PDA

View Full Version : No Tobacco Company Plociy

Boozer
07-15-2005, 11:08 AM
Here's something I found to be interesting.
I was contacted by a company who found my resume on Monster. I didn't know much about the company other then they are recruiting people in my area and offer some pretty nice perks. Needless to say I agreed to the interview and completed it about 20 minutes ago.
During the interview I was informed that the company was a No Tobacco company meaning that they do not hire people who use tobacco products PERIOD. They also do not allow existing employees to use tobacco products.
Luckily, I finished my cigarette about 15 minutes BEFORE the interview so they have no idea I smoke. I guess if I'm offered the position and take the job I have a good excuse to quit smoking, but still... No smoking even off the clock??
How can this be legal? Anyone else ever heard of this policy before?

Boozer
07-15-2005, 11:15 AM
Who are you going to work for, Nicorette?
Nope. Smith n Wesson. I guess gun toating cowboys arent allowed to light up anymore. WTF??

HCS
07-15-2005, 11:16 AM
State prison system.
Law went into effect or goes into effect soon.

Wonderboy
07-15-2005, 11:17 AM
I beleive I've heard of one company doing it before to keep the cost of their health benifits down.

HCS
07-15-2005, 11:17 AM
In California that is.
Maybe they don't want you to blow up. What are you going to be doing?
Packing bullets?

superdave013
07-15-2005, 11:21 AM
It helps keep their health insurance down.
My sister-in-law works for a place like that. I must say I wouldn't hire a smoker either. Drive around and notice the people standing outside buildings. Yup, those people are copping a quick smoke while the non smokers are picking up their slack. Who would you want to have working for you if you were funding their pay check?
A smoker who is not as productive and increases your insurance or a non smoker who at the very least won't be taking a few "smoke breaks" through out the day?

LHC30Victory
I beleive I've heard of one company doing it before to keep the cost of their health benifits down.
Bingo! These policies are exactly for that reason - lower health care costs..

ratso
Plociy... Does it matter if you can spell or not? :D

Boozer
07-15-2005, 11:22 AM
In California that is.
Maybe they don't want you to blow up. What are you going to be doing?
Packing bullets?
I guess they are going to be introducing a line of less then lethal products for law enforcement use. In order to prove that the products are less then lethal they need people to test them on.
If I die then it's not less then lethal and the product will not be introduced to the market.

topless
07-15-2005, 11:23 AM
Will they pay you to post on HB still?

Boozer
07-15-2005, 11:23 AM
Plociy... Does it matter if you can spell or not? :D
How do I get that fixed? I see people do it all the time but I have yet to figure it out.

HCS
07-15-2005, 11:24 AM
Bingo! These policies are exactly for that reason - lower health care costs..
The Cal prison systems are doing it because they don't think prisoners should have the right to smoke.
That and maybe the health cost issue.

ratso
07-15-2005, 11:26 AM
How do I get that fixed? I see people do it all the time but I have yet to figure it out.
Some sites have where you can edit your post. I don't know how to do it on here... :squiggle:

Boozer
Will they pay you to post on HB still?
Yup. And don't worry I already forwarded your resume to them.

WaTchTheGelCoat
My sister-in-law works for a place like that. I must say I wouldn't hire a smoker either. Drive around and notice the people standing outside buildings. Yup, those people are copping a quick smoke while the non smokers are picking up their slack. Who would you want to have working for you if you were funding their pay check?
A smoker who is not as productive and increases your insurance or a non smoker who at the very least won't be taking a few "smoke breaks" through out the day?
Thats not entirely true. At my shop, everyone gets two 15 minute breaks, and a half hour lunch break. I take one of my 15 minute breaks in the morning, go outside smoke a cig in about 5 mins, and go back to work. Meanwhile the non smokers here are lollygaging around drinking water and what not for the full 15 mins. at the very most, I smoke 2 cigs a day at work.

hoolign
You may try correspondence :p

topless
Yup. And don't worry I already forwarded your resume to them.
So we can carpool.

Boozer
07-15-2005, 11:27 AM
Some sites have where you can edit your post. I don't know how to do it on here... :squiggle:
I tried that and it didnt work.

