PDA

View Full Version : Dammit!!!!!!!!!!

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
07-16-2005, 05:53 PM
I fired it up and she was running good until...................... The idle dropped down and she died. The front carb is shooting fuel out of it. I think that the valves came loose....F**K DAMMIT!!!!! Now I am scared to fire her back up. I sure hope the cam didnt go flat on me!!!!!!

Squirtin Thunder
07-16-2005, 06:41 PM
Man up and check the valves then fix the carb and light it Dammit !!!!

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
07-16-2005, 06:43 PM
Man up and check the valves then fix the carb and light it Dammit !!!!
LOL, jim you always bring a smile to my face :D

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
07-16-2005, 06:53 PM
ok hewres what I got. I cut the filter and opened her up. There is a very light sighn of metal but it is verny light. IT appears to be bearing materal from the break in. Here are some pics....oh and dont mind the blood, that appeared slightly after I started cutting the filter. I decided to cut my finger open as well :burningm:
http://www2.***boat.com/image_center/data/521/239filter3.jpg
http://www2.***boat.com/image_center/data/521/239filter2.jpg
http://www2.***boat.com/image_center/data/521/239filter1.jpg

malcolm
07-16-2005, 07:49 PM
It probably just flooded on gas, huh? Boy, you are murder on filters! :D

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
07-16-2005, 07:51 PM
It probably just flooded on gas, huh? Boy, you are murder on filters! :D
Murder....thats an understatement;) Thats what happens when your blood pressure is soaring and your nerves are dancing around your head....

GUGS102
07-16-2005, 08:14 PM
396 -
I just went through the flat cam thing on a BBC. I immediately ran up to 2500 for 25 minutes as soon as it lit. Sounded fine. I noticed a slight variation in rpm towards the end and it did not like to idle. I pulled the rocker covers and found a few loose. (I did not soak or pre pump the lifters, so I thought my initial adj was off) I reset the valves and no improvement. Pulled the rockers again. I measured the ht from the adj nut to the top of the rocker stud and found variances between valves.
I ended up losing all but three cam lobes. I've broken in many cams as was positive I did it correctly. The closed seat pressure was only 125lbs. so I knew that was not an issue. The next morning I called Comp Cams and inquired as to the warranty process and to see if maybe they had a run of bad cams. The news I heard really pissed me off.
They said that 85% of all warranty cams are BBC flat tappet. Why you ask?? Because some year blocks have a lifter bore to cam lobe alignment issue resluting in the lifter not rotating properly and subsequently taking out the cam. They paid for the cam and lifters but would not help with bearings etc.
I'm not trying to be the bearer of bad news, because I kept trying to trouble shoot by running the motor the oil splash which oils the piston pins was full of cam lobe and froze the pistons to the rods - so check the individual lift at each rocker arm before running again, may save you form wiping the rest of the motor out - Like I did :mad:
After this happened I inquired with BBC experts and found many instances where all effort was made to correctly break in the cam and still had a failure. I used moly in place of the cam lube as that stuff likes to drip off if you don't run it right away.
I really hope this is not the case but check those rocker heights first, a little time and possibly a lot of money saved.
Gugs

dmontzsta
07-16-2005, 08:18 PM
chevy chevy bow bevy bannanna nana foe bevy fe fi fo bevy CHEBBY!
lol, I am drunk and dont know why that came to mind. Atleast you are almost running man.

steelcomp
07-16-2005, 08:26 PM
chevy chevy bow bevy bannanna nana foe bevy fe fi fo bevy CHEBBY!
lol, I am drunk and dont know why that came to mind. Atleast you are almost running man.
Effin goof ball! Dude, you crack me up!! LMAO!! :D :D

sanger rat
07-16-2005, 08:27 PM
Next time you put in a new hyd cam in spray the lobes with speed coat ( spray graphite). Let dry and them wipe it down, then just coat it with assembly lube. Break it in as normal.

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
07-16-2005, 08:41 PM
another problem found, the valve lash went from .024 to .027 :confused: :confused: F**K IT!!! Im going out and getting hammered. This is starting to wear me down. I will try again tomorrow......

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
07-16-2005, 08:44 PM
396 -
I just went through the flat cam thing on a BBC. I immediately ran up to 2500 for 25 minutes as soon as it lit. Sounded fine. I noticed a slight variation in rpm towards the end and it did not like to idle. I pulled the rocker covers and found a few loose. (I did not soak or pre pump the lifters, so I thought my initial adj was off) I reset the valves and no improvement. Pulled the rockers again. I measured the ht from the adj nut to the top of the rocker stud and found variances between valves.
I ended up losing all but three cam lobes. I've broken in many cams as was positive I did it correctly. The closed seat pressure was only 125lbs. so I knew that was not an issue. The next morning I called Comp Cams and inquired as to the warranty process and to see if maybe they had a run of bad cams. The news I heard really pissed me off.
They said that 85% of all warranty cams are BBC flat tappet. Why you ask?? Because some year blocks have a lifter bore to cam lobe alignment issue resluting in the lifter not rotating properly and subsequently taking out the cam. They paid for the cam and lifters but would not help with bearings etc.
I'm not trying to be the bearer of bad news, because I kept trying to trouble shoot by running the motor the oil splash which oils the piston pins was full of cam lobe and froze the pistons to the rods - so check the individual lift at each rocker arm before running again, may save you form wiping the rest of the motor out - Like I did :mad:
After this happened I inquired with BBC experts and found many instances where all effort was made to correctly break in the cam and still had a failure. I used moly in place of the cam lube as that stuff likes to drip off if you don't run it right away.
I really hope this is not the case but check those rocker heights first, a little time and possibly a lot of money saved.
Gugs
Awww man, you just drew all the hope in me out!!! Now my night just went south......... f**K,S**T,DAMNIT,MUTHERF****R,SON OF A B***H.......
screw it i am going to get drunk.....

Squirtin Thunder
07-16-2005, 08:51 PM
Awww man, you just drew all the hope in me out!!! Now my night just went south......... f**K,S**T,DAMNIT,MUTHERF****R,SON OF A B***H.......
screw it i am going to get drunk.....
But your still here !!!
OK stop all this crap and start over !!!
Go adjust each valve the right way and then take care of the carb.
Stop ****ing around Dammit !!!

BigBlockBaja
07-17-2005, 05:54 AM
Its 10am here and after reading this post, i feel like getting drunk!
:p

boater012
07-17-2005, 09:18 AM
awwww sh!t spit that sucks turkey sh!t. sorry to hear that bro do like jim says and fix the carb issue then check the valve lash and start over while your in there check to make sure each valve is opening as far as it should. the metal in the filter lokks a little bit extreme for a new motor break in (although this could be my hangover eyes playing tricks on me!) anyways check it out and let us know. if it turns out the cam is bad ill come drink wioth ya!!! lol
:) sorry about the poetry i couldnt resist

DeputyDawg
07-17-2005, 09:30 AM
Dude, yank the intake and take a look, if everything looks okay run the valves fix the carb and run it. Okay, wait, if you are still drunk you may want to sleep it off a little before spinning the wrenches.

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
07-17-2005, 09:49 AM
Ok my hangover just left so I am ready to go. I am going to start from scratch and try again. I will let you guys know in a bit how it went.....

BigBlockBaja
07-17-2005, 09:53 AM
Ok my hangover just left so I am ready to go. I am going to start from scratch and try again. I will let you guys know in a bit how it went.....
Try again on the motor or another hangover?

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
07-17-2005, 10:33 AM
Try again on the motor or another hangover?
lol, motor.
hangover starts tonight;)

olbiezer
07-17-2005, 11:30 AM
friend of mine 's motor is doing the same thing........hes on the 3rd cam now for the same build. dont know the cam brand though.......good luck 396.....just talked to the guy says the first two cams were Comp Cams solid lifters

Squirtin Thunder
07-17-2005, 11:36 AM
friend of mine 's motor is doing the same thing........hes on the 3rd cam now for the same build. dont know the cam brand though.......good luck 396
Mike at Rex Marine suggested that I use speed coat on some internals, then I talked to some freinds at Robert Yates Racing Engines, they are currently doing the same. They are actully coating the pistons. They do it in a much more scientific manner but they are doing it !!! That stuff is pritty awsome stuff.

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
07-17-2005, 01:27 PM
Ok I went through all the valves like fiat48 told me. They were all looseer than I thought because I set them wrong. I also found one that was almost completely loose. I went through and double checked all the valves twice just for insurance.I am going to add a extra 2 quarts of oil to get the oil splash on the cam. I also added 2 bottles of that gm lube to her.I am ready to fire her back up. I have a good feeling about her today;)

Jordy
07-17-2005, 03:31 PM
Well???????? :cool:

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
07-17-2005, 07:03 PM
weeeeeeeeeeeeelllllllllllllllllll

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
07-17-2005, 07:03 PM
Um Um Um Um Um Um Um

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
07-17-2005, 07:22 PM
that biotch fired up on the first bump of the switch;) :D :D :D I ran her for 30min just to be safe. SHe is one loud and lopy bitch;) She dont like to act right under 1000rpm's. My oil pressure dropped from 70 to 30 after 15 minutes though. That is starting to worry me now. I am going to cut the filter open tomorrow and inspect. I will post the results. Other than that she is alive so far.............
Now I am going to party :D :D and I can sleep well tonight;)

BigBlockBaja
07-17-2005, 07:29 PM
got beer?

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
07-17-2005, 07:41 PM
got beer?
NOPE!!! 151 proof bacardi and coke;) thats how we do it here in az :D

Acommanderguy
07-17-2005, 08:02 PM
the lower the oil pressure in numbers isnt that better? I know on my stock big block 454 that when I fire it up before it warms that it like to stay at 80 during idle, but as she warms up she drops to between 20-40at idle and the mechanic said that its normal. she runs between 60 and 80 when runnin her semi hard

blowngas
07-17-2005, 09:27 PM
oil pressure dropped from 70 to 30 after 15 minutes
thats the cam lube and assembly lube in the filter----now change the oil and filter and pressure should remain steady

Jordy
07-17-2005, 09:36 PM
Jet boats suck. When are you going to lake test her? :D :D :D

piper
07-18-2005, 05:03 AM
Did it run right????

SmokinLowriderSS
07-18-2005, 03:37 PM
Congrats 396_ ......... sounds like success. I wouldn't sweat that oil pressure, sounds quite normal. Now, if it drops a lot LOWER, or fails to rise on RPM, then worry.
Sounds like your problems werte just either a poor valve adjustment job or they loosened. A set of Polylocks will stop any loosenig trouble.
I don't know what cam specs you have but, if it's real lopey, you may have so much cam that it won't like to behave below 1,000. After you get her settled though, idle mixture adjustments hot may cure most of the misbehavior, or at least minimize it. My .565 cam is capable of holding on at 600 if I have her just right, and that's on a duration of 280 deg. Performer Air Gap manifold though with large oval port iron heads.

cave
07-18-2005, 06:58 PM
Good to hear its running Mike! 101 & Popov today. Fawk the coke! It was hot out there...

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
07-18-2005, 07:21 PM
I woke up feeling like a trainwreck today :D :D :D Now its back to work and finishing this damn boat :supp: :supp:

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
07-18-2005, 07:22 PM
Good to hear its running Mike! 101 & Popov today. Fawk the coke! It was hot out there...
Did you make it out jimmy? I will be there next weekend for sure;)

SummitKarl
07-18-2005, 07:56 PM
I am predicting
460 ways to spit

cave
07-19-2005, 04:31 AM
Yea I made it out. It was hot and every ski boat in the valley was out there. Water was choppy. Made for a wild ride out to the beach. My pump on my place diverter gave up again. Lucky for me It was set just right for the ride back to the dock at the end of the day. Now I wish I had a cable set up. Getting tired of dickin with the lines & the now the pump stops working. If I get it working by Sunday I'll be out. If not I may be on Doug's Eliminator, If Phil has his drive done by then. Hopefully I get to see the Maiden Voyage

460 jus getn it
07-19-2005, 10:09 AM
I am predicting
460 ways to spit
:D :D :D :D

FHI-prez
07-19-2005, 03:59 PM
I realize it's a bit too late to bring this up for 396, but aren't you guys pulling the inner spring on your cam break ins? I think I remember earlier
in the thread that his seat pressure was only 125 lbs, maybe that was someone else. But even if it was 125 lbs that's still on the bubble. I always pull out the inner spring on break in, then pressurize the cylinder and put the inner spring back in. Like I said, 125 is on the bubble, but anything over that, I don't care how much moly or speed coat you put on it, you are taking a big chance! I've never had a problem with rounding off a cam, even with comp cams, but I've heard a lot of people have. I say just put in the cam like normal (lot's of moly) but pull the inner spring and break that biotch in! (just don't take it over 3k rpm :hammerhea ) If you are pulling the inner spring and still having problems with cam break in, well that would really just flat blow.
Nick

SmokinLowriderSS
07-19-2005, 04:29 PM
That is how DuaneHTP advised I do my cam break-in. Just install the outer spring & damper coil, then 10 hrs or so later ( I made it 8), put the inner springs in. He said with my .565 kit a lot of people never put the inners from Isky in and are quite happy but with my nitrous blowing her over 5K to put the springs in before any happy-gas runs.

FHI-prez
07-20-2005, 12:26 PM
Well I'm sure some have run lower spring pressures than their specific cam called for, I'd never recommend it, but I'm sure some have done it and had success with it. Personally I don't see a benefit that superceeds the risk, but I'm sure someone would disagree. Once you get a cam broke in, the chance of you rounding it off under normal conditions is very low. It is kind of a pain in the ass to put the springs back in, but well worth it IMO.
Nick

SmokinLowriderSS
07-20-2005, 03:57 PM
I agree about the risk/benefit analysis of running partial springs on the long term. I'd sure hate to float a valve right into a piston on a cavitation just because I left part of the closing springs out.
All mine are in now and the cam sure seems happy. About 12 hours on her. Should get another 12 to 20 on her this coming weekend.