PDA

View Full Version : Gary's Auto Marine- Lake Havasu City

99shockwave
07-15-2005, 06:43 PM
I wanted to let everyone know I was ripped off by Gary last weekend. I left my boat for a new impeller, estimate $300. He did not finish until the following day and charged me $600. If anyone has had a similar situation happen with Gary please notify me.

TCHB
07-15-2005, 06:48 PM
I had a friend tell me he was not happy with Garys Marine becuase he thought he was no honest with the price quotes.
My experience has been good with Savage, Absolute and Ancon.

revpuffdaddy
07-15-2005, 06:51 PM
I quit using Gary as well after a similar incident! He promised my boat for a Friday afternoon and ended up not finishing the baot at all on that weekend. He had the boat for 3 weeks prior to that!! Simple tuneup and impeller. The following weekend he promised the boat on Friday afternoon but didn't finish till Saturday morning. I ask him to install a new prop for me ( I provided the prop) since he hadn't met his own deadline two different times. He installed the prop and charged me $45.00 labor for prop installation...and his original estimate of about $280 ended up being $455.00 plus tax!!!
I have used Alco Marine since that time and have been very happy with their service. The best part is, Alco works off appointments. Drop your boat in the morning and pick it up at the end of the day or before!!

99shockwave
07-15-2005, 06:59 PM
Thanks for the info. I am giving Gary a chance to make things right (as I was an existing customer) before taking futher action. My situation was similar. Dropped off at 11:30 Friday, told it would be done by 2:30. Called and told 3:30. Went by and they had done additional work without my authorization. $300 quote for impeller now was a $500 bill! Still not done until 9:00 the following day and given a bill for $600. Disputed bill and he called the police. Told the officer I would pay bill and worry later. Gave my CC and told CASH only! I am sure this type of thing has happened to others and I am tired of it. It is time to make things right and hold these crooks accountable!!

99shockwave
07-15-2005, 07:13 PM
As I mentioned, I was a previous customer and had always used my CC. He wanted cash when I questioned the bill. I want to alert all to his (and possible others) business practice. You know how it is when the tear your stuff apart and then hold you hostage.

Sane Asylum
07-15-2005, 07:18 PM
Sounds like a stand up guy............ :supp: :hammer2: :hammer2:

uvindex
07-15-2005, 07:26 PM
What was the additional work done without your OK? When you disputed the bill, did he instantly call the police? (or did he offer to "undo" the work or similar?). I'm not defending the guy (never used him, don't know anything about him) just asking the questions a judge might ask if you were to take your case to small claims court (which is something you might consider).
The asking for cash is very slimy, as he obviously knew you could dispute the bill with your credit card company.

J540
07-15-2005, 07:39 PM
I quit using Gary as well after a similar incident! He promised my boat for a Friday afternoon and ended up not finishing the baot at all on that weekend. He had the boat for 3 weeks prior to that!! Simple tuneup and impeller. The following weekend he promised the boat on Friday afternoon but didn't finish till Saturday morning. I ask him to install a new prop for me ( I provided the prop) since he hadn't met his own deadline two different times. He installed the prop and charged me $45.00 labor for prop installation...and his original estimate of about $280 ended up being $455.00 plus tax!!!
I have used Alco Marine since that time and have been very happy with their service. The best part is, Alco works off appointments. Drop your boat in the morning and pick it up at the end of the day or before!!
Man $45.00 to put a prop on. WTF its a 5min, job and thats showing someone how to do it and putting all the tools away.
Dude I hope he used protection, but i would go get an STD test just in case. that is F,ed up
I had that marina shop do my friends impeller two yr,s ago and they took the back seat out and back flushed the lines and all, the bill was $150.00.

TCHB
07-15-2005, 07:46 PM
There are too many other good boat guys in town to mess with a crook like this guy. I have pulled my boat into Savage with a overheat problem and two hours later the impeller was replaced and all the lines flushed for under $200. He even cleaned my exaust tips like new. I got the same kind of service when I had warranty work done at Alco Marine.

