View Full Version : Swim Starting....

afi823
07-15-2005, 10:13 AM
how exactly does this work? like, push starting a manual transmission car?? :confused:

Danhercules
07-15-2005, 10:44 AM
I am assuming you are talkin about the other thread.
There is no swim starting.

roostwear
07-15-2005, 10:47 AM
If you're at that point, it's more like start swimming.....

Keithb87
07-15-2005, 10:56 AM
how exactly does this work? like, push starting a manual transmission car?? :confused:
You have to make sure the mufler bearings are tight... (wouldn't want a muffler bearing to blow out during this procedure. It could be dangerous)
then put the jet in neutral...
Tie rope to the bow loop and start swimming.
When the boat get's up on plane have someone throw the boat in forward with the key on and it should start. :cool:

Liberator TJ1984
07-15-2005, 11:09 AM
be sure and make sure the radiators topped off ;) , since the pump is not turning you arn't getting any water to the motor :idea: don't want it to overheat while your pullin it

Taylorman
07-15-2005, 11:22 AM
You could always pull start it. Open the jet cleanout hole, wrap a rope around the shaft, turn on the key and give it a pull. Should fire off right away unless you have locked out timing.

victorfb
07-15-2005, 11:24 AM
you have to release the piston return springs so the engine turns over easier. useing adjustable spark plugs will help ignite the fuel with the slower starting procedure.

slotracer
07-15-2005, 11:51 AM
do not forget about the vasi va valve either.
pat(slotracer) :2purples:

CARLSON-JET
07-15-2005, 11:57 AM
Make sure the johnsonrod is not rubbing up against the flangegear. It needs plenty of clearance. :mix: R.B.

afi823
07-15-2005, 12:03 PM
funny very funny, shit i dont know what I was thinkin'. dont have to be sooooooooo meannnnn :mad: :D :D

Oldsquirt
07-15-2005, 12:06 PM
The most important thing to remember is that since it is your boat, you need to stay in it. Everyone else does the swimming. Make sure you have a full cooler of refreshments. :D

Keithb87
07-15-2005, 12:49 PM
funny very funny, shit i dont know what I was thinkin'. dont have to be sooooooooo meannnnn :mad: :D :D
Welcome to Just Jets.. :D :D

Devilman
07-15-2005, 01:44 PM
Dammit!! Harsh!!! Danhercules zinged me with that one the other day on the other thread.... :cool: :cool: I tell you! After I went back & read what he posted, I felt the Homer Simpson effect!!!

probablecause
07-15-2005, 01:50 PM
You could always pull start it. Open the jet cleanout hole, wrap a rope around the shaft, turn on the key and give it a pull. Should fire off right away unless you have locked out timing.
LMAO - That killed me!

BUSBY
07-15-2005, 01:55 PM
Close to what the wacker guys have to do right? :D

berk
07-15-2005, 03:08 PM
it might be easier for you to suck start the motor. still involves swimming but just plug one of your exhaust tips, your choice which one, using a fender, wad of used rubbers, breast, whatever. then wrap your lips around the remaining tip and suck her till she fires!
IMPORTANT: CARBON MONOXIDE IS A COLORLESS, ODORLESS GAS THAT IN HIGH CONCENTRATIONS IS VERY POISONOUS TO HUMANS. AFTER ENGINE IS RUNNING REMOVE LIPS IMMEDIATELY

cave
07-15-2005, 03:11 PM
You have to make sure the mufler bearings are tight... (wouldn't want a muffler bearing to blow out during this procedure. It could be dangerous)
Keithb87 that quote has me busting up.
That there is some funny sh!t. You guys are brutal.
afi823 welcome to Just Jets. Most of these guys have great advice. If your having problems post em but watch what you post. Give as much info as you can. Someone here will be able to help.

SmokinLowriderSS
07-15-2005, 03:22 PM
Check and make sure the battery is well charged too or the MSD injector and flux capacitor might not work right. Lean on a warm valve cover with a sweaty arm and lay the same sweaty wrist on the little red "+" post on the battery to check. If offshore, just dip said arm in ocean first. No need to work up a sweat. :idea:

GUGS102
07-15-2005, 03:46 PM
I think the best part of Dan's comments in the previous thread is if you have high compression, find steeper water - I just about spit my beer on my keyboard when reading that one.
Dan - I am looking forward to meeting you at CBBB. I'm sure we will all share some laughs
Gugs102

BUSBY
07-15-2005, 03:50 PM
it might be easier for you to suck start the motor.
I think I used to know a girl who could do that :D

SmokinLowriderSS
07-15-2005, 04:01 PM
My 2nd ex could do it, but you wouldn't have any chrome left on the outlet tips. :eek:
I had to get rid of her for other reasons. Yes, there ARE some things more important than sex. :2purples: :2purples:

Devilman
07-15-2005, 05:35 PM
What gets me is that it started out all innocent. I was reading it & thought "swim starting"? Maybe there IS an alternative to being pulled back to the ramp. I even posted a question asking about it.... Danhercules came back with an "answer".... :D After he posted, I read his explanation.... DOH!!! WTF?!?! Dude, you just been had!!!! It was funny though!! :D :D