PDA

View Full Version : Trident goes bigtime

KACHINA KEN
05-02-2006, 10:12 PM
Well at least Powerboat finally ran a story on them on page 36 and 38 of this months issue. Congrats on breaking down another wall Wes.

ROZ
05-02-2006, 10:27 PM
Hey Ken, what's it say ?

KACHINA KEN
05-02-2006, 10:30 PM
Hey Ken, what's it say ?
dunno, I just see purdy pictures. :p

KACHINA KEN
05-02-2006, 10:34 PM
dunno, I'm a monthly guy.

ROZ
05-02-2006, 10:36 PM
dunno, I'm a monthly guy.
I hope JB in socal don't see this :rolleyes:

ROZ
05-02-2006, 10:39 PM
Can you scan it?

YeLLowBoaT
05-02-2006, 10:44 PM
How fast do you think HB would delete it? :D
whats wrong with posting a scan of a boating magaizne on a boating site... its not like ***boat has a magaizne or anything. :)

KACHINA KEN
05-02-2006, 10:45 PM
How fast do you think HB would delete it? :D
I can do it tomorrow, I'm going to bed now, the Ken is tired. night night.

carreraelite
05-03-2006, 08:41 AM
And his sig. line declined it??

MR HARLEY
05-03-2006, 08:43 AM
Great article and photos of the Revolution!

Mrs. 4-B
05-03-2006, 08:48 AM
I just read this article last night. I wish they had more pictures of the boat. It's an interesting layout. Pricey for a 27'. Can't wait to see it in person in Havi.

Havasu Hangin'
05-03-2006, 08:49 AM
$169K = Big Time

MR HARLEY
05-03-2006, 08:58 AM
I just read this article last night. I wish they had more pictures of the boat. It's an interesting layout. Pricey for a 27'. Can't wait to see it in person in Havi.
I have alot of pics of the Revolution , do you want them,I could email :)

HM
05-03-2006, 08:59 AM
Wes came out to Elsinore last Wednesday and I was there with my 20.5 Campbell.
We both launched at the same time and I gave him a look and it was game on and he wanted a piece of me!!! But, once he heard my boat start up, he never took his off the trailer!!!! And I didn't even have my bimini up! PUZZY!!!!!
Cole from the boards was with me and he flashed his tits at the sausage boat!
:D

Froggystyle
05-03-2006, 09:09 AM
Thanks for the interest everyone.
HM is right. He scared me right back onto the trailer. I didn't want any part of it once he lit it off. Score one for the Campbell... ;)
Look for more editorial here very shortly from some other sources as well. It is good to see the impact the boat is having with people who know the business. The editor of Powerboat said he got three phone calls the first day as we drove it through the channel, so it was pretty tough to ignore at that point. :D
Looks like we are off to the races now folks! The Big Boys and their Toys show in Phoenix scored us a lot of very interested peeps and got the boat out there in front of a lot of people for the first time. The reception was hot for it, and we knew we had a real winner on our hands.
If anyone wants more information or the new brochure we just had printed up (Thanks ScreaminPete!!!!) please drop me a line at wes@tridentboats.com and I will send it right out to you.
Registrations on the website have gone through the roof as well since the article came out. Nothing like a little press to help with the phone situation!
As always, put up a request in the "Tour De Trident" section of the website and we will do our best to let you know when we are coming to your area.
Have a great rest of the week everyone!
Wes

Outnumbered
05-03-2006, 09:21 AM
Congrats Wes. Its gotta feel good to finally be near the point of putting a significant number of these out on the lakes. Can't wait to see some of the other gel schemes you guys come up with. Keep us posted.

HM
05-03-2006, 09:24 AM
Pictures and editorials don't do the Trident justice. That boat is so beautiful in person and looks a lot different than it does in the pictures. Wes was doing some testing and tuning and was on a time budget, but he still let me and Cole drool all over the boat.
I was also glad to find out I was not the only midget on the boards. :D

riverracerx
05-03-2006, 09:25 AM
Congrats Wes. Let us know next time you have the boat out at Havasu!
Chris

DCBDaytona
05-03-2006, 09:29 AM
$169K = Big Time
I agree.

Mrs. 4-B
05-03-2006, 09:33 AM
I have alot of pics of the Revolution , do you want them,I could email :)
Too rich for my blood! Thanks though. I'm sure there will be more articles in the future with more pic's. I'll be watching for 'em.