Third Alarm
07-16-2005, 05:44 AM
I was there, it was total B.S. he even took off in his truck and parked in front of us so we couldn't leave.
I had a feeling he has done this before :idea:

HOSS
07-16-2005, 05:49 AM
I`m a shop owner. Stay the hell away from this cat. This dude is doing back door deals. Wouldn`t trust him with my shit.

scarabrick2
07-16-2005, 05:49 AM
Does he have FIRE insurance? :idea: :D Oh never mind we'll find out later :D J/K

bigd1
07-16-2005, 06:29 AM
Scumbag. Sue him in small claims court. Tools like that get worried when the courts get involved 'cause they know they're dirty.

scarabrick2
07-16-2005, 06:46 AM
file a report with the BBB. I had a friend run ann ad in the paper telling everyone about the buisness. He even made flyers and put them on peoples trucks/cars in the parking lot at say Wal-mart,BOAT LAUNCH RAMP ON A BUSY WEEKEND :idea:

boxscore
07-16-2005, 06:46 AM
Sorry to hear about this. I always had good experiences with him. Haven't used him in a few years though. He was highly regarded back in the day when he operated outa a gas station (Union 76?) years back. All the locals recommended him. He did a rebuild on an old jet boat for me and was very fair. Thx for the heads up. Doesn't he run an ad in ***boat Mag every month...specials on service?

BajaMike
07-16-2005, 06:51 AM
I've used him several times, on my truck, boat and trailor, always did good work, for a reasonable price. He even picked up my truck at storage, fixed it, cost was less then the estimate, and took the truck back to storage.
I never had a problem with him, but it's been about a year since I was there.
:confused:

99shockwave
07-16-2005, 06:59 AM
Thanks for all the feedback. Bottom line, there are many reputable repair shops in LHC. But I feel this guy had me by the sack when he did additional work over and above the original estimate without authorization. I was curious how may other people have been bent over in a similar situation?Lesson learned, if you think you have been hosed, pay bill with CC and dispute later. I tried to discuss the overcharge when he went ballistic and called the cops. I will go the small claims route if necessary.
Tell a friend about this, use caution when dealing with:
GARY'S AUTO MARINE
140 LAKE HAVASU AVE.
LHC, AZ

HOSS
07-16-2005, 07:05 AM
Certain things have to be changed in order to do others. Certain things should be changed cause your already in it. He should have called you though. Thats the bottom line.

scarabrick2
07-16-2005, 07:47 AM
My dad owned a marine busness for many 10+yrs. When I/we worked on boats or motors and we found something else wrong or came across another problem we would allways call the customer. Unless the customer said in the begining do what it takes to make it work(long time customer having trust in ourselfs not to screw him) we would rather be safe and keep our reputation than shock him with a big bill. Most of the time thay would say you didn't have to call but Thanks for the call. Nothing like going to pick up your boat and be hit with DOUBLE the estimate. Remember it's just an estimate and sometimes other thing happen.

scarabrick2
07-16-2005, 07:48 AM
oh yah, WE allways gave back the old parts/pieces

2Driver
07-16-2005, 08:53 AM
file a report with the BBB. I had a friend run ann ad in the paper telling everyone about the buisness. He even made flyers and put them on peoples trucks/cars in the parking lot at say Wal-mart,BOAT LAUNCH RAMP ON A BUSY WEEKEND :idea:
I'd be afraid of being sued for liable with that petty stuff. Also your fire comments in the other post could be used in court too. I am sure we have an attorny in the forum that could tell us for sure?
If you want to f'him:
- Go to the Attorney General in AZ & file a report http://www.azag.gov/
- Go to BBB and file a complaint - may or may not help.
- This thread also helps as long as you state facts.
- File a report here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/reports/default1497.htm If nothing else this site is therapy (I found some stuff on the Nautical inn here)
- Court is an option if you really feel fd
The BBB and Attorney General are easy ways to get him to have to respond to a bunch of paperwork and get documented as a D-head. I used Gary when I lived in LHC many moons ago - sounds like he went to Sh-t. I sure hate to see Knuckle heads making money that don't deserve it.

scarabrick2
07-16-2005, 09:17 AM
I'm an attorney and know for a fact it can't. Plus is was taken in the wrong context by you. The J/K MEANS Just/Kidding. How can you be sued if you had nothing to do with it:) I'm not sure this is even me. I found this computer logged on in the public library. Oh no, here comes someone BYYYYYYYYYYY

2Driver
07-16-2005, 09:25 AM
I'm an attorney and know for a fact it can't. Plus is was taken in the wrong context by you. The J/K MEANS Just/Kidding. How can you be sued if you had nothing to do with it:) I'm not sure this is even me. I found this computer logged on in the public library. Oh no, here comes someone BYYYYYYYYYYY
That good info to know -seriously.
Should I expect an invoice now? J/K :rollside:
See ya

1Shockwaveguy
07-16-2005, 09:36 AM
Sorry to hear about this. I always had good experiences with him. Haven't used him in a few years though. He was highly regarded back in the day when he operated outa a gas station (Union 76?) years back. All the locals recommended him. He did a rebuild on an old jet boat for me and was very fair. Thx for the heads up. Doesn't he run an ad in ***boat Mag every month...specials on service?
Same here, he has never done my family wrong but have not taken anything to him in a year or so.

TRIMM MANN
07-16-2005, 10:20 AM
I have used Gary several times and recently and always been treated more than fair :confused:

lalhc
07-16-2005, 11:08 AM
My brother-n-law just had his trailer repaired @ Gary's before traveling back to Cali. He asked for all new brakes, bearings packed, and new master cylinder (if needed). Gary's repaired the trailer (took 5 extra days to finish) and while traveling home the brakes siezed up just 10 minutes out of town. Gary wanted to charge him even more for additional repairs. This guy is a total RIP-OFF!!

Third Alarm
07-16-2005, 05:00 PM
Yes and for twice the amount he told you. :wink:

100+Placecraft
07-16-2005, 05:13 PM
I used him once a couple years back and was very happy, used him last year and got ripped off!!! My $400 estimate turned into $800!! He charged me like $150 to remove my back seat to remove the impeller, then claimed the lines all needed backflushing. I was pissed and he was totally late. I had $500 cash on me and he wouldnt take a check for the rest, and all the banks were closed. Had to drive all the way back to Topock to pick up the CC from my wife. Will never go there again! Sounds like a few people need to get together and do something.

Chicken Ship
07-16-2005, 06:50 PM
I bought a boat from a guy 4 years ago. When I bought the boat the guy had papers showing that Gary's had just rebult the motor. Well I only got to put about 1 hr on the boat before the motor it came apart. Upon rebuilding it I relized that all Garys did was replace the gaskets with automotive ones but charged the guy for an eng rebuild. I would never send any one to Garys. Alco marine has always been fair to everyone I know.
By the way when you droped off your boat for repairs did you sign a work order with a quote on it? If not you should not of had to pay for anything. You may want to check into that. I work in a auto shop and we did some work on a guys truck. After reparing it the guy split town and left his truck behind, about 6 months later the shop owner tried to get a mechanics lean on the truck so he could sell it but could not because the owner of the truck never signed a work order allowing us to work on it. Good luck

Third Alarm
07-16-2005, 09:37 PM
I have been watching this thread closley and I'm amazed at the stories about this Jackhole.
And all of the great stories about Alco, Absolute and Savage marine.
I know were I'm going for sevice.

Not So Fast
07-17-2005, 08:06 AM
I wanted to let everyone know I was ripped off by Gary last weekend. I left my boat for a new impeller, estimate $300. He did not finish until the following day and charged me $600. If anyone has had a similar situation happen with Gary please notify me.
Holy Crap, how does this guy stay in business, or alive! Am I glad to have one of the best Wrenches in Havasu as my Cousin, boy I guess ;) NSF

KoolPop
07-17-2005, 10:11 AM
There are many places in Havasu to get service on a boat, but living in Havasu and hearing about, and having dealt with a few of them, I highly recommend Gaines marine (soon to be Shimmer Marine), they are as honest and nice as you'll find anywhere, if they replace any parts or need to do anything extra you will get a call and all old parts will be kept for your inspection. Mike and Anita are just regular people doing a great job, and they just dig boats. They are also the Playcraft dealer in Havasu.

CB1
07-17-2005, 11:03 AM
About 3 years ago, I took my boat in for service, routine, impeller, oil and stuff. I dropped it off and he gave me in esimate of 240.00. I told him if the price went up to call me. I called him in the afternoon and he said that it was more money because he had to pull my bench seat out to get to the impeller. Without calling he did the job and charged me 385.00. I was pissed. I went to pick up my boat and he had his fork lift infront of it. I quess hes ripped people off in the past and people just hook up and leave. So I paid and he moved the fork lift away. I would NEVER, EVER , EVER, GO to him again. I knew some day he wouls get his and look whats happening now. The largest Boating site is laying him out...................................Sorry to hear what happen to you, good luck... Let me know if you need anything.

1GLF
07-17-2005, 01:36 PM
99SHOCKWAVE LEFT OUT A FEW IMPORTANT FACTS.
FIRST , BEING A REGULAR CUSTOMER AND HAVING A BUNCH OF PEOPLE VISITING,AND NOT HAVING AN APPOINTMENT, HE WAS PUT IN RIGHT AWAY TO HELP HIM OUT.CURRENTLY WE ARE BOOKING APPROX. 1 WEEK AHEAD.AS WE DO FOR ANY OF OUR REGULARS WHEN POSSIBLE.
SECOND, HE HAD SHREDDED THE IMPELLER AND PIECES WERE STUCK IN THE OIL COOLER , THE OIL COOLER HAD TO BE REMOVED FROM THE BOAT AND RODDED OUT. AS HE HAD LOST AN IMPELLER A FEW MONTHS BACK HE ASKED THAT WE INSPECT THE BOAT AND DO WHATEVER IT TAKES TO KEEP IT FROM HAPPENING AGAIN. UPON INSPECTION THE ONLY THING THAT WASN'T RIGHT BUT NEVER CAUSED THE PREVIOUS TWO OWNERS A PROBLEM,IS THE FACTORY INSTALLED SEA STRAINER WAS MOUNTED APPROX. 1ft ABOVE THE WATER LINE. THIS WOULD CAUSE THE IMPELLER TO RUN DRY FOR APERIOD OF TIME ON INITIAL START UP.ESPECIALLY SINCE BEING OUT OF STATE THE BOAT IS RUN MAYBE ONCE A MONTH THE STRAINER MAY HAVE BEEN DRYING OUT. SO IT WAS RELOCATED TO BELOW WATER LINE IN FRONT OF MOTOR.
THIRD, APPROX. AN HOUR IN TO WORKING ON THE BOAT HIS WIFE CAME INTO THE SHOP AND PULLED ITEMS OUT OF THE BOAT , AND TALKED TO MY TECH , WHO EXPLAINED EVERYTHING WE WERE DOING TO HER.
AT APPROX. 3:30 MR.99SHOCKWAVE CAME INTO THE SHOP BY HIS BOAT WHERE MY TECH AND I SHOWED HIM WHAT HAPPENED , WHAT WE WERE DOING TO REMEDY HIS PROBLEM. WHILE SHOWING HIM HE ASKED HOW MUCH ARE WE LOOKING AT? I SAID I'D GO UP FRONT AND FIGURE IT OUT HE SAID NO JUST A BALL PARK IDEA , REPLY WAS ABOUT $550.HE SAID WOW WELL IF IT TAKES CARE OF THE PROBLEM.(WHICH HE IS STILL A PAYING CUSTOMER ITS GUARANTEED TO.) AT THIS TIME HE WAS INFORMED IT MAY NOT MAKE IT THAT DAY. I SAID I'D HAVE IT BY 10:00 THE NEXT DAY. AS IT TURNED OUT MY TECH CAME IN EARLY TO FINISH HIS BOAT AND THE ONES WE WERE BEHIND ON DUE TO THIS BOAT.THE BOAT WAS FINISHED AT 8:30 THE NEXT MORNING.
THE NEXT MORNING MR 99SHOCKWAVE AND MR. FRIEND PULLED UP IN MY LOT HOOKED UP TO HIS BOAT BEFORE COMING INTO THE OFFICE. THIS AT THIS POINT IS NO BIG DEAL AS SOME PEOPLE DO HOOK UP BEFORE COMING IN.
WHEN HE CAME IN I GAVE HIM THE BILL , WHICH HE REPLIED HE WASN'T GOING TO PAY. I TRIED TALKING TO HIM ABOUT IT, BUT HE WAS INSISTANT THAT HE WASN'T PAYING. AT THAT POINT HE WALKED OUT OF THE OFFICE TO HIS VEHICLE.I WENT OUT AND PULLED MY TRUCK IN FRONT OF HIM TO KEEP HIM FROM LEAVING AND AT THAT POINT CALLED THE POLICE.
BEING THE TYPE OF PERSON HE IS HE DOESN'T REALIZE I SAVED HIM FROM BEING ARRESTED , IF HE LEFT THE PROPERTY IT WOULD BE THEFT OF SERVICES. ALL HIS PEOPLE THAT WERE UP WOULD BE WAITING AT THE CITY JAIL FOR HIM.
POINT IS MR99SHOCKWAVE KNEW WHAT WAS GOING ON, WHAT THE CHARGES WERE , AND AS FAR AS TIME FRAME WAS PRETTY GOOD FOR NOT HAVING AN APPOINTMENT.
GARY'S AUTO MARINE AND RV SERVICE INC. HAS BEEN A VERY CUSTOMER ORIENTED BUSINESS FOR 18 YEARS NOW. AS WE ALWAYS STRIVE TO PLEASE ALL IT DOESN'T ALWAYS HAPPEN , BUT IM ALWAYS WILLING TO DISCUSS AND RECTIFY ANY SITUATION THAT COMES UP. BUT IN ANY SITUATION THERE IS ALWAYS TWO SIDES TO THE STORY.
YES I MADE HIM PAY CASH. I WAS THREATENED BY THIS PERSON DID NOT APRECIATE HIS ATTITUDE, AND LANGUAGE IN FRONT OF MY DAUGHTER AND OTHER CUSTOMERS. THE POLICE OFFICER ADVISED IT BE A GOOD IDEA.
THANK YOU TO ALL MY LOYAL CUSTOMERS AND CONCERNED
NON-CUSTOMERS THAT INFORMED ME ABOUT THIS FORUM ABUSE.

