PDA

View Full Version : thead inserts in engine block?

454-ways-to-go
07-19-2005, 06:24 AM
this weekend i was trying to assemble my 454 when i notice one of the head bolt kept turning, turning and never tighten up,I ran a tap through it and it was loose in the hole of the block. my question is what can i do to fix it?what type of insert can be used? :confused: :confused:
thanks jonathan

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
07-19-2005, 06:38 AM
helicoil kit. Get your wallet out. They arent cheap;)

454-ways-to-go
07-19-2005, 07:10 AM
my next question is, if i use a helicoil will it effect the torque of the head bolt(80 lbs with arp bolts)

lost boy
07-19-2005, 07:13 AM
nope it will be fine, but you might want to use sealent on heli coil and head bolt also.

Moneypitt
07-19-2005, 07:47 AM
Heli coils will work, but if you can find a "Keenesert" you will be better off. The Keeneserts have little stakes that drive down the sides and IMO are a more permanant fix. Either way, use sealant on the insert, and the bolts .....MP
PS either way will require a tap for the insert, these taps are not standard sizes for Helicoils, (helicoil kit comes with the right tap), and I think the Keenesert uses a standard size tap, maybe a size or 2 larger........

454-ways-to-go
07-19-2005, 08:57 AM
i was also suggest to stud it with a insert,but is it okay to use the bolt

454-ways-to-go
07-19-2005, 08:59 AM
Heli coils will work, but if you can find a "Keenesert" you will be better off. The Keeneserts have little stakes that drive down the sides and IMO are a more permanant fix. Either way, use sealant on the insert, and the bolts .....MP
PS either way will require a tap for the insert, these taps are not standard sizes for Helicoils, (helicoil kit comes with the right tap), and I think the Keenesert uses a standard size tap, maybe a size or 2 larger........
using keensert, is there enough materal on the block to maintain a good thickness

superdave013
07-19-2005, 10:17 AM
I used Tineserts in a bbc before. at least I think that's what they were called. much stouter then a Helicoil.

SUICYCOLE DIMARCO
07-19-2005, 10:53 AM
repair as stated above but if one is started or did pull others will follow.....you better stud block.and red lock tight them in. :hammer2:

Oldsquirt
07-19-2005, 11:08 AM
I'll bet a buck it was one of the "doweled" bolt holes. Since they are machined down for the tubular dowel, there is less thread engagement to begin with. Had one go on me once.
Couple tips. Tape off everything before drilling!!!!! Do not leave any holes in block exposed no matter how small. It is critical that the hole be drilled straight and that it be perpendicular to the block. Same goes for the tap. Go slow. Back it out and clean it several times.
Like Suicycole said, might be time for the full stud kit.

GofastRacer
07-19-2005, 11:19 AM
Those doweled holes are always the first to go. Just make sure you drill and tap the hole straight, I made a tool for that works great!..

SUICYCOLE DIMARCO
07-19-2005, 01:49 PM
ya make sure its straight ,if the bolt is off a tad it will rub on the cylinder bolt hole and throw off the torque,or worse not be able to even turn......stud it...pulled threads are also a sign of a well used block,sometimes.

SmokinLowriderSS
07-19-2005, 05:31 PM
The thread inserts are usually claimed as being stronger than the orriginal threads, which I tend to believe being as they are stainless steel instead of Iron but I have always seen it advised to install helicoils (never saw any others arround here) with red lock-tite (#271). I wonder if the red would seal OK for the cooling passages. I would tend to think so if used liberally. I trhink I would stud it as advised. Seems like a good call in the circumstance.
Oh, did I mention .... MAKE SURE THE HOLE IS DRILLED ABSOLUTELY STRAIGHT!! And threaded straight too.