Froggystyle
05-04-2006, 06:05 PM
Too rich for my blood! Thanks though. I'm sure there will be more articles in the future with more pic's. I'll be watching for 'em.
Keep an eye out! Anytime you see us, flag us down for sure.
Wes

02HoWaRd26
05-04-2006, 06:30 PM
So where are the pics of this thing

Froggystyle
05-04-2006, 06:54 PM
Trying to access my damn server right now...
I will try in the morning. All in all, it was a great first article.

Phat Matt
05-04-2006, 06:59 PM
http://www.tridentboats.com/trident_boats_gallery/d/793-2/High+Interior.jpg
http://www.tridentboats.com/trident_boats_gallery/d/744-2/Money.jpg
http://www.tridentboats.com/trident_boats_gallery/d/764-2/Boulder+Beach.jpg
http://www.tridentboats.com/trident_boats_gallery/d/789-2/Revolution+and+Clouds.jpg

AZJD
05-04-2006, 08:26 PM
Wes came out to Elsinore last Wednesday and I was there with my 20.5 Campbell.
We both launched at the same time and I gave him a look and it was game on and he wanted a piece of me!!! But, once he heard my boat start up, he never took his off the trailer!!!! And I didn't even have my bimini up! PUZZY!!!!!
Cole from the boards was with me and he flashed his tits at the sausage boat!
Ya, but could he flip the switch for the supercharger while doing all that?

havasudream123
05-08-2006, 11:02 AM
Wes was doing some testing and tuning and was on a time budget, but he still let me and Cole drool all over the boat.
[/QUOTE]
Isn't this the same boat I have seen for about a year? How long do they have to test and tune it to get it to run correctly? Is it ever going to be turn key and have fun without problems.

boater012
05-08-2006, 11:35 AM
Wes was doing some testing and tuning and was on a time budget, but he still let me and Cole drool all over the boat.
Isn't this the same boat I have seen for about a year? How long do they have to test and tune it to get it to run correctly? Is it ever going to be turn key and have fun without problems.[/QUOTE]
It took BMW three years to release the new 645/745 series of cars. They have been making cars for 50 or more years. I dont think a year is unreasonable to try and get the bugs out and show the boat while trying to introduce a brand new company making a brand new design to the marketplace!!! Maybe im wrong, I've been wrong before and I'll be wrong again. MY two useless pieces of round copper

havasudream123
05-08-2006, 01:23 PM
I don't mean to bag on Trident, but A new BMW has WAY more engineering. The boat is a hull with components pre designed by many other mfg's installed on it. They didn't have to design the gauges, cables, etc. they just installed them. I am sure boat design is not easy and mean no insult toward trident. But compareing it to BMW design is a far stretch. THe space shuttle is already over 20 years in operation and they still don't have all the bugs out. ;-)

Hallett19
05-08-2006, 02:34 PM
Isn't this the same boat I have seen for about a year? How long do they have to test and tune it to get it to run correctly? Is it ever going to be turn key and have fun without problems.
It took BMW three years to release the new 645/745 series of cars. They have been making cars for 50 or more years. I dont think a year is unreasonable to try and get the bugs out and show the boat while trying to introduce a brand new company making a brand new design to the marketplace!!! Maybe im wrong, I've been wrong before and I'll be wrong again. MY two useless pieces of round copper[/QUOTE]
That, and if anyone knows Wes, they know he wont let a soul touch anything he puts his name on unless it is 100% bulletproof, tried, tested, re-tested and tested again.

havasudream123
05-08-2006, 04:46 PM
The true test comes when customers actually have them and use them. It is almost impossible for BMW, Chevy, Etc. to test them as they will be used in real life with amateurs driving. Thats why there are almost always recalls on new models, no matter how much testing they go through. Come on! Lets get some boats out there and see how they perform in real life, not just tests in magazines given and driven by the builders and their appointed professionals.