Jordy
07-17-2005, 01:40 PM
http://c3p0.sas.upenn.edu/albertm/images/ownd/capslock.gif
:D :D :D

RP1
07-17-2005, 02:55 PM
http://c3p0.sas.upenn.edu/albertm/images/ownd/capslock.gif
:D :D :D
Yes, Please!

phebus
07-17-2005, 03:13 PM
Once again, the lynch mob mentality of the boards comes out. Now, the other side has spoken (not allways the case, it's nice to see both sides). Now trying to find the middle ground, and possibly the truth. It seems like when issues like this come up, both sides were somewhat at fault, and could have handled the situation better.

Sigus
07-17-2005, 03:17 PM
There are many places in Havasu to get service on a boat, but living in Havasu and hearing about, and having dealt with a few of them, I highly recommend Gaines marine (soon to be Shimmer Marine), they are as honest and nice as you'll find anywhere, if they replace any parts or need to do anything extra you will get a call and all old parts will be kept for your inspection. Mike and Anita are just regular people doing a great job, and they just dig boats. They are also the Playcraft dealer in Havasu.
I can't echo this lowd enough, Mike and Anita are the best. They will help you any way they can. Plus Anita is a friggin hotty. Sorry Mike couldn't resist.

Jordy
07-17-2005, 03:20 PM
Once again, the lynch mob mentality of the boards comes out.
C'mon, surely you're exagerating. I've never seen that type of behavior before around here. :D :D :D

sleekcraft137
07-17-2005, 04:42 PM
This guy's name wouldn't happen to be Gary Wilson would it???