RiverDave
07-15-2005, 11:27 AM
That's seriously arguable... Without getting into the whole of it there's some people that can do more productive shiznit in 15 minutes, then others do in an hour. I.E. Working smart not hard.
A perfect example of that would be 2 weeks ago we were getting ready to pass on a pretty sizeable CNC job for certain reasons.. One smoke break later I came up with an idea to make it producable, contacted the customer, he said he liked it better then the original design, and wallah.. Machines are humming along in the back.
If I hadn't taken that smoke break, I'd be sitting here on ***boat banging my head against the desk becuase I had to pass on a job..
RD

HCS
07-15-2005, 11:29 AM
That's seriously arguable... Without getting into the whole of it there's some people that can do more productive shiznit in 15 minutes, then others do in an hour. I.E. Working smart not hard.
A perfect example of that would be 2 weeks ago we were getting ready to pass on a pretty sizeable CNC job for certain reasons.. One smoke break later I came up with an idea to make it producable, contacted the customer, he said he liked it better then the original design, and wallah.. Machines are humming along in the back.
RD
You know if people didn't waste all their time reading and posting on here maybe everyone would get more done. :hammer2:

jackpunx
If I hadn't taken that smoke break, I'd be sitting here on ***boat banging my head against the desk becuase I had to pass on a job..
RD
take another smoke break and come up with a dog sitter idea :smile:

topless
You know if people didn't waste all their time reading and posting on here maybe everyone would get more done. :hammer2:Yea, now get back to work! :cool:

phebus
07-15-2005, 11:33 AM
I guess they are going to be introducing a line of less then lethal products for law enforcement use. In order to prove that the products are less then lethal they need people to test them on.
If I die then it's not less then lethal and the product will not be introduced to the market.
Boozer, the crash test dummy. :D Good luck taser boy :220v:

hoolign
07-15-2005, 11:34 AM
RD
With that mohawk your sporting ..you would look lie a rooster having a tug o war with a rubber worm :D

HCS
07-15-2005, 11:35 AM
Add that to the growing list of placing I will not be visiting. :D
Wouldn't want to visit. I thinking it must apply to their employees also.
Could you imagine a bunch of pissed off withdrawn prisoners while the guards stand around and smoke. :jawdrop: :D

Boozer
07-15-2005, 11:37 AM
You know if people didn't waste all their time reading and posting on here maybe everyone would get more done. :hammer2:
As you post this there are 25 people pissed off at the parts counter wanting to know where their replacement brakes for their Nissan Titan are.

lucky
07-15-2005, 11:37 AM
yes i agree dave -- non productive smoking bastards -- I'd much rather spend my time on the internet :coffeycup :D

Jbb
07-15-2005, 11:38 AM
I think it has much less to do with the time you take for smoke breaks ...and everything to to with them having to pay for the oxygen tent your gonna need in a few years to breathe......I dont blame them one bit....please disregard RD's post about being creative while smoking,polluting and littering...he was smoking ganja......and his ideas are crazy.....like putting the prop in front of the drive...................... :p

lucky
07-15-2005, 11:39 AM
RD
and what where you smoking you creative genious ?

HCS
07-15-2005, 11:39 AM
As you post this there are 25 people pissed off at the parts counter wanting to know where their replacement brakes for their Nissan Titan are.
That and their wandering what's so funny! :D lol

Boozer
07-15-2005, 11:42 AM
Damn listen to all of you smoke bashers.
I'll have you know that us smokers are great multi taskers. Who else is capable of driving a car, drinking coffee, smoking a cig, eating mcdonalds breakfast, while taking notes, posting on the forums from their blackberry and closing a business deal on the cell phone? This is all while manuevering through crazy ass orange county traffic.

HCS
07-15-2005, 11:46 AM
I don't like the smoke from cigs but if people want to smoke have at it.
I could care less just don't want to breath it myself.

91nordic29
07-15-2005, 11:48 AM
Thats not entirely true. At my shop, everyone gets two 15 minute breaks, and a half hour lunch break. I take one of my 15 minute breaks in the morning, go outside smoke a cig in about 5 mins, and go back to work. Meanwhile the non smokers here are lollygaging around drinking water and what not for the full 15 mins. at the very most, I smoke 2 cigs a day at work.
yeah, what he said!
i guess it isnt any worse than guys who take reading material to the bathroom at work. i just dont get that. they arent even modest about it! :2purples:

Boozer
07-15-2005, 11:50 AM
I don't like the smoke from cigs but if people want to smoke have at it.
I could care less just don't want to breath it myself.
Hmmm... you're going to hate my new invention then.
Studies show that car salesman are more productive and have a higher close rate if they smoke cigarettes. Unfortunately smoking can be time consuming so I developed a system that pumps tobacco smoke in through the ventilation system of car dealerships.
You're dealership is scheduled for installation next week.
:eek: :eek: :2purples:

ratso
07-15-2005, 11:51 AM
I had a guy, not only smoked like a train all day long, but would also go to the john with a crossword puzzle for at least half an hour. Fired him. :notam: