PDA

View Full Version : 460 Ford jaccuzzi advice

1972hallett
05-02-2006, 07:02 PM
I just bought a 1972 Hallet flat bottom with a 460 ford w/ jacuzzi jet. It is in great shape but the motor has been somewhat neglected. It has a 850 holley double pumper, a mild cam and a stock points style distributor. The previous owner said it was rebuilt about 100 hrs ago. I know I need a new carb just on its appearance, the distributor has to go too. Any suggestions for upgrades. What works best with this type set up?

b's sanger
05-02-2006, 09:16 PM
Show some pics. Depends on how the engine is now and how much you want to spend. Lakesonly can help you out with any future technical questions.

LakesOnly
05-03-2006, 08:02 AM
72Hallet, you need to determine what other componentry makes up your engine and also how it currently performs when well tuned...and then of course, what more you wish to get out of it performance-wise.
Headers or thru transom exhaust? Do you wnow what it has for a "mild cam?" Iron or aluminum intake? If factory iron heads, what are the casting numbers of the heads? (Casting number is on the outside of the head, along the valve cover mounting rail and between the 3rd and 4th exhaust port.) Have you done a compression test?
The 850 is a fine all-around carburetor; you may rebuild the one you have or possibly trade in your current carb for a rebuilt one from THIS GUY. (http://stores.ebay.com/Stahle-Performance-Inc) Send him a message, tell him you need an 850, and be sure to tell him Paul Kane sent you, and he'll take good care of you.
Distributor options are plentiful and and varied. Options range from bang-for-buck recurved stockers to programmable fancy ones. Many people will chime in on this one; pick one that most suits your application...personally, I feel it's way too easy to spend hundreds more than you really may need in this area...important as spark control is...
Tell us more about the engine components, how fast your boat is/max rpm, etc., and what you would like it to do.
LO

1972hallett
05-03-2006, 06:21 PM
Thanks for responding. I will post some pictures tomorrow. The engine block casting numbers are: D1VE 6015 A2B, the head # 00VE - A,
The carb is a holley 3310-1 with two fuel inlets and an electric fuel pump. It has an Edlebrock Performer 460 intake, a stock point distributor and Hardin water injected thru hull exahust. The jet is a Jacuzzi 12YJ. It does not have a place divertor. I have no data about the cam. I can just here the difference from my 71 Lincoln 460.
I just bought it and have not had it in the water yet so I have no idea how fast or the max rpm's. I'm just trying to get it ready. I plan on using it primarily for skiing but I would like to have it run in the 80+ mph range. The previous owner claims it would run this fast but there is no speedo, only a tach and a voltage meter.
Any advise you can give me would be appreciated
Thanks
Bill

LakesOnly
05-03-2006, 11:29 PM
Bill,
You have a D1VE block and D0VE-A heads. Assuming you have the factory dished pistons, your compression ratio is about 9:1. But if flat-top pistons were installed at +.030", then compression ratio is closer to 11:1 or more.
For an oem passenger car iron head, the D0VE heads can generate quite a bit of power if rubbed on correctly. They've been known to support over 600HP on naturally apsirated single carb 460's and more than 700HP on strokers. Proper combo is a must in order to get those numbers, and good porting is also required. You shouldn't need such major work to get your 80 mph, though.
There is a notable difference between the Edelbrock Performer and the Edelbrock Performer RPM. Which do you have?
Pull a valve cover and see if the motor has roller rockers or oem/stock valve train. If possible, measure a valve spring's installed height and then compressed height at peak lift so as to ballpark the vave lift/cam. If you have any cam with those heads, then I think your engine would be happy with an 850 Holley over the 750 Holley, particulary in the sustained rpm application of the jet boat.
80MPH with a Jaccuzi and no place diverter is a pretty bold statement, but anything's possible.
Feel free to PM me or give me a call with any questions; I may be reached via the phone number on the website in my signature line below.
LO
p.s.: What state are you in?

Ralph Brunt
05-04-2006, 05:22 AM
yeah 80mph is pretty much a pipe dream at this time I know!!!! 1976 hawaiian with 460 and jacuzzi i was lucky to see 50 before my summer rebuild. cyclone speed is putting an energizer kit in the pump. motor is know a 501 stroker thanx to paul and a few others. paul will set you on the right path you in good hands. ralph oh yeah my goal is 500 hp and 70 mphhttp://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/12022sea_doo_and_boat_lb_8-05_041-med.jpg http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/12022engine1_181-med.jpg

1972hallett
05-05-2006, 07:43 PM
I appreciate the feedback. First I live in Cave Creek AZ. This is my first Jet boat. I have had an old Century Coronado my kids have been bugging me to get something faster.
I went back to look at my heads and I have a DOVE - A with casting 9g2 on the port side and a DOVE - C with casting 9k2 on the starboard side. The motor has a Edlebrock Performer 460 intake. (not an RPM). I measured the springs and they are 1.82" and comrpessed they are 1.3".
Is the different casting number on the heads a problem?

LakesOnly
05-05-2006, 10:28 PM
D0VE-A and D0VE-C are the same heads and the difference in the suffix is not a problem at all. In your case, one was cast July 2, 1969 and the other was cast October 2, 1969 (based on the date cose you included from each head).
Assuming you took accurate measurement at the valve spring, it sounds as though you might have a mild RV cam.
If you indeed need to replace the carb, I think it might be wise to step up and get that Holley 850, List #4781.
Off to LA until Monday,
LO