PDA

View Full Version : Boat Racing in Neeldles.....?

rvrpig
07-18-2005, 11:29 AM
What would you guys thing about Drag Boat Racing coming back to Needles?
I was born in Needles and remember the Enduro racing....Drag Boat racing...Etc. in Needles. I am now a resident of the town and would like to see some of the glory days return for the town. Iam on the Planning Commission for the town and have wanting to try and get the racing to come back to Needles.
What are your opinions (being flat boat owners and racers)?

superdave013
07-18-2005, 11:48 AM
well there is already an entire fleet of NKRA guys running there now. it would be great to see you set them up with some trun pins! They would put on a heck of a show and would draw a good crowd for sure.
i love the thought.

Sangerboy
07-18-2005, 12:20 PM
Well this is an unexpected but very welcome post, especially from a city official :cool: I don't qualify much as a racer, but certainly do as a flattie owner. I would certainly support this idea as a spectator and hopefully a participant. I don't suppose you would find much (if any) opposition here on this forum anyway. Another thought is the idea of the city sanctioning or aprroving a regatta ( or some kind of get together) that would allow open exhaust for a few days just to guarantee that these informal gatherings could still take place ( The last week of April might make a good time :idea: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: ) The police have always been cool there ( as have the boaters, who tend to restrict their heaviest activity to midweek runs) but it would be nice to have an official city blessing also.

V-DRIVE VIDEO
07-18-2005, 12:56 PM
What would you guys thing about Drag Boat Racing coming back to Needles?
I was born in Needles and remember the Enduro racing....Drag Boat racing...Etc. in Needles. I am now a resident of the town and would like to see some of the glory days return for the town. Iam on the Planning Commission for the town and have wanting to try and get the racing to come back to Needles.
What are your opinions (being flat boat owners and racers)?
All it takes is insurance, prize money and a great location. Contact Ali Abassi, he knows how to throw a big bash... :cool:

rvrpig
07-18-2005, 01:00 PM
All it takes is insurance, prize money and a great location. Contact Ali Abassi, he knows how to throw a big bash... :cool:
True..... but to make it and event you need concessions, good food, parking.
This has always been a thought...still need to do some research...phone calls, etc.
Who would set up a better event and be willing to do it? NJBA or IHBA?

Kurtis500
07-18-2005, 05:42 PM
A race that close to Phoenix is a race I'll go to.

coolchange
07-18-2005, 05:45 PM
Wasn't it CRR back in the day?

Rexone
07-18-2005, 06:30 PM
I remember watching drag boats at Needles Marina many moons ago.
I think today it's likely an issue of adequate insurance as the major obstical to any new venue with today's litigeous society, not to discount all the other things involved in organizing such an event.

revndave
07-18-2005, 07:28 PM
Talk to Busby.He is looking for other venues other than Ming.

disco_charger
07-18-2005, 08:24 PM
Has anyone talked to Jeanne about it, or are you going to race out of Jack Smith?

rvrpig
07-18-2005, 11:15 PM
This is just an idea...I still havent even asked or proposed it to any one..I just wanted to get a feel from the V-drive crowd.
Wanted to get a feel about what the V-drive crowd thought...since they are the ones that are deep into the lifestyle.
I would like to see the IHBA host it and run every thing from Top Alcohl to a class that locals could get into...maybe even PWC...some thing for the whole family.
Good food....a place for kids to play....and the ability to walk through the pits yet keep people out of the racers hair
This Is all just and Idea I am working on.

ColeTR2
07-19-2005, 07:02 AM
Needles has a great opportunity to attract hot boat owners. It's very clear there not welcome here in Parker anymore because of the noise. I don't know if you need to do boat races. Maybe having a V-drive week / Boat show with exhibition runs at different times of the day. And close the river during that time so it's safer for everyone.

Roman 1
07-19-2005, 08:21 AM
This is just an idea...I still havent even asked or proposed it to any one..I just wanted to get a feel from the V-drive crowd.
Wanted to get a feel about what the V-drive crowd thought...since they are the ones that are deep into the lifestyle.
I would like to see the IHBA host it and run every thing from Top Alcohl to a class that locals could get into...maybe even PWC...some thing for the whole family.
Good food....a place for kids to play....and the ability to walk through the pits yet keep people out of the racers hair
This Is all just and Idea I am working on.
Sounds good, you can run the pwc's during the bikini contest.
R1 :wink:

vdriver4ever
07-19-2005, 08:33 AM
Roman, thats some funny sh*t there...
PWC races will give the town folk time to go by hamburgers and beer...

full throttle
07-19-2005, 05:37 PM
I'd go for sure!

meaniam
07-20-2005, 10:18 AM
damn imagine needles sticking to v drive, the way san bernardino did to route 66. it could create revenue for the city. bring more people out to that city. just would hope the city wouldnt commericalize it the way route 66 has been

rvrpig
07-22-2005, 09:07 AM
I am not an elected city official...just appointed. After a meeting last night and talking to my fellow memebers which include People that work for the City and the Chamber of Commerce. I was given the green light to start working on the project of getting a racing event down here. I am not sure that the logistics of time, place and insurance will work them selves out just yet but I will be looking into it. I would love to get the IHBA down in Needles sometime around October (that is there open month with no races). Possible have it at Jack Smith Park. I will keep you informed.
Any ideas or connections are welcome... :smile:

rvrpig
07-24-2005, 10:34 AM
:boxingguy

wsuwrhr
07-24-2005, 10:42 AM
I am not an elected city official...just appointed. After a meeting last night and talking to my fellow memebers which include People that work for the City and the Chamber of Commerce. I was given the green light to start working on the project of getting a racing event down here. I am not sure that the logistics of time, place and insurance will work them selves out just yet but I will be looking into it. I would love to get the IHBA down in Needles sometime around October (that is there open month with no races). Possible have it at Jack Smith Park. I will keep you informed.
I think it would be cool
Brian

BUSBY
07-24-2005, 11:19 AM
rvrpig ...
Interested ... NJBA is looking for new venues, you can call me at (714) 448-4345.
We have all classes from a discounted rate for River Racer, to PWC to Top Fuel Hydro.
There are a lot of logistics though, and being on the river requires more than city permits, Coast Guard, Bureau of Land Management, etc., etc., etc. ... I beleive.
I would have to get with Ross Wallach and ask what is required for permitting, etc.
But, with all of that aside, it sounds like something we would like to look into.
Call me,
Brian Busby

wsuwrhr
07-24-2005, 11:32 AM
Hell I think I would even enter a boat or two.
Brian

ColeTR2
07-24-2005, 02:48 PM
rvrpig ...
Interested ... NJBA is looking for new venues, you can call me at (714) 448-4345.
We have all classes from a discounted rate for River Racer, to PWC to Top Fuel Hydro.
There are a lot of logistics though, and being on the river requires more than city permits, Coast Guard, Bureau of Land Management, etc., etc., etc. ... I beleive.
I would have to get with Ross Wallach and ask what is required for permitting, etc.
But, with all of that aside, it sounds like something we would like to look into.
Call me,
Brian Busby
Why don’t you bring the drags back to Parker / Blue Water? I understand NJBA still has permits to do races in Parker.
http://www2.***boat.com/image_center/data/518/2752754.jpg
NJBA at Parker :D

rvrpig
07-24-2005, 05:48 PM
Why don’t you bring the drags back to Parker / Blue Water? I understand NJBA still has permits to do races in Parker.
http://www2.***boat.com/image_center/data/518/2752754.jpg
NJBA at Parker :D
You trying to steal my event...lmao :hammerhea

ColeTR2
07-25-2005, 11:39 AM
You trying to steal my event...lmao :hammerhea
rvrpig I hope you can put something together I will bring my boat and run it for sure. Just on my street alone here in Parker there are 4 flat Bottoms like mine. There is a lot of guys that would bring out there boats to run if it was local and easy to do. If NJBA had several events on the river more boats would show and more fans! It would get a lot of people excited if they could race once a month and not have to drive 12 hours to do it. It would be great to have a winter series like Oct. Nov. Dec. & Jan. those months are the best for hot boats! Good air perfect temps and no wind!