PDA

View Full Version : Stainless Steel Fuel Tanks

78Eliminator
10-16-2002, 09:09 AM
Where can I get some new stainless steel fuel tanks for my 19' Daytona hull? I think the ones in there are "Russell" tanks. Who sells them?

HavasuDreamin'
10-16-2002, 09:16 AM
I don't know if Russel is in business any more, but I know IMCO makes them. Be prepared to shell out some seious dough.....$$$$. Notice the four digits.......

78Eliminator
10-16-2002, 09:22 AM
HavasuDreamin':
I don't know if Russel is in business any more, but I know IMCO makes them. Be prepared to shell out some seious dough.....$$$$. Notice the four digits.......Here is my dilema: The previous owner cut the necks off the tanks really short (less than a cm) so that the hose that comes off the fuel fills always slips off (I can't even get a decent bite with the hose clamps) and spills fuel all over my bilge. Could I have someone weld new necks on that are stainless and will the new weld be stainless as well?
I have to get this fixed because with all the fuel that spills all over the bilge and the history of boat fires with my boat, the next one is going to burn the boat into nothing. I won't run it again until this is fixed.
[ October 16, 2002, 10:22 AM: Message edited by: 78Eliminator ]

superdave013
10-16-2002, 09:31 AM
Yes, that would be no problem to do. You would need to get a piece of s.s. tubbing and cut it to the lenghts needed. Then have a welder tig it one for you.

78Eliminator
10-16-2002, 09:33 AM
superdave013:
Yes, that would be no problem to do. You would need to get a piece of s.s. tubbing and cut it to the lenghts needed. Then have a welder tig it one for you.The tig will be a stainless weld and wont rust? Can I leave fuel in the tanks? j/k :D

Hustler
10-16-2002, 10:11 AM
Justin, call brian at KSH marine in Havasu he can fix the tanks you now (928) 680-6610, he builds tanks for alot of the builders in riverside/corona so shipping should not be a problem.

superdave013
10-16-2002, 10:19 AM
Hustler:
Justin, call brian at KSH marine in Havasu he can fix the tanks you now (928) 680-6610, he builds tanks for alot of the builders in riverside/corona so shipping should not be a problem.Come on Joe, I would think any local welder could do that. 78, if you can't get someone local to do it get the tubbing and I'll send it out in our shop and have one of the welders fix you up. Anaheim is a few hours closer then havasu.
Get ahold of John with JM mairne. He's in your area and can get it done too.

78Eliminator
10-16-2002, 10:30 AM
Thanks guys. Just my luck, the damn things are near full. I guess I have a bunch of blue fuel for my sport bike now :)
I'll look locally, but I would rather have them done by someone who is going to make real pretty welds that are visually appealing since they kinda show......

Snowboat
10-16-2002, 10:32 AM
Ideally, the tanks should be steamed for almost an hour, prior to welding.

superV
10-16-2002, 11:19 AM
78Eliminator:
Thanks guys. Just my luck, the damn things are near full. I guess I have a bunch of blue fuel for my sport bike now :)
I'll look locally, but I would rather have them done by someone who is going to make real pretty welds that are visually appealing since they kinda show......TIG always looks good if done right!

Rexone
10-16-2002, 04:17 PM
Justin, if you find someone to weld them we have some ss 2" dia tube (we use for thermo housings) about 2" long, if you need.

BlownCole
10-16-2002, 04:37 PM
78Eliminator:
I'll look locally, but I would rather have them done by someone who is going to make real pretty welds that are visually appealing since they kinda show......Any good welder should be able to make a good looking weld on stainless with a TIG. If you can't steam them fill them up with water to weld on them, kind of tricky but it works no BOOM
[ October 16, 2002, 05:37 PM: Message edited by: BlownCole ]

Jordy
10-16-2002, 05:12 PM
Any weld shop that does repairs on gas tanks should have carbon monoxide or carbon dioxide to pressurize the tanks with. It runs the oxygen out and will prevent fire/explosion. Filling them with water is a bad idea when you are trying to weld them as it will just force the fuel vapor to the top of the tanks, not to mention you will be hard pressed to get all the water out.
Jordy :D