Chico&Zeus
05-08-2006, 05:12 PM
I think it's a great boat so far, if I were in the market for a deck boat, it would definately be one of my top choices. Continue on the R&D, because no matter how great it is, it can always be improved on....Just ask DCB!!! :rollside:
Here's the article, thanks to: Powerboat Magazine June 2006
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/521Page_36.jpg
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/521Page_38.jpg

BoaterX
05-08-2006, 06:00 PM
I don't mean to bag on Trident, but A new BMW has WAY more engineering. The boat is a hull with components pre designed by many other mfg's installed on it. They didn't have to design the gauges, cables, etc. they just installed them. I am sure boat design is not easy and mean no insult toward trident. But compareing it to BMW design is a far stretch. THe space shuttle is already over 20 years in operation and they still don't have all the bugs out. ;-)
Ok havasudream123. Lets hear it, who are you cheerleading for?
The boat has truly unique hardware that's not found on any other boat. The fact that they sub out the work for the billet is irrelevant. They are embarking on new things like lighter weight boats using some new techniques instead of the same old way for 30 years. Give them credit for that at least!
They are selling a new product using newer methods than the rets of the industry, not a Name!

Froggystyle
05-09-2006, 09:37 AM
Well, so far nearly a year...
That year has gotten us two generations of drives. The first a wet-sump system that was not up to the job, the second, after a six month hiatus was a dry sump system that is the balls... Once the drive situation was sorted out, we finished up the motor development in earnest and have hit a couple of snags. Keep in mind, these are snags my clients will never have to hit... Plumbing lessons, three different types of helms (one a full hydraulic...) several different iterations of steering mechanisms, intake and inlet work for the jets, transom adapters, interior function, four different subwoofer enclosures, two helms, four helm seats, 14 individual pieces of billet developed, installed and removed not to be used again, then redesigned... 14 more pieces of billet developed, installed and tested... one whole batch of powdercoat removed, stripped and re-coated after extensive testing failed some coatings, a Marine Machine throttle/shifter setup scrapped in favor of a built-from-scratch item we construct in house that is not only better performing, but twice as pretty as the MM unit, etc... you get the picture.
The boat hit the water for the first time with a partial interior on Labor Day of last year. Audio system, helm seat, controls, flooring, hatch, helm, switch panel, front ramp and trailer have all been re-developed since then. We are finally at a point where I consider the boat "finished". Anyone who knows me knows that this only means that it is finished for now, but at long last it works the way I want it to. We will have different things available as new model years come out, and we will be constantly developing.
I take your criticism as constructive, but think you are missing the big picture. When the first production Revolution hits the water in the hands of a client, we will be setting our bar. That will be what we are judged upon for a very long time. Our commitment to that client has to be complete, and an indicator of the service people will come to expect from a premium brand such as ours.
Development takes time, and while I have been working very hard to get boats on the water for this year, we have not been using this as an excuse to rush anything. The boat is now finished, completely amazing and to a large degree de-bugged. I have several very excited first clients waiting for their boats now, and soon they will get to see what all the waiting has been for, and decide themselves whether or not it was worth it.
Thanks for all of the interest, as always. We are looking hugely forward to showing everyone what all the fuss is about.
Regards,
Wes Inskeep

Hardly Satisfied
05-09-2006, 09:48 AM
Congrats Wes , Nice write up in powerboat :boxed: Meet you in havasu about a month or so ago in the Channel . Good luck at the Phoenix show :boxed:

Cole Trickle
05-09-2006, 09:57 AM
Congrats!!
Nice little spread to get things rolling for ya. :)

RiverDave
05-09-2006, 10:42 AM
Congragulations on the article Wes!
RD

USCFAN
05-09-2006, 11:06 AM
Looks good. Can't wait to see it on the water.

havasudream123
05-09-2006, 12:09 PM
Cheering?? I'm not cheering for anybody. I'm just getting familar with these boards. There has been a lot written about Trident. The owner has almost 6,000 posts and many of the trident threads have an extreme amount of posts from many other high post individuals. There is just so much talk about something that has yet to be tested by a customer. The boat looks fantastic, great equipt. as standard, beautiful graphics, nice interior layout, front and rear entry but the jets scare the s--t out of me. I really want to hear from a guy who bought one and hear what he thinks. I can then ask some questions and not get slanted answers from advertisers, personal friends, well wishers, family or the owner of the company. I know all of the Trident friends will think I'm trying to cast a shadow on the company, this is not the case. In the short time I have been here I have read thousands of posts and ALL of you bag on jet boats. I used to have a jet, now I bought an I/O, partially because of the info on these boards. Now comes a big giant jet boat? Forgive me for asking questions, but this boat is totally out of the ordinary in the boating world. Everyones advice on these boards is to "read the messages OWNERS OF THE BOAT post about their boats" that's all I'm asking for.

