PDA

View Full Version : Help w/ Prop Removal?

Shallow Minded
07-15-2005, 07:28 AM
I know, I know... it sounds easy enough, but I've got a loaner prop that I'm having a helluva time getting off. I think my shaft splines are a little tweaked and that's why it's fighting me.
Short of breaking out the sledge, any tips on how to get this thing off? Nobody seems to have a pulling tool with a long enough reach. And this will (hopefully) be a one-time deal so I don't need to add that tool to my workbench.
Any ideas would be appreciated.
SM

Beer-30
07-15-2005, 09:33 AM
I know, I know... it sounds easy enough, but I've got a loaner prop that I'm having a helluva time getting off. I think my shaft splines are a little tweaked and that's why it's fighting me.
Short of breaking out the sledge, any tips on how to get this thing off? Nobody seems to have a pulling tool with a long enough reach. And this will (hopefully) be a one-time deal so I don't need to add that tool to my workbench.
Any ideas would be appreciated.
SM
Hmmm. I am assuming we are talking standard Bravo-1?
Mine slips right off. Sounds like someone didn't grease the splines prior to install. Corosion takes over from there.
You may try a little, and I mean a little, heat on the bronze center portion. Even from a heat gun unstead of a torch(!). As someone pulls on the prop, lightly tap the center of the shaft with a small hammer. :confused:

phebus
07-15-2005, 09:43 AM
As someone pulls on the prop, lightly tap the center of the shaft with a small hammer. :confused:
If you do that, thread the prop nut on, and tap on it so you don't mushroom the threads on the shaft.

Shallow Minded
07-15-2005, 10:39 AM
Yep, standard Bravo 1. Of all the stuff I've done to this boat, this might be the most frustrating...
Thanks for the advice.

STV_Keith
07-15-2005, 01:23 PM
Call Kevin at R&R Prop Shop (http://www.randrpropshop.com) and ask if he has a trick. 702-564-7502

desertbird
07-15-2005, 03:50 PM
LIQUID WRENCH or KROIL, let it sit overnight.
It's probably not the splines, but the thrust washer in the back. Also try the tapping the shaft thing, but leave the nut off and use a deadblow or rubber mallet. :hammer2:

Shallow Minded
07-16-2005, 06:44 AM
LIQUID WRENCH or KROIL, let it sit overnight.
It's probably not the splines, but the thrust washer in the back. Also try the tapping the shaft thing, but leave the nut off and use a deadblow or rubber mallet. :hammer2:
I gotcha. I've got some deep penetrating stuff that's sitting on it right now. I'll let you know how it goes... thanks for the tips, guys.

WaterBox
07-18-2005, 10:13 AM
:idea: If all else fells, take the boat to a spot where there is shallow clear water, tie the front of the boat to a tree, put it in reverse and punch it. :D Just make sure you take the nut off first. :rollside: No. I have seen some splines wore enough that they will lock together. Put the drive in gear and try to shock the prop opposit rotation and pull it off, see if that helps. good luck

Shallow Minded
07-20-2005, 10:49 AM
I don't know about the tree and rope idea, but I think you're dead-on with the splines. I'm still fighting this thing, but will try to shock it the other way tonight. I've also got a good-sized bearing puller I'm going to try and rig up to work.

1BIGJIM
07-20-2005, 01:40 PM
I have a cutting torch you can use :D
When you get done with that project, you can come over and get the rear disk rotor that is stuck on my SUV off for me :jawdrop:

Shallow Minded
07-21-2005, 07:29 AM
I have a cutting torch you can use :D
When you get done with that project, you can come over and get the rear disk rotor that is stuck on my SUV off for me :jawdrop:
No torches needed... my bearing puller/ductape/bailing wire assembly did the job. The splines looked alright so I'm not sure what was fighting me.
Thanks for all the help, guys (not you, 1BIGJIM...) Ha, later.

cdog
07-21-2005, 07:40 AM
I had a problem getting the hup off of the spline on my imco sc drive. Turns out that the splines are at max tollerance so the hub goes on and comes off a little stubborn.