PDA

View Full Version : Anybody Running a Sea Strainer???

DeputyDawg
07-18-2005, 03:09 PM
I was just wondering if any of you guys were running a sea strainer on your jet boat, and if so which ones are you using? I was at Lake Texoma this weekend getting a ride in a friend of mines 36' Skater and at the end of the weekend I was surprised at how much crap was in the strainers. I know that stariners are pretty much a must in salt water but I am seriously considering running one in the Daytona after seeing what kind of junk they filtered out in the lake.

SmokinLowriderSS
07-18-2005, 03:12 PM
Never heard of such a thing. I am now paying attention.

DeputyDawg
07-18-2005, 03:30 PM
Here are the ones my buddy is running on his Skater. http://www.gilmarine.com/products/seastrain/

Bense468
07-18-2005, 04:06 PM
Gilmarine makes nice ones...But I am kinda partial to the look of these.
http://rexmar.com/images/page173.jpg
I have never heard of a sea strainer on a jetboat though.

Aluminum Squirt
07-18-2005, 04:52 PM
I like the idea, but some of those strainers are very expensive. I've been told some of the New Zealand river boat guys run something similar called a 'sand trap' that is supposed to be pretty reasonably priced, but I haven't seen a picture of one yet. I think its a great idea. I don't really care what goes through my jet, but I do care what goes through my motor. It's probably full of sand right now :messedup: -Aluminum Squirt

P-Money
07-19-2005, 04:53 AM
I run a Rex Super Strainer to keep crap outta the intercooler. Not too much garbage in the water where I boat, but don't want to risk it.

DeputyDawg
07-20-2005, 06:28 PM
I think I am going to go ahead and run one. Dargboats, do you have a picture of the one your running? I have a line on a like new Gil strainer but I might call about the other one like yours.

Instigator
07-22-2005, 07:48 PM
I guess I started it but now I've got all my friends running strainers. We get them from the local farm and home stores. Another place to get them is places that supply spraying equipment for agriculture. You know, those big spray trucks and wagons with tanks that you see fertilizeing farm fields. Made of high density plastic, no corrosion, easy to rinse out, many different sizes. Best of all, they start at less than 40 bucks. We use them manely to keep sand out of our header T valves causeing the Tvalve to not shut off. Also those header water lines are pretty small, who wants a pebble to cause a blued pipe, not me!

berk
07-22-2005, 08:39 PM
one of the big boat stores around here had them in the catalog, plastic white, clear lid or something cant remember. thay looked cool though and were only 30$ i think i will try one as i get tons of sand out of my engine into the bilge every time i boat.
it was either west marine or boaters world. do you guys have boaters world?