Phat Matt
05-09-2006, 12:42 PM
Everyones advice on these boards is to "read the messages OWNERS OF THE BOAT post about their boats" that's all I'm asking for.
Then you are going to have to wait just a bit. There is only one tested Trident boat owner so far, the owner of the company. :rollside:

cyclone
05-09-2006, 01:01 PM
Cheering?? I'm not cheering for anybody. I'm just getting familar with these boards. There has been a lot written about Trident. The owner has almost 6,000 posts and many of the trident threads have an extreme amount of posts from many other high post individuals. There is just so much talk about something that has yet to be tested by a customer. The boat looks fantastic, great equipt. as standard, beautiful graphics, nice interior layout, front and rear entry but the jets scare the s--t out of me. I really want to hear from a guy who bought one and hear what he thinks. I can then ask some questions and not get slanted answers from advertisers, personal friends, well wishers, family or the owner of the company. I know all of the Trident friends will think I'm trying to cast a shadow on the company, this is not the case. In the short time I have been here I have read thousands of posts and ALL of you bag on jet boats. I used to have a jet, now I bought an I/O, partially because of the info on these boards. Now comes a big giant jet boat? Forgive me for asking questions, but this boat is totally out of the ordinary in the boating world. Everyones advice on these boards is to "read the messages OWNERS OF THE BOAT post about their boats" that's all I'm asking for.
I wondered how long it would be before someone pointed out that among many who frequent the Sandbar, "jet boat" is a bad combination of words. Seems though that the Revolution is ok though.
Anyway,
congratulations Wes. Hope the article got the phones ringing.

RiverDave
05-09-2006, 01:17 PM
Not to shoot down the post, but I can't imagine anyone buying anything for 160+ K, and turning around and saying something bad about it so I would think that review would be kinda "moot" as well.
To agree with you on some level though, I'd be interested in reading ANY review of the boat at this point. I know there's been some people that have been in it.. How did it turn? Accellerate? Top End? etc.. etc.. How would it match up with any other decks with that kind of price tag? I've never been in the boat (other then it floating on a dock once) or I'd put up what I thought of it, but god knows alot of other people have? The only things I know about it from all the reading I've done is that it accelerates like a drag boat, and seems to get on plane without rolling over.. Other then that.. ????
My only real experience with the boat itself was with the Sound System in it, and I'll say the stereo rocks the casbaugh.
RD

Jordy
05-09-2006, 01:21 PM
Keep in mind, if you don't like the jets, you can also order one up with outboards on the back:
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/23DSC01152.JPG
:D :D :D

havasudream123
05-09-2006, 01:27 PM
What do you think the fuel consumption is of this bad boy jet? I had a 20' with a 454 that burned about 60 gallons on a Laughlin to Havasu and Back run (a little playing in the middle). My new 23' with a 496 burned about 35 gallons on the same run last week. Don't give me that "if you can't afford the gas, you can't afford the boat". Many of us could afford the $1,000.00 payment. But if it burns 200-250 gallons on the same run, there is no way I could ever afford $1,000.00 a day, on that run you are forced to fuel up on the water. Hell, I could not afford half that. I would look pretty cool just floatin down the river in that boat :-) Hmmmmm....

havasudream123
05-09-2006, 01:39 PM
What is the best reason to buy a Trident over a comparable sized and priced eliminator, ultra, etc. with an I/O ? What is the reason for the new design and all the time and money that went into this project (which I am sure was a LOTT$$$). Is it better in some way? or just to be different? I just don't get it.

Chico&Zeus
05-09-2006, 02:44 PM
[QUOTE=Jordy]Keep in mind, if you don't like the jets, you can also order one up with outboards on the back:
do they have to come with those gay "XXX" on them??? :)