2Driver
07-17-2005, 06:29 PM
Nobody told me we had a commuincation problem :D

CB1
07-17-2005, 09:16 PM
Comon, You have ripped people off from time to time in the past.. Just because you have been in business for 18 years dosent mean you can't be out of business in 1 year. Treat people as you would like to be treated and straighten out the business. This board goes along way and trying to call the Hot boat mediator to take the post off the board is not good. Take you lumps fix the problem, and good luck and OHHH can I have my money back from three years ago. Thanks in advance....

Essex29
07-17-2005, 09:27 PM
Absolute Speed and Marine
1633 Industrial Boulevard, Lake Havasu City, AZ 86403
(928) 855-2252
.....nuff said ;)

Cole Sanger
07-18-2005, 04:16 AM
My cousin used to work for him. He was doing some crazy deals, ripping people off. Then my cousin would have to tell the customers the truth. He hated it. I went there to get some work there and he ripped me off. Shmuck!

99shockwave
07-18-2005, 05:43 AM
If being treated the way I was is a reward for being a loyal customer, I am concerned for the person who wanders in off the street. By the way, I was very respectful of the fact that there was a young lady in the office (did not know till later it was Gary's daughter), no offensive language or raised voices from me. Maybe the fact a young lady was there was a blessing in disguise. Look, the situation got out of hand. I tried to discuss the bill rationally but know realize that was a mistake. The purpose of this post is to inform others in the event they run into a similar situation. I believe all shop owners need to make a living, and many are very successful by being up front with "existing customers". And while "extra" work does happen from time to time, they fully discuss this with their customers before proceeding to avoid any sticker shock when the bill arrives. Beyond that, they are willing to discuss the charges in a professional way. Thanks to all who gave other companies as referrals.

99shockwave
07-18-2005, 05:48 AM
Note to 1GLF. If you want to discuss the situation, you have my telephone number. I am willing to discuss a remedy before moving forward as I told you I was.

JustDawn
07-18-2005, 08:07 AM
....Absolute Marine.
End of worries :cool:

100+Placecraft
07-18-2005, 08:50 AM
1GLF
Do you have a reply to my situation that I had last year? My bill just about doubled and you did'nt even call me to warn me when I got there.

WaterBox
07-18-2005, 09:04 AM
They got me once also, Took my boat in to have the gimball bearing and bellows replaced, The next morning when I went out in the grauge to hook up to go to the lake I noticed a big oil spot on the floor under the drive, checking it out I found that the oil line comming from the res. bottle had been knocked off. Took it back down there and showed them, they said they wouldn't be able to get to it today, and there would be a R&R charge. So I took it home and fixed it myself.

Essex29
07-18-2005, 09:18 AM
All of these people can't be wrong. With all of the options we have now,how is this place still in business?

CB1
07-18-2005, 09:54 AM
99 Shockwave if you need anything let me know... I/ll go to the box with you...

WaterBox
07-18-2005, 10:31 AM
i would have stoped payment or talked to the cc comp,then let him call me :wink:
I had already paid him in cash the day before when I picked up the boat.

