PDA

View Full Version : Cool Hotels in NYC?

mbrown2
07-16-2005, 09:23 AM
Just booked a couple tickets to see Social Distortion in NYC (new Nokia Theatre) for October. Anybody have any ideas for cool hotels to stay at near Timesquare or other good spots? The Theater is near Timesquare...be there for 5 days.....1st time there so I am clueless...
Also, it is the wife's 1st time there and we are going with about 6-8 friends, what places do I absolutely need to see?
Thanks in advance :D

CandyA$$
07-16-2005, 09:24 AM
Hard Rock Cafe!
I hear it is the best.
Maybe china town

riverroyal
07-16-2005, 09:40 AM
for a concert!,,better start priming your liver now

syke-o
07-16-2005, 09:44 AM
the plaza hotel i hear is pretty nice..

mbrown2
07-16-2005, 09:50 AM
for a concert!,,better start priming your liver now
I can't wait...been wanting to go NYC, so Social D being one of the 1st bands to play in the new Nokia theatre kind of tipped the scales...should be off the chain with the crew I am rolling with... :)

Jinga
07-16-2005, 09:58 AM
I would highly recommend the PLAZA HOTEL!!!
The penthouse suite is especially nice :cool:

NoCal NoBoat
07-16-2005, 10:08 AM
We visit every summer. Wife was born and raised in Harlem and the Bronx, mother-in-law now lives on Lower East Side.
Staying with family, I don't have a specific hotel to recommend to you. In Times Square, the Marriott Marquis is big, and centrally located.
If you and your crew are into sightseeing, the Circle Line boat tour was a well-spent 3 - 4 hours for us. You completely circumnavigate Manhattan
on the East, Harlem, and Hudson Rivers. You pass under all the bridges, and see NYC from from the other perspective. Might be a little cooler in October, but you can sit inside. I seem to recall that beer is available...
I've visited Elllis Island three times now, and it's still my favorite place to visit. Much more than a museum. I stand in the great room and think about my great-grandmother processing through there in 1901. If you, or your crew, had family immigrate through EI, I would rate it a must-see.
While in Lower Manhattan, you may want to visit the Ground Zero site.
My daughter is always with us, so we always hit the Museum Mile. It runs along Central Park, so be sure to check out the Park, too.
NYC lives up to its billing. It's fun just to walk around and recognize all the stuff you've seen in movies and on TV. I remember one morning we walked down 2nd Avenue, past the original Coyote Ugly bar, to see the site of the old
Fillmore East. Lots of action across the street - they were shooting NYPD Blue, and it seemed like the whole cast was involved.

Bryan Rose
07-16-2005, 10:16 AM
Used to live in SOHO.... My personal favorite is Sofitel near penn station. Great staff and reasonable price. Very hip hotel , look it up!
Bryan

Jinga
07-16-2005, 10:19 AM
What about the Plaza Hotel. Reasonably priced!

mbrown2
07-16-2005, 10:20 AM
We visit every summer. Wife was born and raised in Harlem and the Bronx, mother-in-law now lives on Lower East Side.
Staying with family, I don't have a specific hotel to recommend to you. In Times Square, the Marriott Marquis is big, and centrally located.
If you and your crew are into sightseeing, the Circle Line boat tour was a well-spent 3 - 4 hours for us. You completely circumnavigate Manhattan
on the East, Harlem, and Hudson Rivers. You pass under all the bridges, and see NYC from from the other perspective. Might be a little cooler in October, but you can sit inside. I seem to recall that beer is available...
I've visited Elllis Island three times now, and it's still my favorite place to visit. Much more than a museum. I stand in the great room and think about my great-grandmother processing through there in 1901. If you, or your crew, had family immigrate through EI, I would rate it a must-see.
While in Lower Manhattan, you may want to visit the Ground Zero site.
My daughter is always with us, so we always hit the Museum Mile. It runs along Central Park, so be sure to check out the Park, too.
NYC lives up to its billing. It's fun just to walk around and recognize all the stuff you've seen in movies and on TV. I remember one morning we walked down 2nd Avenue, past the original Coyote Ugly bar, to see the site of the old
Fillmore East. Lots of action across the street - they were shooting NYPD Blue, and it seemed like the whole cast was involved.
Wow...thanks; that's really helpful...

TJS
07-16-2005, 10:22 AM
I am a 45 min. train ride away from NYC. I stayed at the Double Tree in Times Square. It was great. My G/F and I took the senic double decker bus ride and that was great (lots of scenic stuff and history). The guide was great. We went in early October too. It was cold and windy so bring some warm clothes if you are going on a boat or the bus tour.
We go into the City a lot. Have Fun.
T.J.

totenhosen
07-16-2005, 11:32 AM
Used to live in SOHO.... My personal favorite is Sofitel near penn station. Great staff and reasonable price. Very hip hotel , look it up!
Bryan
I 2nd the Sofitel!!!

rvrhlic
07-16-2005, 12:53 PM
The W, definitely, the W in Times Square.

Budget Baller
07-16-2005, 01:35 PM
Check out the Paramount Hotel. It is on either 42nd or 46th street real close to Times Square. Great bar downstairs too. Real small and very cool. If you need more info let me know. I have a ton of suppliers there that can get you anything you need.

boxscore
07-16-2005, 04:18 PM
Mike... you're in for a real treat... NYC is awesome.

rollin24/7
07-17-2005, 12:10 PM
Don't know what your budget it but I would recommend the Marriot Marquise. It is smack dab in the middle of Times Square and a nice hotel. Don't eat at the hotels, they are WAY OVER PRICED!! Go to the little local joints for good and reasonably priced food. As far as places you should go....go to a bar called Chumleys in Greenich Village. It's Firefighter owned and a lot of history...you'll have to ask for directions since it's kind of a local hangout.