View Full Version : controller fwd-rev--whaa happen

jbergie
07-16-2005, 03:30 PM
took my boat out for first time in 2 years ( i know long time but stuff was happening ) but ran fine for 1 hr went back to dock for more supplys and then no forward reverse i have side mount morse controller dont think cable broke, someone told me their is a pin that gets sheared off, if any one can help sure would be thank full, ps i am a rookie that dose not know much so go easy on me guys. thanks again. jbergie :hammerhea

revndave
07-16-2005, 03:32 PM
The clip that holds cable in place could of came off.

SmokinLowriderSS
07-16-2005, 03:38 PM
Look at the reverse gate linkage in the rear and see if anything there is detatched from the cable. If not, lay down and slither under teh dash side and se if anything is loose at the controll lever. Something is loose or detatched at one place or the other. :idea:

jbergie
07-16-2005, 03:47 PM
thanks revndave, i have not fixed problem yet, can i take that controller apart, or do i crawl under dash on side of boat to fix ( when problem first happened brought boat home did not take out front seats, i turn backwards go over front seat to get a look u know backwards between seat and steering wheel at controller, well i am 6' 7" tall i f-ing freaked out i got stuck.
i mean i freaked, i guess what my question is can i take controller off boat by un screwing those 3 screws , thanks again revndave.

AZKC
07-16-2005, 04:05 PM
The three screws just hold it to the boat you have to get it from the back side, there is a lever thats clamped to the shaft that will keep it from coming out and the cable is still attached witch will also stop it from coming out. Like someone said the clamp that holds the cable from moving is probably loose. Should be 2 screws right behind the shifter they are what hold the clamp.

SmokinLowriderSS
07-16-2005, 04:51 PM
I got stuck once, changing the oil filter on my Taylor SS. I was bent over the back seats, 1 shoulder on the hull bottom with that arm under the exhaust and the other arm down the back of the engine block, forehead on the exhaust riser. Standard big block chevy oil filter location. Once I was done, I had zero leverage to push myself up & out. Wifey had to grab my belt and pull up half a foot. :D

jbergie
07-16-2005, 07:19 PM
thanks for the advice guys, i think tomorow( sat ) ill take out the seats and see if i can figure it out. i'm not going to try to look under their the way i tried the first time -lol was wondering worse case senareo if i do need to buy new cable and controller or just cable or just controller about how much money am i looking at for parts, thanks again guys for the help
jbergie :)

Devilman
07-17-2005, 04:25 AM
The last time I lost forward/reverse my intake was full of weeds.... :D :D
More than likely, its the little clamp the other guys mentioned. I guess all the cable connections are the same, on the end of my cable where it connects to the control lever, it's got an elbow(?) shaped deal threaded onto the end of the cable looks something like this:http://www2.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/2812cable.jpg
(that's not the real one, just the closest thing I could find) That part where the nut is, goes through a hole in the lever control arm, with a cotter(sp?) pin to hold it in place, instead of a nut. If the cotter pin sheared off, which is possible because its pretty small, your cable could have just fallen off the control lever. Hope this helps...
BTW, you shouldn't even have to mess with the 3 screw that hold the control to the boat, it's all done on the backside...

Devilman
07-17-2005, 04:33 AM
Here's better pictures. The first one is the clamp they talked about
http://shopping.rexmar.com/Merchant2/graphics/00000001/TLM31532.jpg
The next one is pics of the threaded elbow shaped deal I mentioned, where the sheared pin could come into play....http://shopping.rexmar.com/Merchant2/graphics/00000001/TLMpivots.jpg
Like I said, hope this helps!

jbergie
07-17-2005, 11:27 AM
problem fixed guys thanks for the help, what happened was the cable did not come loose from the strap, but the cable end came loose from the cable houseing. last time i was out when it broke i was letting my freind drive the boat i think when we came to the dock slowley, i told him to put it in reverse
well i forgot to tell him jet boats dont drive in reverse that great and as we approached the dock because the boat was not reverseing like he thought it should he pulled back on controll lever even harder till cable end poped out of houseing, well any way he's a good freind and i should have gave him a heads up about jet boats and reverse, once again thanks every one for the help. jbergie :cool:

BigBlockBaja
07-17-2005, 11:45 AM
I got stuck once, changing the oil filter on my Taylor SS. I was bent over the back seats, 1 shoulder on the hull bottom with that arm under the exhaust and the other arm down the back of the engine block, forehead on the exhaust riser. Standard big block chevy oil filter location. Once I was done, I had zero leverage to push myself up & out. Wifey had to grab my belt and pull up half a foot. :D
What? Your wife forgot the flute? hehehehe

SmokinLowriderSS
07-17-2005, 11:53 AM
As it was she had to pull hard enough to raise my VOICE an octave. :2purples:
Is handy being married to an old farm girl from time to time. I keep avoiding finding out if her talents with a hay hook are as good as I have heard. :eek:
:cool: :cool:

BigBlockBaja
07-17-2005, 11:55 AM
:jawdrop: