PDA

View Full Version : Where to Buy New Swim Steps

Coughlin's Law
02-03-2002, 10:32 PM
Can anyone recommend where I can buy some new swim steps? I was looking at some polished billet aluminum steps on Eddie Marine's Catalog, but I'm sure there are others out there.
Thanks in advance for your input.
-Coughlin

LeadFootTheRabbit
02-03-2002, 11:13 PM
CL, try West Marine @ www.westmarine.com (http://www.westmarine.com) You can also request a catalog. They sent me one for free. Its a 1000 pages with lots of stuff! Good luck LDFTRBT

Coughlin's Law
02-05-2002, 08:35 PM
LDFTRBT,
West Marine might work if I had a Bayliner or something.
I have a 24 Commander Signature that has the original teak steps on them. I wanted to upgrade to some of the cool billet steps, but just having a hard time finding exactly what I want.
Thanks for the reply.
-Coughin

e-ticket
02-05-2002, 08:38 PM
CL
I have used the billet swim steps from Eddies Marine on two boats and if I decide to put them on my Howard, they are the only ones I would even look at. Good luck with your decision!

JETBOAT BRIAN
02-05-2002, 08:42 PM
got mine from eddie marine also high quality ... and i would buy them again

Coughlin's Law
02-05-2002, 09:03 PM
Well, I guess I'm gonna go with Eddie Marine.
Thanks for your input.
Hey JB,
Thanks again for the HTM stickers!
You 'da man!
-Coughlin

JETBOAT BRIAN
02-05-2002, 09:06 PM
Your very welcome ....and you made the correct choice in swim steps ,you will not be disapointed!

carreraboat
02-06-2002, 06:40 AM
i think dana marine has the best ones out there i think they even might build them for eddie

superdave013
02-07-2002, 08:28 AM
Or if you are like me you could just go down to Schoor Metals in Anaheim and get some chunks out out the rem bin. It's only a 1.90 a pound and yes they will have what you need in the rem scrap.
Then make your own your way. If you know what you want I could make them for ya.
Anyone can buy a set, I like to be different myself.

Coughlin's Law
02-07-2002, 08:05 PM
Wow SuperDave, that's quite an offer.
But I went ahead and ordered from Eddie Marine an received my order today.
JetboatBrian was right, I was not disapointed.
The only challenge I have now is mounting them. My old steps mounted from the outside, but these mount from the inside.
And of course I have to fill the out holes because the new steps don't match up. I was thinking about using some silicon caulking. Any other suggestions? Would epoxy of something else be better?
Maybe I should change my name from Coughlin to Rookie, but I think Rookie is taken. :>)
Thanks again everyone!
-Coughlin

superdave013
02-08-2002, 04:30 PM
Are the new brackets covering the holes? If so the you could get away with siliconing them up I would think.
If not I just would not squirt some silicon in the holes. Thinking that they are under the swim step and no one will see them I would get some stringer washers that match the steps or the other hardware. Put one on the inside and outside and through bolt them with a bolt gooped up with silicon.
If you want to fill them and make it look like they were never there take it to Orange County Boat Repair in Stanton. Havasu Barney is doing some nice gelcoat work too. Barney is filling a ton of holes in my boat right now! But you have to take it to Havasu for him to do it. http://www.havasubarney.com/gallery/album21

SoCalPower
02-09-2002, 07:47 AM
Originally posted by carreraboat:
i think dana marine has the best ones out there i think they even might build them for eddie
For the record, Eddie has a complete machine shop in-house and builds all of his own stuff.......Both Dana and Eddie build high quality products.
Coughlin - depending on the center-line distance of your old brackets, you can fabricate billet adapters to pick-up old holes. Sounds like a bracket on a bracket but they can be made with a beveled or radiused edge for style and will actually provide a larger load bearing surface at the transom. Also, they can be powdercoated to match. You would bolt Eddie brackets to custom adapter plates with flat sockethead bolts. One last thing, you don't need to use all the old holes but be sure they are siliconed and covered with new plates. Go with .375" T6 6061 material. Just some things to ponder. Should be clean and less $$ than filling gel-coating. db

Coughlin's Law
02-12-2002, 03:33 PM
Just wanted to thank everyone again for their input. Got the new steps on the boat today and they look SWEEEEEET!
I ended up having Al at John's Custom Marine install them for me. They are the nicest group of guys.
See you this summer!
-Coughlin

eliminator777
02-23-2002, 08:45 PM
Try Ron at west marine Lake havasu he and hi wife own Az-AK marine they make really nice ones they also do windsheilds and any thing in plastic

hulshot
02-23-2002, 10:24 PM
e-ticket What kind of Howard

hulshot
02-23-2002, 10:26 PM
CL are you talking about Stoker (lil Al)

e-ticket
02-23-2002, 11:49 PM
hulshot
http://www.havasubarney.com/gallery/albums/album40/lt_buff.thumb.jpg
It is a 74 21' Custom Cruiser v-drive. It has just gotton new gel-coat by Havasu Barney.
e-ticket

hulshot
02-25-2002, 10:57 AM
e-ticket swweeetttt. love daycruiser v-drives

Coughlin's Law
02-25-2002, 11:36 AM
Hulshot,
Yes, the GREAT guys that build the Stokers, but Alan is "Al".
Maybe you're thinking of "Little John" that works there, but if you've met him...you'll know he's really not too little.
Best Regards,
Coughlin

spectras only
02-25-2002, 12:01 PM
I'm going to have my 24 spectra done with endura. My neighbour had his Dodge Indy truck repainted [ had a little squirmish with it? ]and the finish turned out exactly like factory. I would have liked gelcoat, but was told it's harder to apply on a boat than do it in the mould.
[This message has been edited by spectras only (edited February 25, 2002).]

hulshot
02-26-2002, 09:54 PM
CL you're right it is lil john and yes he isn't that little. I almost bought a 20.4 sst a few years ago but deceided to by an eliminator daytona instead at that time.