PDA

View Full Version : Help get my h2o temp up to running specs ! !

DUECE'SDAD
07-19-2005, 06:12 AM
Had the boat out for the first time this year over the weekend, and the first time ever with the new chrome headers. I hooked up all the water injection and got it working properly very easily with at gate valve on the exit as basset reccommends, But couldnt get the water temp up past 170. Its been my opinion that BBC dont start working until 195-200 and shouldnt really be ran cold, So being at the lake and using what i had i pulled the intake line off the water pump and slid a 7/16 socket in the line to cut the water coming in down from 5/8 to about 3/8 and thats when i got it to 170 I am afriad to take very much more water away thats coming in and think its time to keep the water in there longer so that it will heat up, but if so that will make the header watering a problem, which i wouldnt care about bluing but my dad bought the headers and baffles brand new from basset for me and will keep a close eye on them. So for my idea, 1/2 gate water coming in, 1/2 gate valve water going out, 1/2 gate valve before basset tee valve. Adjust in and out valves according to get the heat up, then open the tee valve until water comes on around 2500 rpm. This way i can shut the water off and pull the baffles out for a few passes at the lake racer class later this year, What do you think ? ? ? ?

lucky
07-19-2005, 06:34 AM
whats wrong with 170? cooler your engine runs less detonation :idea: :D

blowngas
07-19-2005, 06:40 AM
170 deg water is ok----don't overpressure water in the block---it will push past the head or intake gaskets and put it in the motor instead of back in the lake!!!

DUECE'SDAD
07-19-2005, 06:43 AM
I havent ever jumped in one of my cars cold, started it and made a mad pass like i was at the dragstrip, I usually like to warm every thing up first. I think i have all the detonation problems addressed, good gas, 32-34 timing. I just think it will "come alive" if i get the temp back up, It was up last year and ran much better and it was way to rich like it is now, and the only difference is water temp.

DUECE'SDAD
07-19-2005, 06:49 AM
Blown gas, i must have been typing while you were, i didnt see your post until i submitted mine, I havent ever thought of pressuring the block up but that could be a problem, i did see a guy over the weekend with a water temp and water pressure guage on the thermostat housing. That must have been what he was keeping an eye on. Although his was a jet with logs.

ColeTR2
07-19-2005, 08:08 AM
I like 170 too. I would not worry about it.

Sanger D
07-19-2005, 08:57 AM
150 to 170 here too,its hard to get a motor to run hot up here on the river!!!frickin waters COLD!!!try runnin it for a while and put a oil temp gauge and see what its temp remains!!!if its heating up to a decent temp ,I would,nt worry too much about it,how cold is the water your runnin on would be my next question!!!!

DUECE'SDAD
07-19-2005, 02:22 PM
well, i have talked to several people today on this, and it seems that 170 is suffecient so i will leave it at that , and jet down the carbs, as it seems to be running richer no that it is not 195