Froggystyle
05-09-2006, 03:22 PM
What is the best reason to buy a Trident over a comparable sized and priced eliminator, ultra, etc. with an I/O ? What is the reason for the new design and all the time and money that went into this project (which I am sure was a LOTT$$$). Is it better in some way? or just to be different? I just don't get it.
This couldn't have set me up any better than if you were my Mom... ;)
The basic question here is why? Correct? Why spend the time, why spend the money and development and why this over something else... Indulge me.
As a bit of history, I had probably 3,000+ posts on here before I had dreamed of starting a boat company. My reputation on the forums is based on years of input and advice, and only has been recently tainted by the fact that I own a boat company. I chose not to change my name or do two of them or something stupid because I felt strongly that anything I felt comfortable reflecting personally, I would feel comfortable representing my company with. Lastly on that note, I have been a visible and active part of the social community here, and feel like I have a responsibility to the people I have met and become friends with not to let them down. Many people have had a lot of opportunity to actually provide input that I have taken and used to build the boat with, and it was in a large way inspired by different events thrown by members, and how the different boats I have owned performed in them.
We started with a blank piece of paper. A seriously blank piece. Our integrity among other reasons prevented us from "splashing" anyone elses boat design to start our company with. Instead I started with an invoice from a world famous Naval Architect. More than just not wanting to start with anyone elses stuff, I knew that the drive I wanted in my own boat would be the "soon to be released at the time" dual jet drive. I took a ride in one and it re-shaped my ideas of what a drive should be able to do... especially in a large boat. If you want to compare our boat to any other jet you have been in, compare the accelleration and handling to a 16-18' with a single jet and a big motor. Same feel... same acceleration.
The side swimstep was a great idea that shaped the rest of the boat, and came to me while drinking Crazy Fox's in Parker. I saw people clamboring over the sides of their boats to get in and out, tripping on interiors, spilling drinks, dogs having to be lifted over the sides etc... It became obvious immediately to me, and I drew some sketches right there. Funny thing is, the swimstep is on the left side of the boat and not the right because in front of Fox's, the river hits an eddy and goes backwards for a couple hundred feet against that side of the river. Everyone parks with the nose going downriver, or left-side to the dock. At Roadrunner I have to park backwards, which is fine, but funny if you know the details... and what do I care... I go to Fox's!
The front ramp was another idea borne of neccessity. With no good way to get on and off of boats, the deckboat genre was born, and one of the most distinguishing features is the front walk-off bow. Many manufacturers cut a walk-off into an otherwise bowrider boat and call it a deckboat in fact. Some don't even go that far. The problem is, that in order to not take on TONS of water in rough chop, the deck is very high off the waterline. It is usually at the stock parting line of the performance bottom they got the hull from in fact. This makes getting on and off a bitch, and still does little to protect you in heavy seas. Since they are all fixed, they do absolutely nothing to reduce the cabin flow of air at high speeds, so riding in most deckboats is like riding in a wind tunnel above 50. With the drop down ramp on ours, it cuts down on the wind a ton, and provides a much safer ride for kids and dogs, who in no way think that the front is a way to get off the boat with it raised. It also makes a great party spot when tied up in Humbug cove BTW... We included the forward-facing speakers up there to provide entertainment for everyone on the beach as well, so more mellow camping trips can have great sound on the beach while sitting around the campfire or whatever...
The resin infusion construction is merely a matter of me finding out through the gentleman who developed my composite construction schedule (also world famous, did work on the lunar lander among other little projects...) what the very best manufacturing method was for this type of boat. Without question, the resin-infusion is the way of the future, and we have already had some big names try to follow our practices. I get calls from my vendors all the time telling me about who was asking about our stuff... it is very flattering. The result is a boat close to 2,000 pounds lighter than other deckboats in our size range. Way more in some other cases. The E-ticket, notoriously heavy (but phenomenal ride...) is more than double the weight of the Revolution for two more feet of boat, not including our swimstep. It made a lot of sense from a performance standpoint, it makes a lot of sense from a manufacturing standpoint (the cost of the infusion process is more than offset by the materials cost savings for example) and it renders us a boat that is lighter with 14 people in it than an empty Magic 28' deck.
As far as comparably sized and priced... we can only compete on one of those basis points. Size. We are more expensive on our "base" model than anyone else, but deliver way more than twice the boat. No boat in the industry comes with a better, stronger motor in the "base" price. We are providing a 950hp motor as standard. Twin turbocharged, fuel injected, coil-per-cylinder ignition, crank trigger, aluminum heads etc... the list is pretty impressive. All stainless exhaust downpipes with mufflers, 100% stainless steel braided hose and A/N fittings, something many manufacturers will charge a mint for if it is available at all, three batteries standard and a blue-sea switching panel.
The audio system is just plain richter. It is without a doubt the baddest ass audio system available in ANY vehicle standard. Our boats come with it, because I know what you are going to do with the boat, and it will take some stereo... We have thought out the problems, we have worked through them and delivered a turn-key fish killing system. It doesn't have an equal on anything except a pure show-vehicle.
In short, we built the boat from the ground up to provide the market with a distinct upper end. With everyone building the same thing, right down to the bottoms in many cases there has not been a clear choice for the very best. Now there is. Our blue-book value just got released in the new book. As valued by surveyors, bank and insurance underwriters, our value in the book is $169,900. This is phenomenal news for us, as it allows us to value the boat to prospective clients at full price out of the gate.
The various support industries have embraced the Revolution with open arms. Insurance alone is a huge reason to buy one. Our boat, as delivered is catagorized as a "runabout" with Progressive insurance, and not because they are ignorant but rather the opposite. After years of concerted effort we have convinced the agency and it's underwriters that our boat is inherently more stable than a Boston Whaler! Our prismatic co-efficient and different hydrodynamic and hydrostatic ratings make it extremely safe and stable, which combined with a jet drive and the foam core construction earned us a very preferential rating through them. What does it mean for you? Insurance similar to a $170,000 Bayliner Capri if such a thing existed. A good driver should be able to insure for $1500/year with the warrantied 650hp version of the engine.
So to answer your question, it is better in nearly every way. On purpose. I took the best in the industry and used them for a first step on a quest for quality and refinement. We take the slogan "sharpening the cutting edge" seriously, and the boat is a reflection of that in every sense. It is different, and better at the job of being a deckboat than anything on the market, especially for the way that I go boating. Strange how it works out like that.
I look forward to having some customers rave about them as much as you do. Trust me. After four years loosening the lid on this jar of peanut butter, it will be nice to have some finally sticking to the roof of my mouth.
If you have any questions, feel free to ask away. Criticism is what drove the project. RiverDave loves the boat, hated the flat look on our first ramp. I hadn't even thought about it, but he brought up a valid point. It was flat, it didn't match the rest of the boat and it needed changing. We are assembling the new version of the front ramp right this minute. I took visual cues from my Corvette's supercharger cowl induction hood and went from there. We picked up a couple of lines from the boat, added a badge and created a beautiful new hood. The most amazing things come out of criticism....
Enjoy the boat. This is the first of many articles to come, and I feel that we have done a great job setting the bar many pegs higher than anyone has in recent years. Who knows what level of success we will eventually achieve, what is certain is that the impact we have already had on the industry has been felt throughout it, and for that I am honored and proud as hell.
I look forward to your response...
Wes

