PDA

View Full Version : Walter's Camp-Lower Colorado River

glamisbum
07-18-2005, 08:17 PM
We are making a run to Walter's Camp on the weekend of 7-29. This is our first time on this section of the river. Anybody ever been there? Any input on what to check out and what to look out for?
Thanks in advance.

tamalewagon
07-19-2005, 08:05 AM
We are making a run to Walter's Camp on the weekend of 7-29. This is our first time on this section of the river. Anybody ever been there? Any input on what to check out and what to look out for?
Thanks in advance.
It's a beautiful area. Hopefully you've got a jetboat for that area. Are you going up from Martinez? If so, just stay as close to the reeds as a general rule of thumb or follow a boat through the shallow spots and you should be ok.

Waist Deep
07-19-2005, 08:05 AM
Where are you leaving from?

CandyA$$
07-19-2005, 09:12 AM
The whole trip is neat to see, But I heard something about Walters took out their gas pumps.
Is it true?

Waist Deep
07-19-2005, 09:25 AM
Couldnt tell you about the pumps. To drive through there at 2mph in that filth is enough deterrent.

glamisbum
07-19-2005, 11:36 AM
We are camping at Walters Camp. We are all running props. We would like to make a run south to Lake Martinez. What kind of River Depth can I expect to see?

Waist Deep
07-19-2005, 12:16 PM
Expect to see sand and stumps as you go through Picacho. If the water is glass, it will be too late. Well, you could always camp in Picacho if you get stuck. I run mine full throttle until I know I want to stop. Good Luck

Screaming Pete
07-19-2005, 12:24 PM
You'll be able to see the bottom and sandbars all the time, hopefully you have some time on the lower river. its a lot of zig zaging and seeing were the water is flowing, were a good pair of sunglasses. in tight spots always stay on plane. you can buy gas at martinez for the trip back if you need to. have fun :messedup:

Waist Deep
07-19-2005, 12:35 PM
Nice ride Pete

Starloans
07-19-2005, 12:37 PM
Been to Walters a few times from Martinez. The entire river south of the 10 freeway is shallow with lots of sand bars. The good thing is it's mostly sand instead of rocks. Polorized sunglasses are a must. They will make a world a difference. If you have polorized sunglasses just stay away from the brown water. I've been to Picacho 100s of times from Martinez and its pretty easy up to there. Picacho is about 13 miles on GPS from Martinez. There is a second "no Ski" zone past Picacho (about 19 miles on GPS from Martinez, if I remember correctly). From there you have to pay attention pretty good. There is a long straightaway (about 2 miles) that is beautiful but has shallow spots. I've seen some fast boats survey this area and then make speed runs. It's pretty awesome. 36 miles comes to mind as the distance for the total trip. Remember, the sandbars are always changing. Good luck.

Man-de-lone
07-19-2005, 01:02 PM
IF you are going through an unkown area on plane, it can really put you far up on a sandbar.... :hammerhea I know this. It took 12 canoers about 10 minutes to slide my 21 the 40 feet back to the deeper water... doh.
I would suggest you run with a few boats and have the smallest/lightest run scout out front. Take some walkie talkies....
I drove down to Walters last sunday. It is a 10 mile dirt road to the camp, so take along a good cover to put over your boat, and a gravel guard or hula skirt for the back of your tow rig. Its fairly well graded, but dusty as hell.

glamisbum
07-19-2005, 02:59 PM
Thanks to all you guys for your input. :cool:
I have got a few trips under my belt up by Blythe thus I know what you mean about watching the water currents and the brown spots. I plan to keep it slow and I will most likely lead the group of 3 boats.
Well what the hell we will try it out. :rollside:
If anyone else on the board is interested give me a shout and I will give you the details of our plans.
Da Bum

Waist Deep
07-19-2005, 04:05 PM
Are you leaving from Blythe, and if so, where? Let me know, we got a place at McIntyre and would go with you guys and stop in Picacho. From there youll be good.

shueman
07-19-2005, 04:21 PM
From what I remember, the "facilities" at Walter's are very basic....not pretty, but functional...!! If your self-contained/RV, that's preferred.

glamisbum
07-19-2005, 05:58 PM
Are you leaving from Blythe, and if so, where? Let me know, we got a place at McIntyre and would go with you guys and stop in Picacho. From there youll be good.
Daytona 21- We are camping at Walter's on Friday Night and Saturday Night. we plan to make the run Saturday morning from Walters to Hidden Shores (MAYBE)????

Mandelon
07-19-2005, 06:46 PM
You can get fuel at Fisher's. Time it right so the flow is up!

Waist Deep
07-19-2005, 07:39 PM
Mandelon, werent you supposed to be at Nascar in Phoenix?

Mandelon
07-19-2005, 07:53 PM
Not me. Parker and Havasu!!! :redface: