PDA

View Full Version : 496HO stalling

phebus
07-13-2005, 09:26 PM
For the first time ever, my 496HO occasionally stalls while idling. I don't know if I got some bad fuel or what, but I am going to replace both fuel filters, and go from there. The fuel was purchased at the AM/PM Arco at So. Palo Verde and Lake Havasu Ave, and when we went by there the next day, all the pump handles were bagged, and the station was closed. Other then at idle, the boat runs great.
Any other ideas? It sure can be a bitch getting it back on the trailer when it's stalling in neutral!!

INSman
07-13-2005, 09:47 PM
That gas station deals sounds suspicious and possibly more than a coincidence !!! :idea:
Nice meeting you this past weekend and take care of that back of yours :D

Throttle
07-13-2005, 09:50 PM
For the first time ever, my 496HO occasionally stalls while idling. I don't know if I got some bad fuel or what, but I am going to replace both fuel filters, and go from there. The fuel was purchased at the AM/PM Arco at So. Palo Verde and Lake Havasu Ave, and when we went by there the next day, all the pump handles were bagged, and the station was closed. Other then at idle, the boat runs great.
Any other ideas? It sure can be a bitch getting it back on the trailer when it's stalling in neutral!!
rick, this does not sound good, bad gas... Hey how da hell are you? I'm gonna be on havi fri, sat, sun... would love to meet up with you guys... let me know!

Kilrtoy
07-13-2005, 09:55 PM
It was nice to see you again this past weekend. Sorry to hear about the gas, maybe that is why you could not catch up to me :D

cc322
07-14-2005, 04:28 AM
I had a similar situation with my old boat, "carberated" when I would use the woodys gas. From there on I have always used Chevron or 76 and have never had a issue. They are more expensive but I think a better blend of fuel. Good luck.

phebus
07-14-2005, 07:17 AM
I'm hoping it is just a bad fuel issue. I have about 1/2 tank full in each tank, and I don't know if I can just top the tanks up with good fuel and run it through, or if I can use some kind of fuel treatment, or what I need to do. In all, it is about 40 gallons, and if I had to siphon it out, I don't know what I would do with it. I will be replacing both fuel filters.
The boat runs great except at idle, when it will occasionally stall. It was a bitch swimming it on to the trailer at 10:00 p.m. the other night.

Not So Fast
07-14-2005, 07:37 AM
I'm hoping it is just a bad fuel issue. I have about 1/2 tank full in each tank, and I don't know if I can just top the tanks up with good fuel and run it through, or if I can use some kind of fuel treatment, or what I need to do. In all, it is about 40 gallons, and if I had to siphon it out, I don't know what I would do with it. I will be replacing both fuel filters.
The boat runs great except at idle, when it will occasionally stall. It was a bitch swimming it on to the trailer at 10:00 p.m. the other night.
Rick;I always use Sundance Mobil in my boat period but I noticed that last weekend when I switched from starboard to port tank that my transom (obviously, duh :boxed: )became very soot covered. Not changing the subject but I really believe that the fuel we buy can be very different from tank to tank, I dont care what they say to the contrary. Went down yesterday and fueled up that tank and I hope it stops doing this (Soot) :confused: Plus these gas prices are F---ed. Later NSF

Mandelon
07-14-2005, 07:46 AM
The ideal thing would be to get it out of the tanks. But the difficulty may be too great for you, when there is nowhere to store it.
I would think you could use a water removal additive to the existing gas and then top off with a high quality fuel to dilute it. Change the filters a couple of times.
What about making a stink at the station? They ought to be responsible for it!

dicudmore
07-14-2005, 07:51 AM
Rick;I always use Sundance Mobil in my boat period but I noticed that last weekend when I switched from starboard to port tank that my transom (obviously, duh :boxed: )became very soot covered. Not changing the subject but I really believe that the fuel we buy can be very different from tank to tank, I dont care what they say to the contrary. Went down yesterday and fueled up that tank and I hope it stops doing this (Soot) :confused: Plus these gas prices are F---ed. Later NSF
they are F'ed alright but they are sure better in Havasu than back here in so cal