Froggystyle
05-09-2006, 03:27 PM
To agree with you on some level though, I'd be interested in reading ANY review of the boat at this point. I know there's been some people that have been in it.. How did it turn? Accellerate? Top End? etc.. etc.. How would it match up with any other decks with that kind of price tag?
PM Keith Sayre... he has ridden in it, partied on it, worked on it and sells Conquests... He should be impartial enough for you!

Havasu Hangin'
05-09-2006, 03:33 PM
This couldn't have set me up any better than if you were my Mom... ;)
The basic question here is why? Correct? Why spend the time, why spend the money and development and why this over something else... Indulge me.
As a bit of history, I had probably 3,000+ posts on here before I had dreamed of starting a boat company. My reputation on the forums is based on years of input and advice, and only has been recently tainted by the fact that I own a boat company. I chose not to change my name or do two of them or something stupid because I felt strongly that anything I felt comfortable reflecting personally, I would feel comfortable representing my company with. Lastly on that note, I have been a visible and active part of the social community here, and feel like I have a responsibility to the people I have met and become friends with not to let them down. Many people have had a lot of opportunity to actually provide input that I have taken and used to build the boat with, and it was in a large way inspired by different events thrown by members, and how the different boats I have owned performed in them.
We started with a blank piece of paper. A seriously blank piece. Our integrity among other reasons prevented us from "splashing" anyone elses boat design to start our company with. Instead I started with an invoice from a world famous Naval Architect. More than just not wanting to start with anyone elses stuff, I knew that the drive I wanted in my own boat would be the "soon to be released at the time" dual jet drive. I took a ride in one and it re-shaped my ideas of what a drive should be able to do... especially in a large boat. If you want to compare our boat to any other jet you have been in, compare the accelleration and handling to a 16-18' with a single jet and a big motor. Same feel... same acceleration.
The side swimstep was a great idea that shaped the rest of the boat, and came to me while drinking Crazy Fox's in Parker. I saw people clamboring over the sides of their boats to get in and out, tripping on interiors, spilling drinks, dogs having to be lifted over the sides etc... It became obvious immediately to me, and I drew some sketches right there. Funny thing is, the swimstep is on the left side of the boat and not the right because in front of Fox's, the river hits an eddy and goes backwards for a couple hundred feet against that side of the river. Everyone parks with the nose going downriver, or left-side to the dock. At Roadrunner I have to park backwards, which is fine, but funny if you know the details... and what do I care... I go to Fox's!
The front ramp was another idea borne of neccessity. With no good way to get on and off of boats, the deckboat genre was born, and one of the most distinguishing features is the front walk-off bow. Many manufacturers cut a walk-off into an otherwise bowrider boat and call it a deckboat in fact. Some don't even go that far. The problem is, that in order to not take on TONS of water in rough chop, the deck is very high off the waterline. It is usually at the stock parting line of the performance bottom they got the hull from in fact. This makes getting on and off a bitch, and still does little to protect you in heavy seas. Since they are all fixed, they do absolutely nothing to reduce the cabin flow of air at high speeds, so riding in most deckboats is like riding in a wind tunnel above 50. With the drop down ramp on ours, it cuts down on the wind a ton, and provides a much safer ride for kids and dogs, who in no way think that the front is a way to get off the boat with it raised. It also makes a great party spot when tied up in Humbug cove BTW... We included the forward-facing speakers up there to provide entertainment for everyone on the beach as well, so more mellow camping trips can have great sound on the beach while sitting around the campfire or whatever...
