PDA

View Full Version : Raylar Kit for 496HO??

Keith E. Sayre
07-16-2005, 11:56 AM
I know that there has been a couple of threads on the new Raylar package for 496HO's but it didn't seen like real owners of these packages were responding. Now, a friend of mine is seriously considering puchasing one.
I'm hoping that someone or someones with actual knowledge can say what
their thoughts are on this system. Thanks.
Keith Sayre
Conquest Boats

Blacksheep
07-16-2005, 12:00 PM
Talk with Shadow...He had a kit installed on a 27 Shadow and loves it. I think he is seeing a constant 80 mph with the new package.

phebus
07-16-2005, 01:46 PM
Shadow seems like the only one carrying the torch on the upgrade. Everyone else that has had them installed has gotten real quiet. I wish more information was coming out on the upgrade.

dicudmore
07-16-2005, 01:47 PM
I think they are having teething problems...
However, check with Darrell at Bradley Ford... His seems to be running solid. :idea:

Not So Fast
07-16-2005, 02:42 PM
I know that there has been a couple of threads on the new Raylar package for 496HO's but it didn't seen like real owners of these packages were responding. Now, a friend of mine is seriously considering puchasing one.
I'm hoping that someone or someones with actual knowledge can say what
their thoughts are on this system. Thanks.
Keith Sayre
Conquest Boats
Roger that Keith, all of a sudden it's quiet ecxept for the Raylar twins thread which do look awesome. Keep us up to date, PLEASE :rolleyes: NSF

Raylar
07-17-2005, 10:53 AM
Kieth:
Call me monday at (866-494-8181) and I give you phone numbers of many boaters who are running our kits. A lot of them just don't use the boards. We have a lot of happy customers who will set your friends mind at ease.
Ray @ Raylar

Escape Velocity
07-19-2005, 05:57 PM
I've posted my experience with Raylar's HO600 (BigPower 106 kit) on OSO. I'm copying some of it here with the pictures:
Raylar wrote:
David:
Thank you for your good words. It always makes us feel great when customers get excited about the results of our kits. I got my copy of the dyno sheet and the numbers are again impressive as we have seen from two other independant dyno evaluations. The torque is probably the most incredible item. When torque from about 2000rpms up to over 5000 rpms averages more than 550 ft./lbs and stays over 550 all the way to 5000rpms., the boat is going to run, torque does the work and a torque band like this is just like a diesel, nice and flat except its still flat a 5150rpms!! Wiat til that "toy" hits the water! That will be equally impressive. We just finished the dyno runs on two of our new HO600 496 cu/in. Mercury motors we built for a customers new 32 footer. They made 607HP at 5100rpms at the revlimiter and 640ft/lbs of torque at 4200 rpms with torque again staying over 630 ft./lbs all the way to 5100rpms!!The printout shows the horsepower still climbing at 5100 so I am sure at lets say 5400 rpms this motor will probably be over 625HP based on the still climbing line of the power at 5100rpms. This was also done on the stock Mercury ECM!! with our new piggyback programmer. A Michigander on these boards will have his HO600 closer to dial in this weekend and we expect pretty awesome results based on our preliminary testing earlier this month a Lake Havasu. I don't want to steal any of his thunder, cause I know he will be really excited to post his results when we get his boat dialed in. You probably know the boat it was in the shop with yours. In any event congratulations on your results I will be waiting to hear your in the water results! Should be great!!
We'll keep massaging the 496 and see where we can get!
Cheers!
Ray @ Raylar
I wrote:
Modern Marine's other Raylar upgrade with the 106 kit hit the water over the July 4th holiday in a Velocity VR1. This is the Michigander Ray referenced earlier. Last year the boat could barely hit the rev limiter with a labbed 26" Bravo, 1 person in the boat, a half tank of gas, and the tabs and trim up for speed. This year five adults with all their gear and a cooler, plus a full tank of gas, running a 28" labbed Bravo quickly ran into the rev limiter with throttle and trim left to go. That's also with Gibson bullet transom mount mufflers.
This kit required using Raylar's "ebox" connected to the stock computer, and replacing the stock fuel pump/filter system with an Aeromotive pump and 1/2" fuel lines into and out of the fuel/water separator. The engine also uses the 14 quart Dooley oil pan and Hardin oil cooler/thermostat. The engine looks as great as it runs! It's like you hit nitrous once you get above 3500 rpm. It's amazing to be zipping along at 4500 rpm and hit the throttle and have instant acceleration left. Getting rid of the stock rev limiter will be another great improvement.
Raylar wrote:
Re: Raylar Results
I really have to say that Randy (owner)and Jeff of Modern Marine our Michigan dealer really did an awesome job of building and rigging the "Red Monsta" HO600 496(previous 425hp 496HO) in Randy's "sic" "Escape Velocity!" Its so rewarding to know that all of the design and development that Larry and I have sweated over the last three years is continuing to bring the best compliment a high performance development company like us can have, "A Big Grin on the Owners face!"What Randy now has is an honest 600HP EFI 496 cubic inch motor with awesome torque and the reliability of our forged internals. It has the system secrets and efficiency of our kit parts that produce a motor that will idle at 650 rpms, make power and rev well beyond the 5150 rev-limit of the stock Merc ECM and still provide all the wonderful reliability and safe engine control thats provided by the wonderful Mercury "Guardian system" Our new stainless coil relocation brackets, the Jeff's awesome powdercoating and the polished 316 stainless Bassett/Raylar "Tri-Y" headers complete the bling and keep the "Monsta" breathing! Those of you with 496's can now see that your motors can be upgraded to horsepower levels from 525HP to 600HP+ and still run your stock HO ecm and use all of Mercury's great accessories found on the stock 496. The best part of this is that it can be done without supercharging and the big dent in the wallet that has accompanied some aftermarket and "blue" motor offerings. We are hard at work on all kinds of new 496 "goodies" including our 572 cubic inch 700HP+ EFI 496 motor and our new electronic IR efi manifold that will make "Bling Bling" and power like you've never seen!! As I've said before here on OSO, stay tuned more's on the way from Raylar!!
Again to Randy and his "Escape Velocity," Congratulations on a project "Well Done!! Wait till Randy" rev-limiter is reset to 5600 or so rpms!! The Grin will get bigger!!!
Ray & Larry @ Raylar
I wrote:
Ray,
You're right about the big GRIN! The new power has transformed the boat's performance. There are many great things about this new motor to love, but I'd like to re-emphasize two points. First, the idle at 650 rpm, though sounding awesome, is incredibly docile for docking and dealing with the long no-wake areas I have to boat through to get to Lake Michigan. You'd swear that it was a stock motor. Second, the tolerance for 87 & 89 octane gas. I could never consider supercharging because my boat spends much of its summer on the hoist, and I must buy whatever gas is available at the marinas where I boat.
I have peace of mind with the reliability of the engine and drive by having your H beam rods, Mahle forged pistons and roller rocker arms, combined with the upgrade to my Bravo X drive with Max Machine Worx gears, bearings, top cap and prop shaft.
Finally, I truly appreciated the collaboration we enjoyed as we worked through the final implementation of this project. Your accessability and the "adult supervision" you provided was a big source of help and confidence. Any future enhancements to the programming of the computer will be frosting on the cake.
Randy

