PDA

View Full Version : Dyno learnings and Q's

quiet riot
07-14-2005, 10:34 PM
So I got to dyno my small block this week after rebuilding from some torched pistons. Pretty happy with the results as I got 520 hp at 5400 rpm with a real flat curve holding over 500 hp from 5100-5900, will match the jet pump pretty good.
The same combo with a different cam and big tube headers got over 600 hp at 6200 rpms but I don't wanna spend the extra dough for jacketed headers and run a smaller impeller to get those r's so I'll stick with mine. Plus with the n2o I can get all the hp this little jetboat wants.
Learnings,
The proform base plate and main body was able to get within 7 hp of peak when compared to a $1k race carb of the same size (apprx 800 cfm.) I'm pretty happy with that for the $250 bones I put into this carb.
The good carb however did hold rock solid on the egt's and my carb would vary a little at different rpm ranges. They told me it was due to the better metering blocks of the spendy carb.
100 LL avgas and 110 sunoco made no diff in egt's or hp for this 12.5:1 comp alum headed engine. We didn't try anything less as I can get avgas for the same price as super unleaded around here.
This motor apparrently likes more timing because 38 deg yielded 70 degree lower egt's than 34 deg timing. Kind of wierd but they said they had seen it before. Have any of you seen this before?
With the current jetting I had on the primary side (74's) and the 34 deg timing I had (thought I was being safe keeping timing on the lower side) we came to the conclusion that this was how I burnt the pistons last time. With the proform carb there was a rise in egt's at 3k-36k rpms, along with the slightly lean carb and the engine combo that didn't like less timing that all added up to too high egt's at cruise which is were I burnt the pistons at while cruising after I put the proform setup on.
We were able to get the egt's a little more consistant with some air bleed changes but still no where near as flat as the good carb. The final carb jets we stayed with were 80/84's on my proform main body 4150 holley carb. Almost where I started with (78's and 84's) when I put the proform on the previous engine but I was getting a rich looking condition when reading the plugs so I backed it down to 74's on the primary.
I was using autolite 3922's on the prev engine and we used ngk 7's on this dyno session and they looked good when all was said and done. I think I'll throw an autolite in one cylinder and see what it looks like now that I know the engine is tuned good.
Anyways it was cool for my first dyno session to see what all the little tweaks yielded and after 10 pulls I think they were ready to get rid of me but it was fun.
here (http://www2.***boat.com/forums/showthread.php?t=75223&highlight=caused) is the previous disscussion of my burnt pistions, looks like the pictures are gone though. We didn't run the n2o on the dyno cause of time and they said it was a little hard to control on there waterbrake dyno. I went with some custom JE pistions this time and now that the engine is tuned hopefully I'll keep it together better. The n2o system all checked out good with my pressure switch for the fuel and all, and they were pretty sure that it happenned when running n/a after seeing it this time on the dyno.
jd

DeputyDawg
07-15-2005, 01:23 PM
I love going to the dyno room with other peoples motors, but I am always nervous as hell when it is my engine they are hammering in there. A couple of years ago I was in the dyno room watching Greg Youngs 10,000rpm alky injected outlaw sprint car engine scream when the crank broke :2purples: :2purples: :2purples: ,
I think we all damn near hit the deck when that focker let go!! When it comes to jet boats I am a big block fan personally, but I think it's cool that you are doing something different.

