PDA

View Full Version : labbed props

Essex29
07-17-2005, 08:47 PM
I have a few dings in my prop and it's causing some irritating vibration...while they are fixing them, is it worth it to get it labbed?
Who do you guy's recommend in So Cal? How long does it take? How much?

boatnam2
07-18-2005, 09:26 AM
no

phebus
07-18-2005, 09:36 AM
In a non high performance boat, when it isn't necessary to squeeze every last bit you can out of your boat, I feel a labed prop is not worth the extra money. You just end up with a very expensive prop that is more fragile then a normal prop.
It's more important to get the proper prop for your application that puts you in the proper rpm range with the desired amount of bow or stern lift that you need.

NashvilleBound
07-18-2005, 09:44 AM
I have a few dings in my prop and it's causing some irritating vibration...while they are fixing them, is it worth it to get it labbed?
John at Ultra , as usual, did mine for my old 247....about $400 extra. I dont really know if I saw that much difference to be honest. I have a labbed Bravo 1 30" if your interested....

Essex29
07-18-2005, 10:02 AM
I'm sending you a pm

Phat Matt
07-18-2005, 10:13 AM
I have ran a regular bravo 1 24, and a labbed bravo 1 24. With the labbed one I am stronger out of the hole, picked up some rpms, and maybe a mile or 2 in speed. The labbed one worked for me, but they are fragile. But hey, I have always got a spare. :)

Midlife Advantage
07-18-2005, 10:54 AM
If you're gettin irritating vibrations, it is irritating your drive. bad thing to leave on the boat, it will cause bearing problems and ugly stuff eventually. even if it is not a high perf or expensive drive, it will cause expensive problems if you leave it on there. just get it fixed, I dont know if you need to have it labbed, depends on what you got in it, like Matt says. you will gain if you have some HP behind it.

Midlife Advantage
07-18-2005, 10:55 AM
I cant remember the name of the place, but Shaken not Stirred has his done by someone thats good, PM him

Phat Matt
07-18-2005, 10:56 AM
I cant remember the name of the place, but Shaken not Stirred has his done by someone thats good, PM him
Bronson maybe?

Midlife Advantage
07-18-2005, 11:01 AM
Bronson maybe?
THATS IT! :idea:

THOR
07-18-2005, 11:39 AM
If it is done right, then hell yes. Make sure the person labbing your prop know your boat weight, type, HP, what your boat is doing now in terms of rpms, and speed.

slink
07-18-2005, 05:47 PM
No, it won't help at all, especially sittin on the trailer all weekend :wink: J/K, good meeting you this weekend, next time we'll get'r wet. Jeff

Ultrafied
07-18-2005, 06:01 PM
My friends took his to Bronson Hill for a 23' caliber with a 377 turning a 22. Got 2-3mph more on the GPS. I took mine to John at York Propellor. With the 496 Mag on a 24' Ultra turning a 24, I went from 68 to 70mph on the GPS, in the summer. My friend with the Caliber just ate a few rocks on his and is getting it fixed by John York right now.
If you want to have the prop worked on and get results, you will need what your rpm's were at WOT, how many people, what time of the year, engine, boat weight, etc.
I had a very good experience with John and would recommend him to anybody after the work he did on mine. Any other questions, shoot me a PM.

Essex29
07-18-2005, 09:05 PM
No, it won't help at all, especially sittin on the trailer all weekend :wink: J/K, good meeting you this weekend, next time we'll get'r wet. Jeff
Did you have to rub it in??
Good meeting you too and next time she's gettin wet or sure!

C-2
07-18-2005, 09:21 PM
I've had two props over to Bronson for whatever he calls a lab finish - never saw anything.
Shortly I'll be looking to prop my boat again and am also curious about who to use.
Who did you use Thor - it seems you have that thing dialed in pretty good?
????

Ultrafied
07-19-2005, 05:12 AM
I believe Thor had York do his. When I was looking, THor pointed me to them and I was really satisified.

SnakeWrench
07-19-2005, 05:55 AM
Hey 29, Have bronson/hill do it. What kind of speed and rpm are you getting now? Is your 29 A step bottom or a standard? Just wondering.

rivercrazy
07-19-2005, 07:28 AM
I also have to give a big thumbs up to York. He has done a few props for me and they have also netting significant performance gains. 2-3mph better on the top end and a substantial improvement in both hole shot and mid range accel.
Just let him know if your looking for all out performance or a notch below. The last prop he did for me was more of an all around prop and its much more durable than an all out last MPH lab job.

Essex29
07-19-2005, 07:31 AM
Hey 29, Have bronson/hill do it. What kind of speed and rpm are you getting now? Is your 29 A step bottom or a standard? Just wondering.
It's an Essex with the standard, non-step bottom. At top speed I'm not sure what rpm I am at, guess that would help.

desertbird
07-19-2005, 07:55 AM
My best money has always been spent with Brian @ Valley Propeller Service. He's in Ventura off Victoria and the 101.
805 644 5055
Take your time and fill out the data sheet honestly. He'll give you a nice prop. :smile:

phebus
07-19-2005, 08:29 AM
I'm telling you, if you are getting good performance out of the prop you have, save your money on the labbing, and put it into the stereo or gas. In reality, what is the difference between 68, and 70 if you aren't racing. I have been through it, and it just hurts that much more when you put a ding in your labbed prop. Most of your time will be spent cruising, and it will only be for your ego that a mile or two matters.

rivercrazy
07-19-2005, 08:55 AM
I tend to agree with Phebus. But to me the main benefit to a lab job is out of the hole and mid range accel. And I think you can compromise a little on an all out lab and get the benefits of holeshot and accel without thinning the blades so much that the prop becomes fragile.

Essex29
07-19-2005, 08:57 AM
I'm telling you, if you are getting good performance out of the prop you have, save your money on the labbing, and put it into the stereo or gas. In reality, what is the difference between 68, and 70 if you aren't racing. I have been through it, and it just hurts that much more when you put a ding in your labbed prop. Most of your time will be spent cruising, and it will only be for your ego that a mile or two matters.
I have heard enough about this to say that, I will not be labbing the prop, just fixing the dings to stop the vibration.
thanks to everyone that chimed in. :)

Huckleberry
07-19-2005, 09:08 AM
I had two 24p Bravos worked for my Lavey when I had it. One went to Bronson Hill, the other to York. Bronson Hill sent me back a real pretty prop that did nothing extra, for a mere $400. Yorks prop was about the same price, but gave me better hole shot and 3 MPH on the top end. I'd use York again, hands down.