14-2005, 09:58 AM
Post this over in www.offshoreonly.com, will get more DONZI advice in that site.
You will probably get different opinions, then you can make your own decision.

a catered life
07-14-2005, 11:01 AM
right not to mention my boat still has the radar wing :yuk: