PDA

View Full Version : experts needed DMV question

Acommanderguy
07-13-2005, 09:08 PM
I use to work at a boat shop. Anyways I want to see if maybe any of you might be able to help a fellow boater out. We took a boat in on trade last yr , but we didn't put it on the books (the trade in it had a blown motor) anyways the manager gave the boat to our old lot boy with the pink slips. I then bought the boat from him for a project for my kid brother. But the kid I bought it from lost the pinks and never registered it in his name. I quit working for the Boat shop, but I am still friends the all the other people there. No one can remember the previous owners name who traded the boat in so we can get him to sign a transfer form for me.Because this boat isn't on the books. How can I go about either A. putting this boat in my name. Or B. finding out the original owners name so the Boat shop can contact him to tell him they lost the pinks and need him to come in and sign transfer forms. I have all vin's and bill of sale from the lot boy I bought it from. any info would be great
Thank you in advance
Anthony

LakesOnly
07-13-2005, 09:14 PM
Have the shop do a lein sale on it.
When the lien papers are submitted to the DMV, the DMV will notify the previous registered owner that the boat will become the property of the shop unless they claim it.
They will not likely claim the boat becuase they unloaded it to the very shop that is doing the lien sale.
Once it passes lien, the shop can give you the paperwork and you may go and register it.
If the previous party comes in to claim the boat, you can tell them that their contact info was lost and this was the only way to contact them for the bill of sale paperwork (but the boat will still need to go through lien...get their contact info anyway).
LO

Acommanderguy
07-13-2005, 09:17 PM
thank you sir.. hey anyone out there that works for DMV? I can give u the vins and u can give me the guys name so I can give it to the shop and they can just call the guy? :hammer2:

Oldsquirt
07-13-2005, 09:30 PM
DMV is not allowed to give out anyone's information. What you might try, however, is telling DMV what you need to do, and why, and they might be able to notify the previous owner for you. Somehow I seem to recall them having a special procedure and forms for this.
As far as a DMV person on the boards, contact "DMVQueen"

Acommanderguy
07-13-2005, 09:42 PM
hey thanks Oldsquirt. I just sent her a PM. Hopefully she can help me out. I can have her contact the dealer directly. Its just sounds better if its the dealer contacting him. and not me or DMV. because of the way the boat was taken in on trade. a lil trick we use to do to keep used boats off the books. ya know?

Oldsquirt
07-13-2005, 09:47 PM
Had another thought(ouch). If the previous owner traded the boat in, that means he bought something else, right? If you know roughly when this took place, just check the books for that time period. Maybe the name will ring a bell with someone. Of course that assumes the sale was "on the books" :)

Acommanderguy
07-13-2005, 09:51 PM
the sale on the new boat was on the books, but after 200 plus sales in a yr its hard to remember a name. Me of course I have a book of everyone I sold a boat to with name and number and what baout I sold them. The guy who did the deal doesnt remember the guys name. this is frustrating..lol :rollside:

Sleek26
07-13-2005, 10:09 PM
Call Broadway Title Company, Inc. 800-464-3222
They can help you get a title quickly and easily and legally. I have used them and everything was as advertised. It cost me about $150.00. If you want to call me I'll be happy to explain how it works. 970-310-9000 Jerry

Acommanderguy
07-13-2005, 10:26 PM
thank you jerry. I shall look into that.

Rooster
07-14-2005, 07:27 AM
Hey just a heads up.... I did that (lein Transfer) for a boat that I bought without the paperwork and the title company regestered the boat as a salvage title... Imposible to get insurance..
Just make sure they do a normal transfer.... Good luck!

Danhercules
07-14-2005, 07:35 AM
What about a simple "statement of facts". Tell them you bought the boat and lost the pink, or that the seller lost the pink. I have done that before with a ATV. I just filled out the statement of facts sheet, and had to sign it.