Lake Lover
07-18-2005, 11:01 AM
99SHOCKWAVE LEFT OUT A FEW IMPORTANT FACTS.
FIRST , BEING A REGULAR CUSTOMER AND HAVING A BUNCH OF PEOPLE VISITING,AND NOT HAVING AN APPOINTMENT, HE WAS PUT IN RIGHT AWAY TO HELP HIM OUT.CURRENTLY WE ARE BOOKING APPROX. 1 WEEK AHEAD.AS WE DO FOR ANY OF OUR REGULARS WHEN POSSIBLE.
SECOND, HE HAD SHREDDED THE IMPELLER AND PIECES WERE STUCK IN THE OIL COOLER , THE OIL COOLER HAD TO BE REMOVED FROM THE BOAT AND RODDED OUT. AS HE HAD LOST AN IMPELLER A FEW MONTHS BACK HE ASKED THAT WE INSPECT THE BOAT AND DO WHATEVER IT TAKES TO KEEP IT FROM HAPPENING AGAIN. UPON INSPECTION THE ONLY THING THAT WASN'T RIGHT BUT NEVER CAUSED THE PREVIOUS TWO OWNERS A PROBLEM,IS THE FACTORY INSTALLED SEA STRAINER WAS MOUNTED APPROX. 1ft ABOVE THE WATER LINE. THIS WOULD CAUSE THE IMPELLER TO RUN DRY FOR APERIOD OF TIME ON INITIAL START UP.ESPECIALLY SINCE BEING OUT OF STATE THE BOAT IS RUN MAYBE ONCE A MONTH THE STRAINER MAY HAVE BEEN DRYING OUT. SO IT WAS RELOCATED TO BELOW WATER LINE IN FRONT OF MOTOR.
THIRD, APPROX. AN HOUR IN TO WORKING ON THE BOAT HIS WIFE CAME INTO THE SHOP AND PULLED ITEMS OUT OF THE BOAT , AND TALKED TO MY TECH , WHO EXPLAINED EVERYTHING WE WERE DOING TO HER.
AT APPROX. 3:30 MR.99SHOCKWAVE CAME INTO THE SHOP BY HIS BOAT WHERE MY TECH AND I SHOWED HIM WHAT HAPPENED , WHAT WE WERE DOING TO REMEDY HIS PROBLEM. WHILE SHOWING HIM HE ASKED HOW MUCH ARE WE LOOKING AT? I SAID I'D GO UP FRONT AND FIGURE IT OUT HE SAID NO JUST A BALL PARK IDEA , REPLY WAS ABOUT $550.HE SAID WOW WELL IF IT TAKES CARE OF THE PROBLEM.(WHICH HE IS STILL A PAYING CUSTOMER ITS GUARANTEED TO.) AT THIS TIME HE WAS INFORMED IT MAY NOT MAKE IT THAT DAY. I SAID I'D HAVE IT BY 10:00 THE NEXT DAY. AS IT TURNED OUT MY TECH CAME IN EARLY TO FINISH HIS BOAT AND THE ONES WE WERE BEHIND ON DUE TO THIS BOAT.THE BOAT WAS FINISHED AT 8:30 THE NEXT MORNING.
THE NEXT MORNING MR 99SHOCKWAVE AND MR. FRIEND PULLED UP IN MY LOT HOOKED UP TO HIS BOAT BEFORE COMING INTO THE OFFICE. THIS AT THIS POINT IS NO BIG DEAL AS SOME PEOPLE DO HOOK UP BEFORE COMING IN.
WHEN HE CAME IN I GAVE HIM THE BILL , WHICH HE REPLIED HE WASN'T GOING TO PAY. I TRIED TALKING TO HIM ABOUT IT, BUT HE WAS INSISTANT THAT HE WASN'T PAYING. AT THAT POINT HE WALKED OUT OF THE OFFICE TO HIS VEHICLE.I WENT OUT AND PULLED MY TRUCK IN FRONT OF HIM TO KEEP HIM FROM LEAVING AND AT THAT POINT CALLED THE POLICE.
BEING THE TYPE OF PERSON HE IS HE DOESN'T REALIZE I SAVED HIM FROM BEING ARRESTED , IF HE LEFT THE PROPERTY IT WOULD BE THEFT OF SERVICES. ALL HIS PEOPLE THAT WERE UP WOULD BE WAITING AT THE CITY JAIL FOR HIM.
POINT IS MR99SHOCKWAVE KNEW WHAT WAS GOING ON, WHAT THE CHARGES WERE , AND AS FAR AS TIME FRAME WAS PRETTY GOOD FOR NOT HAVING AN APPOINTMENT.
GARY'S AUTO MARINE AND RV SERVICE INC. HAS BEEN A VERY CUSTOMER ORIENTED BUSINESS FOR 18 YEARS NOW. AS WE ALWAYS STRIVE TO PLEASE ALL IT DOESN'T ALWAYS HAPPEN , BUT IM ALWAYS WILLING TO DISCUSS AND RECTIFY ANY SITUATION THAT COMES UP. BUT IN ANY SITUATION THERE IS ALWAYS TWO SIDES TO THE STORY.
YES I MADE HIM PAY CASH. I WAS THREATENED BY THIS PERSON DID NOT APRECIATE HIS ATTITUDE, AND LANGUAGE IN FRONT OF MY DAUGHTER AND OTHER CUSTOMERS. THE POLICE OFFICER ADVISED IT BE A GOOD IDEA.
THANK YOU TO ALL MY LOYAL CUSTOMERS AND CONCERNED
NON-CUSTOMERS THAT INFORMED ME ABOUT THIS FORUM ABUSE.
Hey 1GLF -
How do you explain so many other postings from previous customers all having similiar stories of being taken advantage of by you? I find it funny that more than one person stated that you physically blocked them in making it impossible for them to leave. I was a customer of yours and I have never questioned it when (on a regular basis) my final bill exceeded your original quotes. (And I do have to say - that you NEVER called and asked for my ok to do the extra work - you would just tell me about it when you were done) Now that I understand that this appears to be the way you do business - I will not be returning. I applaud 99Shockwave for finally bringing this out in the open and getting so many others to share their similiar experiences. I am sure there are many others, like me who won't wait until it happens to us and start using other, more reputable shops. I hope that the couple hundred $$ that you chose to argue about were worth the thousands $$ plus you are going to lose in future business. Might I suggest to you, try and be a little more upfront with your customers. (If you have any left)

lalhc
07-18-2005, 11:20 AM
This guy probably stays in business by taking care of all the locals, which provide him referrals for all the non-full time Havasu residents.

CB1
07-18-2005, 12:45 PM
You can't arrest someone for theft of services, Its called a civil matter and you know that. That is why you only take cash so that people can't fight it. And you know for sure that people from California are not going to take you to civil court because they would all have to drive into Havasu and loose a day of work to go to court. :angry2: :hammer2: :burningm: :eat:

waterdog
07-18-2005, 01:25 PM
Great information. I won't be using them for any of my boat service.
I've used Gaines Marine and they producted good service and great "Customer Satisfaction". Something that Gary's Marine should employe and practice.

Third Alarm
07-18-2005, 02:18 PM
Yes, I'm the friend that was there with 99 Shockwave. At NO time did 99 Shockwave ever fly off the the handle and start useing fowel language. You were the one who had the crossed arms and puffed up chest that stormed out of the shop and slamed the door, NOT 99 Shockwave. When the police officer arrived he asked us if we had been yelling or using fowel language during the dispute over the bill and we said NO. After the police officer had interviewed you he came back out and told us the he had called a code 4 because you had agreed that there was no threats, yelling or fowel langauge fom 99 Shockwave.
99 Shockwave also never said that he wouldn't pay the bill but he didn't want to pay your EXTRA UP FEE. He did say that he had no problem in paying you an extra $100 dollars for your effort.
If you are such and great customer service shop then why has the same boat gone through 3 water impellors in 10 months of time, and being the out of stater not using it for the last 6 months prior to this. Why wasn't this problem caught the first time and for sure the second time 4 weeks later.
At the bottom of you reciept it states that there is a 90 day warrenty, What happened to that?
And Why are there so many ex-customers coming out now and saying they have had the same type of dealings with you?
No, this is not a linch mob here but people need to be very carefull in who they can trust to do there work.
It sounds like people realy trust and like many other companies other than yours.
You also stated that here in AZ we don't need to give people notification on any extra work that you deamed needing repaire unlike CA. Now I've done some homework and have found that to be a total lie.
Yes you are right there are two sides two every story!!! :eek:

SDLifesaver
07-19-2005, 05:06 AM
I have used Gary's several times and never had any problems. I used them this last week and they fixed the boat the same day I dropped it off like Gary said he would. I agree that their prices seem high but I also have paid less for alot less. I was recommended to Gary's by our boat builder for any service needed including warranty work the builder would pay for. So far no problems with Gary's and I have sent many friends there. My .02 Nick

CB1
07-19-2005, 08:44 AM
Alright how much is Gary paying you....