Havasu_Dreamin
07-14-2005, 08:21 AM
On Sunday the Arco only had the premium stuff which is why the pump handles were covered. We only use the Unocal over by the movie theater for gas in the boat. Phuckers ought to send us a christmas card each year! :p

dicudmore
07-14-2005, 08:26 AM
On Sunday the Arco only had the premium stuff which is why the pump handles were covered. We only use the Unocal over by the movie theater for gas in the boat. Phuckers ought to send us a christmas card each year! :p
yes they should... I bet that big blue motor is thirsty :D

phebus
07-14-2005, 08:27 AM
Which means on Sat. I got the bottom of the 87 tank. Might explain some things. I think that is where the water and bad juju hang out.

Havasu_Dreamin
07-14-2005, 08:40 AM
yes they should... I bet that big blue motor is thirsty :D
No kidding. Especially those runs to Moabi. Got the gas bill for last month :cry:

dicudmore
07-14-2005, 08:44 AM
No kidding. Especially those runs to Moabi. Got the gas bill for last month :cry:
I feel your pain, but I should be at moabi saturday, maybe sunday too

Beer-30
07-14-2005, 08:48 AM
WEll, since Phebus's thread has been properly jacked now:
Dicudmore, do you have to get fuel when going to Moabi from Havasu? I have never been up that far, and yours should be similar MPG to me. I have small tanks, though = 68 gals total.

dicudmore
07-14-2005, 09:01 AM
WEll, since Phebus's thread has been properly jacked now:
Dicudmore, do you have to get fuel when going to Moabi from Havasu? I have never been up that far, and yours should be similar MPG to me. I have small tanks, though = 68 gals total.
no... its not that far. Its about a 25 minute ride up the river at moderate speed (50-55)
my boat holds 90, but I will start at 1/2 or a little less on my gauge and run up there and back and still have plenty of fuel...

Beer-30
07-14-2005, 09:05 AM
Thanks.

Krumbsnatcher
07-14-2005, 09:13 AM
Drop a small bottle of rubbing alchohol in the tank. Leave your tank open for a while and as the alchohol evaporates so will your water.

Not So Fast
07-14-2005, 01:04 PM
Which means on Sat. I got the bottom of the 87 tank. Might explain some things. I think that is where the water and bad juju hang out.
Hit the nail on the head with that!! :hammer2: :hammer2: NSF

Not So Fast
07-14-2005, 03:01 PM
Stop the train here Rick, last I heard you were in between back surgeries waiting for some medication to clear up an infection fron prior procedures and now you are saying you were SWIMMING THE BOAT IN AT 10PM :rollside: I hope your Dr. does not see this post buddy :confused: NSF

phebus
07-14-2005, 04:52 PM
The doctor told me that swimming was good therapy. Non-impact excercise. :D I had to do what I had to do

Not So Fast
07-15-2005, 08:36 AM
The doctor told me that swimming was good therapy. Non-impact excercise. :D I had to do what I had to do
But trying to push/pull a 4500lb boat may be a little bit out of his parameters for SWIMMING!!!!!!!!!!!!! :confused: NSF

Raylar
07-15-2005, 10:33 PM
Rick;
Try spinning off the fuel water seperator filter, dump out the fuel, fill it with pint or so of rubbing alcohol, shake it good, dump it out and refill with some fuel and try running the boat at idle again. You can also just buy and install a new one. Also you might want to check the plugs, they might be fouled and need a good cleaning. Just some simple things to do here.
Good Luck on not having to put the boat on the trailer in the submerged position!
Ray @ Raylar :cool:

MagicMtnDan
07-15-2005, 10:42 PM
I haven't used Arco gas in years. It may be a bit cheaper but like everything else, you get what you pay for. Go Unocal or some other big name.
Good luck resolving the problem.