PDA

View Full Version : Reverse Spam-Berkley JE/JF

spectratoad
07-14-2005, 12:40 PM
I am looking for a complete JE or JF pump. I am converting a boat from Panther to Berkley and am told these pumps are what would work best for my conversion.
Thanks for the help.

DeputyDawg
07-14-2005, 12:53 PM
If you are going to go through the trouble to convert over to a mixed flow pump i.e. Berkeley/Dominator because you want to gain performance you would be much better off doing a little more glass work and putting in a jg Berkeley or 12 S Dominator split bowl non-insert style pump. You are going to have to do some glass work anyway and I don't think you would really gain all that much if any switching from a Panther to a je/jf insert type pump. How much horsepower are you planning on running and what type of boat is it in?

Aqua Boogie1
07-14-2005, 12:56 PM
Hey Todd,
Whats up??? Not to go off course but hows Tyson and family????? Hows your family??? We won't make it to Tower Park but will be at Hallo-Roost. :cool:

spectratoad
07-14-2005, 01:02 PM
Hey Todd,
Whats up??? Not to go off course but hows Tyson and family????? Hows your family??? We won't make it to Tower Park but will be at Hallo-Roost. :cool:
Hey what's up!!! Everyone is doing pretty well. Ty got divorced so he is out playing but everything is going smooth for him. Misty and I are doing good. We will be at TP and also at the halloroost. How are you guys doing?

spectratoad
07-14-2005, 01:06 PM
If you are going to go through the trouble to convert over to a mixed flow pump i.e. Berkeley/Dominator because you want to gain performance you would be much better off doing a little more glass work and putting in a jg Berkeley or 12 S Dominator split bowl non-insert style pump. You are going to have to do some glass work anyway and I don't think you would really gain all that much if any switching from a Panther to a je/jf insert type pump. How much horsepower are you planning on running and what type of boat is it in?
The guy that was going to do the conversion for me said it is just easier to do the conversion with JE/JF pump. He said I can still do a JG just easier the other way.
It will be mostly stock so I am still even tossing around the idea of keeping the panther in there. I just don't know much about them or what kind of performance I would get. I was also going to get all this cutting, glassing conversion done before I paint.
The boat has a 454 in it now so it will run that or just a little more HP if I throw a supercharger on it or some other minor work.

Oldsquirt
07-14-2005, 01:15 PM
Todd, personally I think your better off keeping the Panther 'til you see how it performs.
As for a JE/JF conversion....Do you know how the inside of a hull is shaped to take one of those? More than half of the suction housing IS the hull and it needs to fit to the insert pump pretty tight. Removing the Panther "insert shape" and glassing things back to "normal" and then making two simple cutouts for the standard Berkeley pump would have to be far easier.

Her454
07-14-2005, 01:19 PM
We won't make it to Tower Park but will be at Hallo-Roost. :cool:
Whooooooooooo Hooooooooooooo, I've already started planning it!!!!! You missed out last year! :)

spectratoad
07-14-2005, 01:33 PM
Todd, personally I think your better off keeping the Panther 'til you see how it performs.
As for a JE/JF conversion....Do you know how the inside of a hull is shaped to take one of those? More than half of the suction housing IS the hull and it needs to fit to the insert pump pretty tight. Removing the Panther "insert shape" and glassing things back to "normal" and then making two simple cutouts for the standard Berkeley pump would have to be far easier.
OS,
Yeah my gut is saying get everything else done, see what the panther does in the water and go from there. The guy did say that the big reasong the JE/JF may be easier is because of the way it fits into the transom. He did also say the the intake is alot larger and farther forward than the panther.

spectratoad
07-14-2005, 01:34 PM
Whooooooooooo Hooooooooooooo, I've already started planning it!!!!! You missed out last year! :)
Yeah we needed someone besides me to make fun of. Well Traci got her share too. Things at Hogan do go bump in the night, oh wait that was Traci falling into her boat. :D

Oldsquirt
07-14-2005, 01:39 PM
If you have to cut out the Panther hull shape, it's got to be easier to reshape it for a standard pump. You might want to talk to Duane @Hi-Tech about the idea. I remember him answering some questions here a year or so ago about a JE to JC/JG conversion, which would be pretty similar to a Panther -to- JC/JG deal. Certainly sounded like he'd done a few.

Aqua Boogie1
07-14-2005, 01:52 PM
Hey what's up!!! Everyone is doing pretty well. Ty got divorced so he is out playing but everything is going smooth for him. Misty and I are doing good. We will be at TP and also at the halloroost. How are you guys doing?
We're doing good......................We are planning our wedding for june of next year. But with all these people getting divoreced, its kinda scary.

