PDA

View Full Version : Gas pedal

tahitijet
07-18-2005, 09:26 PM
I'm having problems with the pedal wanting to stay on the floor. Do i need to pull the carpet and glass in a pad for it to lag into or some sort of anchor bolt instead?

BadBahner
07-18-2005, 09:28 PM
I'm having problems with the pedal wanting to stay on the floor. Do i need to pull the carpet and glass in a pad for it to lag into or some sort of anchor bolt instead?
My Pedal loves going to the floor... I do it all the time.
:D

Oldsquirt
07-18-2005, 09:33 PM
Probably simplest to start with the plastic wall anchors. If the wood is too rotten(which is why the screws are pulling out) for those to hold, try the type of anchor that looks like this. That's what I finally settled on in my old Tahiti. Held for many years. Outlasted the rest of the boat. :)
http://images.acmehardware.com/200x200/2214922.jpg
Important note: Check distance from floor to hull to be sure there is room for the anchor to expand properly. My 73 Tahiti had plenty, except for the most outboard of the holes. That one was pretty close.

tahitijet
07-18-2005, 09:51 PM
Thanks. thats what i was thinking either those or the ones that butterfly out once they pass through the bottom.. The pedal is close to center of the boat so there is probably 3-4" under it. I'm not sure why there pulling out but the wood is in good shape. They held fine for the first dozen or so trips. I think it's more a combo of the lags being slightly to short (not sure how thick that wood is) and the way my pedal is there is alot of preasure on the rear bolt and the natural force when you push is constantly trying to lift the back of the pedal.
I think i will try those anchors and also probably drill 2 more holes down the rear lenght of the pedal so it's not held in by 1 bolt in rear and 2up front.

Oldsquirt
07-18-2005, 10:32 PM
Try the ones I pictured first. For the "butterfly" style you need to drill a real big hole relative to the screw size, and, if there is limited room between hull and floor, they wont open. If you were to need to take the pedal out for some reason, the "butterfly" will fall down. The ones above are pretty much permanent.

RCB19
07-18-2005, 11:17 PM
My Pedal loves going to the floor... I do it all the time.
:D
You beat me to it. LOL

SmokinLowriderSS
07-19-2005, 05:22 PM
I haven't had trouble with my throttle pulling loose (lord knows it spends a lot of time with a heavy size 12 atop it) but I took a different aproach on my front seats.
When the lags pulled loose, I went to the hardware store and bought brass thread inserts. They have wood threads on the outside and machine threads on the inside with either a big screwdriver slot or internal hex cut to drive them in. I epoxy-bedded them in, let them cure and have had ZERO problems for 15 years. I drove mine by putting an oiled bolt in them and driving them that way into the hole where I had put a smear of epoxy on the wood as well as a smear on the threads. The next day I unthreaded the bolt, ready to put my seats back in. Now I just use blue locktite and lock-washers. Good to go!