Escape Velocity
07-19-2005, 06:18 PM
Trying to post pictures with a jpg extension and they won't go through. I've even reduced the resolution to 800 x 600 resolution. It says it is not a valid image. All these pictures post fine on OSO.
Suggestions?

INSman
07-19-2005, 08:50 PM
Trying to post pictures with a jpg extension and they won't go through. I've even reduced the resolution to 800 x 600 resolution. It says it is not a valid image. All these pictures post fine on OSO.
Suggestions?
e-mail them to me and I will post them
bcins@aol.com

INSman
07-20-2005, 04:19 PM
Suggestions?
Here they are !!! :wink:
http://www2.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/2294engine55small.jpg
http://www2.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/2294engine50small.jpg
http://www2.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/2294engine48small.jpg

Escape Velocity
07-20-2005, 04:56 PM
INSman
Thanks for posting my pictures! Could you please pm or email me to explain what you did? I tried to attach another picture after reducing the width to 640 pixels and it still wouldn't accept the attachment.
Thanks,
Randy

INSman
07-20-2005, 05:15 PM
INSman
Thanks for posting my pictures! Could you please pm or email me to explain what you did? I tried to attach another picture after reducing the width to 640 pixels and it still wouldn't accept the attachment.
Thanks,
Randy
Randy, check your PM and call me at home, I will walk you through
Blane

Focker
07-20-2005, 05:22 PM
ill let everyone knoe after this weekend
my raylar package is done and i get it from aarron on thursday

INSman
07-20-2005, 05:35 PM
I already heard from Ray via Aaron and you are gonna' be a very happy man and Mrs. Focker is gonna' be screaming for you to slow the FOCK down !!!!!!!

Focker
07-20-2005, 05:45 PM
fock ya

shadow
07-20-2005, 06:00 PM
Congrats Focker,I was by Absolute today and saw your boat.I think Aaron was just doing a few touch up things.Hope it works well for you.

INSman
07-20-2005, 06:11 PM
Congrats Focker,I was by Absolute today and saw your boat.I think Aaron was just doing a few touch up things.Hope it works well for you.
Daryl
That doesn't sound too positive :jawdrop: :D
You mant to say, It's gonna work out great for you, right ?? ;)

Escape Velocity
07-20-2005, 06:28 PM
Thanks Blaine! Here's another picture of the engine in the showroom.
http://www2.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/2821Engine_13small.jpg