blowngas
07-15-2005, 06:35 PM
This motor apparrently likes more timing because 38 deg yielded 70 degree lower egt's than 34 deg timing. Kind of wierd but they said they had seen it before. Have any of you seen this before?
the av gas burns a little slower than pump gas---with 34 degrees, the charge is still burning on its way out---with 38 its burning more in the chamber----alcohol does the same thing----this is why most fuel gurus say to mix av gas with LL premium

quiet riot
07-15-2005, 06:58 PM
the av gas burns a little slower than pump gas---with 34 degrees, the charge is still burning on its way out---with 38 its burning more in the chamber----alcohol does the same thing----this is why most fuel gurus say to mix av gas with LL premium
We didn't try anything less than the avgas by itself. Seems to make sense on the slower burn deal, heard it before. I might mix a little but don't want to vary much from the deal now that its tuned good for its current setup.
Do you think it would effect power/egt's to add some premium or 110 to the avgas and keep the timing at 38 total? I'm just iffy on messin with it too much since it seems kinda tempermental and I don't wanna burn pistons again. Maybe I should just run alky :D !
jd

quiet riot
07-15-2005, 07:10 PM
When it comes to jet boats I am a big block fan personally, but I think it's cool that you are doing something different.
A lot of these small alum jets runs small blocks giving them good power to weight ratio's. I'm upping the comp a little over a comparable big block but with the availability of avgas and same price of premium pump gas, i figured I'd try a little more compression.
I just figured unless I was wanting to get serious about racing or something it wasn't worth the extra dough for a big block when 4-500 hp comes easily and cheaply from a sb and weighs less. If I wanted 700-1000 hp realiably I'd of opted for big block and add boost to get serious, but I already had a sbf w/400 ponies when I built this boat and it pushed it over 70mph with a jet pretty easy.
Now i've just beefed up the motor a little and still have the n2o if I wanna try and hang with some bigger peeps occasionally.
jd

comin' unscrewed
07-15-2005, 08:41 PM
Umm.... What are egt's?

quiet riot
07-15-2005, 09:40 PM
Umm.... What are egt's?
Exhaust Gas Tempuratures.

comin' unscrewed
07-16-2005, 03:47 AM
Exhaust Gas Tempuratures.
Thank you.

sdpm
07-16-2005, 05:54 AM
What were the air/fuel ratios? How much compression?

blowngas
07-16-2005, 06:16 AM
Maybe I should just run alky
was a guy down here that ran a BBC with a tunnel ram and carbs on alky in a jet and it hooked up really good----carbs are a little pricey the first time out, and you use twice as much fuel as you do with gas, but it's really easy on parts and very forgiving on tuning----down side is you will have to drain all fuel system when thru playing each time----injection works easily also but not real friendly on part throttle!!!

quiet riot
07-16-2005, 07:11 PM
What were the air/fuel ratios? How much compression?
12.5:1 comp. a/f's were staying 14.9-15.1 when jetted right thru the range we were pulling (4k-6300 rpm.) Rest of setup is, afr 205 sbf alum heads, 410 cuubes (.040 bore long stroke 351w) with victor jf intake and roller everything. Cam, uh well I forget exactly cause its the same roller cam I used last time. 110 lobe sep, .590 lift around 240 at .050 or so. A little longer duration and lift sure makes this motor wake up around 6k rpms but I like having the steeper impeller for cruising and launching, and this cam builds more power around 5400 rpms and works great with the n2o.
jd

quiet riot
07-16-2005, 07:17 PM
was a guy down here that ran a BBC with a tunnel ram and carbs on alky in a jet and it hooked up really good----carbs are a little pricey the first time out, and you use twice as much fuel as you do with gas, but it's really easy on parts and very forgiving on tuning----down side is you will have to drain all fuel system when thru playing each time----injection works easily also but not real friendly on part throttle!!!
I'll prolly stick with gas, just like I stuck with a hyd cam trying to make it a real low maint play toy. It should hold together well now that its tuned ok. I'm pushing the limits of this stock 2 bolt block anyhow with the 250 n2o shot. Don't want to really make any more power for the components I have in this engine (cheaper forged crank, rods.)
jd

Sandbar Junkies
07-18-2005, 11:37 AM
It's fun watching other people Dyno there motors, its a little nerv racking watch your's getting pulled. My 406 SMALL BLOCK made 648 with a single dominator and 675 with the tunnle ram, I was happy.