Aqua Boogie1
07-14-2005, 01:53 PM
We're there..........actually I think we will have costumes too!!!! :D

spectratoad
07-15-2005, 07:24 AM
We're doing good......................We are planning our wedding for june of next year. But with all these people getting divoreced, its kinda scary.
Congratulations. Don't worry about the divorce thing you guys will do just fine. Looking forward to seeing you at the hallo roost or sooner if you can get out. :cool:

Cas
07-15-2005, 07:56 AM
Todd,
To remove the Panther, you need to remove the insert and the molded in intake on the bottom of the boat. The transom and the bottom of the boat where the intake was will all need to be reglassed. Once that's done, whatever pump you go with would need to be fitted to the transom ie: holes cut. If you're thinking about a pump change, I'd go with the JG long before an E/F.....more options.
If it were me and mine, I'd save the money it would cost to do the conversion as you're really not going to gain all that much on that size of a boat. Panthers are real good pumps for the bigger boats as they move a lot of water. You've already got a stainless impeller with the Panther and a ride plate. To me, you'll be spending probably at least $2K for the conversion for very little return. Spending the $800.00 on the Panther Diverter will do great with that boat.
Since you're in no hurry, take the pump out, get it to me and I'll frashen it up for you.

Her454
07-15-2005, 11:48 AM
Yeah we needed someone besides me to make fun of. Well Traci got her share too. Things at Hogan do go bump in the night, oh wait that was Traci falling into her boat. :D
I think I sported that bruise all the way through Christmas LOL.......... :cry: :rollside:
CONGRATULATIONS Doug & Liz! Dont let the Divorces deter you, everyone has their ups and downs and in the end its what makes you both happy! :D
We're there..........actually I think we will have costumes too!!!! :D
Costumes are mandatory this year LOL! I had no idea this thing would grow so big and the turnout would be so many last year.... even more this year, sites are going fast. :2purples:

spectratoad
07-15-2005, 03:01 PM
Todd,
To remove the Panther, you need to remove the insert and the molded in intake on the bottom of the boat. The transom and the bottom of the boat where the intake was will all need to be reglassed. Once that's done, whatever pump you go with would need to be fitted to the transom ie: holes cut. If you're thinking about a pump change, I'd go with the JG long before an E/F.....more options.
If it were me and mine, I'd save the money it would cost to do the conversion as you're really not going to gain all that much on that size of a boat. Panthers are real good pumps for the bigger boats as they move a lot of water. You've already got a stainless impeller with the Panther and a ride plate. To me, you'll be spending probably at least $2K for the conversion for very little return. Spending the $800.00 on the Panther Diverter will do great with that boat.
Since you're in no hurry, take the pump out, get it to me and I'll frashen it up for you.
Yeah Steve that is what I am thinking. Would I gain much with a conversion???? I think you are right though. I will want to get it freshened up though this winter. I am still trying to keep this as a winter project. :hammerhea Misty is the one that really want the Berkley. She wants a rooster tail. :wink:

Cas
07-15-2005, 04:05 PM
you sure she said rooster tail and not just tail? :jawdrop:
KNow anyone that welds aluminum? If so, get the Panther diverter and once that is done, cut the nozzle off and reposition it so the diverter, when in the down position, is at about 1ยบ down. You will then have some additional up in it and it'll throw a fairly good roost.

Duane HTP
07-15-2005, 04:46 PM
Cas, we have converted many Panthers over to the other type pumps. Use a full blown pump, (JC ,JG, Dominator, Aggressor, or ATJ), not an insert, ( E or F Pump). Give me a call, I'll guide you through it.
Duane HTP

SmokinLowriderSS
07-15-2005, 05:19 PM
If it were me, I'd do the replacement to a regular style pump too. The glass work would be much more straight foreward.
If it were me (again), I'd enjoy the boat this year but probably do a change over winter.
The main advantage I would give you (since you are not putting a huge motor on it (yet)) is the parts selection availability of the Berk-style pumps. Not a lot available for a panther but a split-bowl Berk-style, tons of stuff to tune with.
My Taylor is running a Berk "F" and runs realy well, but I wouldn't choose it as a replacement pump for something else. The shorter, steeper,half-glass intake has it's own set of issues.

Cas
07-15-2005, 07:02 PM
Duane,
It's not so much about the conversion and how to do it. Todd just picked up a 23' Ranger, looks a lot like the Sleekcraft Executive, with pretty much stock power. I'm gonna guess he's really not looking to race the boat and probably not really concerned about going all that fast.
The Panther pump will do real well with that sized boat and adding a diverter to it will enable a lot of trim. It'll also give his wife a little tail :D
With the amount of time, energy and money it takes to do the conversion, people would be better off just finding another boat with what they want. Besides that, I've had JC's, JG's and Panthers, comparing the 3, I'd take the Panther for many reasons over the Berks for a lake boat. Longevity alone is worth a ton.
As I've said before, if someone wants to go 75 or better, there's more available with the other pumps.

spectratoad
07-15-2005, 08:19 PM
Duane,
The Panther pump will do real well with that sized boat and adding a diverter to it will enable a lot of trim. It'll also give his wife a little tail :D
So I get a little extra trim and the wife get some tail. WOW, sounds like a win-win to me. :wink:
I also am in line for a 468 Chevy that I can drop in but not sure if I am ready to spend the money.

JEThro
07-16-2005, 07:33 AM
Todd, I've got a JC with a Jetovator(no controls) for sale if you're interested.

spectratoad
07-16-2005, 01:12 PM
Todd, I've got a JC with a Jetovator(no controls) for sale if you're interested.
How much??? What is the performance difference between JC---JG? I know you can do a droop with JG but not sure what else. :confused: