PDA

View Full Version : fwrd rev controller not prob. what is?

jbergie
07-18-2005, 02:51 PM
ok guys im back the guy who dose not know much about fixing things,
im the one with the forwd - rev controll cable that was messed up.
i fixed that problem with your guys help, thank you, but i guess that was not the only problem, fixed cable on sat, launch boat on sunday 11:55 am, pull boat back out of water 11:59 am sunday, well the boat goes nowhere like pump dont work. or clogged up or something or broken bearing or spunbearing,
boat is sanger jet 460 ford, berkjet, why no go, when mash the gas,
i'm on a, well lets put it this way don't have money to put in shop right now;
so i'm hopeing you guys can come thru for me again and help me trouble shoot the problem, now if clogged up what do i do ? thank you in advance.
jbergie :)

DeputyDawg
07-18-2005, 03:16 PM
When you mash the gas does the boat rev up and just not go anywhere? Are you hearing any funny noises from the jet pump? If you can get to the hand hole clean out on the pump open it up and take a look in there and make sure nothing got sucked up. NOTE: if your handhole clean out is inside your boat do this while on the trailer. Also crawl under the trailer and take a look up into the intake and again make sure there isn't something sucked up in there. Does your boat have a droop snoot on it? If so your pump may be air locked, if that is the case make sure that the reverse bucket is open when you back the boat into the water so it fills up with water and pushes the air out.

SmokinLowriderSS
07-18-2005, 03:17 PM
Check to see if the reverse gate is opening all the way. It's the arched plate thing on the back of the jet.
In "reverse" it completely blocks the nozzle and forces the water out a lower nozzle cast in the bottom of the nozzle.
In "Neutral" it only blocks half.
In "Foreward", it is completely up and out of the way. If these things are not the case, re-adjustment is needed, usually at the FWD end but there is usually SOME adjustment at the drive.

SmokinLowriderSS
07-18-2005, 03:18 PM
Dawg is also correct. Check in the hand-hole and see if there are any rocks lodged in the impeller. they wreck water flow and you will go nowhere, slowly. :yuk:

Jeteka
07-18-2005, 03:32 PM
Does it have a little knob on the controller that when pushed in or pulled out engages the forward/reverse cable?

jbergie
07-18-2005, 03:41 PM
where is the hand hole clean out what dose it look like
yes the boat dose rev up,
when in the water rev it up and only go 3mph.

jbergie
07-18-2005, 04:08 PM
ok i crawled under boat looked in side the intake and their was part of a branch in side their, i fished it out the peice of branch was about 6 inches long and a bout 1 1/2 in dia, the branch was not wedged in thier but it did look like the impeller was trying to chew it up both ends of the branch were burned could this be the problem? how can i tell if the pump works with out putting the boat in the water. thanks guys
jbergie

Oldsquirt
07-18-2005, 04:08 PM
That would definitely cause the type of problem you were having.
Only way to verify is to take it out for a test run.
Since you now know where to look, check the leading edges of the impeller and make sure they are all straight and free of any big nicks.

DeputyDawg
07-18-2005, 04:19 PM
DO NOT START the boat out of the water!! Doing so is murder on your pump, it is not designed to run out of the water. Go back to the lake/river and I bet she goes this time.

jbergie
07-18-2005, 04:19 PM
can i leave boat on trailer back down to water start boat up and give a little
gas to see if i have forward thrust? thanks again
jbergie

DeputyDawg
07-18-2005, 04:23 PM
Yes you can do that but don't hammer it because you will be in shallow water and could suck up more trash in the pump.

Oldsquirt
07-18-2005, 04:25 PM
You would be better off actually launching it and taking it for a spin. That's the only way to really know if its "fixed" or only "better". I would be very hesitant about "goosing" the throttle while on the trailer. That boat is going to want to move.......and bad things can happen......

jbergie
07-18-2005, 04:30 PM
ok guys, tomorow i'm gonna try it again, just one more question
can a peice of branch really make the boat not go, it was a good size peace of branch but like i said it was not wedged in their.
thank you all for the help.
jbergie

DeputyDawg
07-18-2005, 04:32 PM
Yes!

Oldsquirt
07-18-2005, 04:37 PM
It doesn't take much to disrupt the flow of water to the impeller to the point that the boat won't move. Rocks, sticks, weeds, ski ropes wound around the shaft.....