The resin infusion construction is merely a matter of me finding out through the gentleman who developed my composite construction schedule (also world famous, did work on the lunar lander among other little projects...) what the very best manufacturing method was for this type of boat. Without question, the resin-infusion is the way of the future, and we have already had some big names try to follow our practices. I get calls from my vendors all the time telling me about who was asking about our stuff... it is very flattering. The result is a boat close to 2,000 pounds lighter than other deckboats in our size range. Way more in some other cases. The E-ticket, notoriously heavy (but phenomenal ride...) is more than double the weight of the Revolution for two more feet of boat, not including our swimstep. It made a lot of sense from a performance standpoint, it makes a lot of sense from a manufacturing standpoint (the cost of the infusion process is more than offset by the materials cost savings for example) and it renders us a boat that is lighter with 14 people in it than an empty Magic 28' deck.
As far as comparably sized and priced... we can only compete on one of those basis points. Size. We are more expensive on our "base" model than anyone else, but deliver way more than twice the boat. No boat in the industry comes with a better, stronger motor in the "base" price. We are providing a 950hp motor as standard. Twin turbocharged, fuel injected, coil-per-cylinder ignition, crank trigger, aluminum heads etc... the list is pretty impressive. All stainless exhaust downpipes with mufflers, 100% stainless steel braided hose and A/N fittings, something many manufacturers will charge a mint for if it is available at all, three batteries standard and a blue-sea switching panel.
The audio system is just plain richter. It is without a doubt the baddest ass audio system available in ANY vehicle standard. Our boats come with it, because I know what you are going to do with the boat, and it will take some stereo... We have thought out the problems, we have worked through them and delivered a turn-key fish killing system. It doesn't have an equal on anything except a pure show-vehicle.
In short, we built the boat from the ground up to provide the market with a distinct upper end. With everyone building the same thing, right down to the bottoms in many cases there has not been a clear choice for the very best. Now there is. Our blue-book value just got released in the new book. As valued by surveyors, bank and insurance underwriters, our value in the book is $169,900. This is phenomenal news for us, as it allows us to value the boat to prospective clients at full price out of the gate.
The various support industries have embraced the Revolution with open arms. Insurance alone is a huge reason to buy one. Our boat, as delivered is catagorized as a "runabout" with Progressive insurance, and not because they are ignorant but rather the opposite. After years of concerted effort we have convinced the agency and it's underwriters that our boat is inherently more stable than a Boston Whaler! Our prismatic co-efficient and different hydrodynamic and hydrostatic ratings make it extremely safe and stable, which combined with a jet drive and the foam core construction earned us a very preferential rating through them. What does it mean for you? Insurance similar to a $170,000 Bayliner Capri if such a thing existed. A good driver should be able to insure for $1500/year with the warrantied 650hp version of the engine.
So to answer your question, it is better in nearly every way. On purpose. I took the best in the industry and used them for a first step on a quest for quality and refinement. We take the slogan "sharpening the cutting edge" seriously, and the boat is a reflection of that in every sense. It is different, and better at the job of being a deckboat than anything on the market, especially for the way that I go boating. Strange how it works out like that.
I look forward to having some customers rave about them as much as you do. Trust me. After four years loosening the lid on this jar of peanut butter, it will be nice to have some finally sticking to the roof of my mouth.
If you have any questions, feel free to ask away. Criticism is what drove the project. RiverDave loves the boat, hated the flat look on our first ramp. I hadn't even thought about it, but he brought up a valid point. It was flat, it didn't match the rest of the boat and it needed changing. We are assembling the new version of the front ramp right this minute. I took visual cues from my Corvette's supercharger cowl induction hood and went from there. We picked up a couple of lines from the boat, added a badge and created a beautiful new hood. The most amazing things come out of criticism....
Enjoy the boat. This is the first of many articles to come, and I feel that we have done a great job setting the bar many pegs higher than anyone has in recent years. Who knows what level of success we will eventually achieve, what is certain is that the impact we have already had on the industry has been felt throughout it, and for that I am honored and proud as hell.
I look forward to your response...
Wes
Is that a Sea Doo boat?

Froggystyle
05-09-2006, 03:36 PM
Is that a Sea Doo boat?
Yes.... yes it is.

Havasu Hangin'
05-09-2006, 03:38 PM
Yes.... yes it is.
Did you splash their graphics?

BajaMike
05-09-2006, 03:41 PM
Keep in mind, if you don't like the jets, you can also order one up with outboards on the back:
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/23DSC01152.JPG
:D :D :D
Or one like in the picture above with jets and outboards....:D:D
:rollside: :) :rollside: :)

havasudream123
05-09-2006, 03:55 PM
Hey Froggy, thanks for the answer. I see that the boat has been well thought out, it's everything a boater could want. Every aspect has been thought about, considered and addressed in detail. You have put much time in the practical use of the boat to make it a very easy to have fun in boat. The only question (one of) I have is why did you not make the baddest boat on the planet available in an I/O. The way the boat is designed is already different than all others. Wouldn't an I/O offering have opened more market share?

Froggystyle
05-09-2006, 04:39 PM
The only question (one of) I have is why did you not make the baddest boat on the planet available in an I/O. The way the boat is designed is already different than all others. Wouldn't an I/O offering have opened more market share?
It is available as an I/O. I would say that of the available drives that is the least desirable, as would everyone who has ridden in it, but it is certainly available. Pat Weissmann is standing by for the first order from me, and he has the only outdrive I would ever bolt onto my own boat.
Lower horsepower options could be available with Merc power. I think you would lose a lot of bling, lose a lot of performance and it would end up costing nearly the same. You would lose all of the braided lines, lose the stainless exhaust, turbos etc... I have no doubt in my mind that we would have the fastest 496HO powered deckboat by a lot though, as well as the quickest. To me though, that isn't enough. It wouldn't perform like a Revolution, so I would do it only if I just couldn't find enough of a market for the base model.
As for opening up the market, I have sold everything I can build for the next four months. Once they hit the water, I have no doubt in my mind will will be talking about 2007 deliveries very soon. If I can sell all I can build, I have as open a market as I need. If I sold 50 boats tomorrow, it could be the single worst thing to happen to me. I would have no way to project the waiting times, or the increases in efficiency and I would only stand to have 40 or so pissed off people waiting for boats for better than a year.
We are priced very well considering the whole package. Above all, the boat is "worth every penny" which when it is all said and done drives the real value of the boat, which is obviously what people will pay for it.
Thanks again for the questions and the interest. I have no doubt you would be hugely impressed if you came down and took a look for yourself.
Regards,
Wes

BoaterX
05-11-2006, 04:14 PM
I never take words at face value, I'm a skeptic. Anyway, this whole process Vacuum Infusion process you talk about has got me going and I started to do my own research. I found an interesting article which visits the process and benefits...This Article which is based on research a builder who has looked into the infusion process and the benefits of the process. (http://www.parkislemarine.com/pdf/infusion.pdf)
The fibre in a composite laminate provides the strength so the higher ratio, with complete saturation of resin, ensures a stronger product. Too much resin, on the other hand, reduces the strength of the laminate. In a cored laminate infusion there’s the added benefit of about a 50% weight reduction in the finished product. The finished laminate produced by infusion, cored or otherwise, clearly meets the demand for quality workmanship that is integral to custom boat building.
If I understand this correctly, any builder can use his same molds and designs and just start this new process to make their boats 50% lighter. Wow, how long before that happens?
I guess I could afford an extra $40k in boat instead of buying a diesel truck to tow the bigger boat..? Huh.....that is something.