Aluminum Squirt
07-14-2005, 08:07 AM
If you have any cop friends, have them run the VIN or CF number and get you the info-Aluminum Squirt

Sleek26
07-14-2005, 10:39 AM
Just FYI for anyone interested.
Here's how the Braodway title thing works. They are in Alabama. Alabama doesn't "title" Boats. They just register them. So, on paper only, you sell your boat to them. They will "register" it in Alabama. They then sell it back to you with Alabama "registration" and a Bill of Sale. You decide what price to put on the paper work. Because Alabama doesn't "Title" boats, you can take your Alabama Registration and Bill of Sale to your DMV and they register and title the boat for you. They accept the Bill of Sale because they know that Alabama doesn't title boats. For this service Broadway charges a fee based on the size of your boat. Very easy to do. They send you everything you need and very very specific instructions on what to take to your DMV. I did it. No problems and no questions asked.

rerfert
07-14-2005, 07:45 PM
Just FYI for anyone interested.
Here's how the Braodway title thing works. They are in Alabama. Alabama doesn't "title" Boats. They just register them. So, on paper only, you sell your boat to them. They will "register" it in Alabama. They then sell it back to you with Alabama "registration" and a Bill of Sale. You decide what price to put on the paper work. Because Alabama doesn't "Title" boats, you can take your Alabama Registration and Bill of Sale to your DMV and they register and title the boat for you. They accept the Bill of Sale because they know that Alabama doesn't title boats. For this service Broadway charges a fee based on the size of your boat. Very easy to do. They send you everything you need and very very specific instructions on what to take to your DMV. I did it. No problems and no questions asked.
SO that's where ALL the stolen boats go....Alabama, Courtesy of Broadway to get new paper??.
Here is the LEGAL WAY IN AZ.....If the boat and trailer were registered to the same owner...The AZ DMV can give you a print out of the last registered owner of the trailer...You can send a registered letter requesting power of attorney.(If no one responds you will have to get a bond on it)
For the boat you will have to go to the AZ Fish & Game Department and get a boat VIN number check....then do the same paper work as the trailer.
http://www.yumaduners.com/albums/album41/Mvc_004f_009.sized.jpg
I was lucky enough to have the last registered owner of the boat I bought (an $800 1979 Omega Jet) to still live in the area....The trailer was AZ registered and the boat still had the CF numbers (painted on of course....Nice job too....TOO bad I have to get them off and go with AZ numbers)
I tracked down the last registered owner and got him to sign a power of attorney for the trailer and a Bill of Sale for the boat....that is all I needed to get the LEGAL paper into my name.

Sleek26
07-14-2005, 09:39 PM
SO that's where ALL the stolen boats go....Alabama, Courtesy of Broadway to get new paper??.
Here is the LEGAL WAY IN AZ.....If the boat and trailer were registered to the same owner...The AZ DMV can give you a print out of the last registered owner of the trailer...You can send a registered letter requesting power of attorney.(If no one responds you will have to get a bond on it)
For the boat you will have to go to the AZ Fish & Game Department and get a boat VIN number check....then do the same paper work as the trailer.
http://www.yumaduners.com/albums/album41/Mvc_004f_009.sized.jpg
I was lucky enough to have the last registered owner of the boat I bought (an $800 1979 Omega Jet) to still live in the area....The trailer was AZ registered and the boat still had the CF numbers (painted on of course....Nice job too....TOO bad I have to get them off and go with AZ numbers)
I tracked down the last registered owner and got him to sign a power of attorney for the trailer and a Bill of Sale for the boat....that is all I needed to get the LEGAL paper into my name.
Sure, ALL stolen boats go to Alabama and all boats sold by those rotten people in Alabama are stolen. There are a number of other states that don't title boats too, but they're out of luck cause Alabama has them all.
All kidding aside it is , at least, a last resort if all else fails. What does it cost to get the two bonds you mention? When I used Broadway the total cost was around $150.00 The boat I had was too old to have an HIN and had no numbers on the bow. I had no clue how to trace the previous owner.

Wally_Gator
07-15-2005, 05:40 AM
I am sure that a simple statement of facts will work on this. Just check with DMV.
I have been through similar with cars in the past and had no problems with the statement of facts...