PDA

View Full Version : changing your oil

surfer2001
07-19-2005, 08:44 AM
it took my 2 hours using a manual pump, anybody have a better way?
oil change pump (http://www.enginegearonline.com/imoilchpu1.html)

HCS
07-19-2005, 08:48 AM
Mine has an elbow fitting with a 3/8 hose on it on the bottom of the oil pan.
I feed the hose through the bilge drain hole and drain away.
Takes about an hour.
Other than that I believe your stuck with a manual or electric pump.

wildbillg
07-19-2005, 08:53 AM
This one works really good
http://www.westmarine.com/images/full/16305_f.jpg
heres a link to the westmarine site
west marine (http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10001&langId=-1&catalogId=10001&productId=32983)
I used to have this one MOUNTED in my SeaRay in Dana Point.
http://www.westmarine.com/images/full/02876_f.jpg
Worked really well never had to pull the boat out or over to the shop to just change the oil, brought some empty milk jugs and filled em up took em home. Dont forget to start and run to boat for a few min before you change the oil, and the plastic shopping bags work really well for catching the oil filter when you spin it off, it falls right in the bag, catches the filter and the oil in the filter.product info (http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product/10001/-1/10001/46753)

SummitKarl
07-19-2005, 08:56 AM
Mine has an elbow fitting with a 3/8 hose on it on the bottom of the oil pan.
I feed the hose through the bilge drain hole and drain away.
Takes about an hour.
Other than that I believe your stuck with a manual or electric pump.
same for me but I hook up the manual pump to the end of the hose sticking out the back, takes about 5 min's

surfer2001
07-19-2005, 10:00 AM
This one works really good
http://www.westmarine.com/images/full/16305_f.jpg
heres a link to the westmarine site
west marine (http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10001&langId=-1&catalogId=10001&productId=32983)
I used to have this one MOUNTED in my SeaRay in Dana Point.
http://www.westmarine.com/images/full/02876_f.jpg
Worked really well never had to pull the boat out or over to the shop to just change the oil, brought some empty milk jugs and filled em up took em home. Dont forget to start and run to boat for a few min before you change the oil, and the plastic shopping bags work really well for catching the oil filter when you spin it off, it falls right in the bag, catches the filter and the oil in the filter.product info (http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product/10001/-1/10001/46753)
the one on the bottom is exactly what i was looking for. THX MUCH

a catered life
07-19-2005, 10:28 AM
:D my mind wants to type something bad but my fingers dont so..........i have whats called a preston drain system on my boat it connects to the oil pan and with the turn of a little pipe i attatch presto i'm done

Nord
07-19-2005, 10:32 AM
Double up black glad bags, unscrew plug, take out glad bags when done!! 45 Minutes tops!!!! I do it every year!!!! You don't need all that fancy sh*t!!!

HCS
07-19-2005, 10:36 AM
Double up black glad bags, unscrew plug, take out glad bags when done!! 45 Minutes tops!!!! I do it every year!!!! You don't need all that fancy sh*t!!!
Where's the oil go???

Nord
07-19-2005, 10:55 AM
Usually you walk over to a storm drain and dump it so the sea life can enjoy it! :D J/K
your trash pick up should have a monthly hazardous pick up, or you can go to a local auto shop and dump it!

NashvilleBound
07-19-2005, 11:17 AM
Double up black glad bags, unscrew plug, take out glad bags when done!! 45 Minutes tops!!!! I do it every year!!!!
Every year? Glad bags? I'm ok with recycling down the storm darin tho :squiggle: :notam:

ColeTR2
07-19-2005, 11:20 AM
This is how I do it Easy!! :cool:

surfer2001
07-19-2005, 12:08 PM
45 minutes is too long when its 120, I want it done in 2~5. I know I picked the hotest day to do it, but i wanted done right then. I'll pay (one time) for the fancy $hit then I'll aways have it.

Big Warlock
07-19-2005, 12:39 PM
With the electric pump going down the dipstick. Key is to run the engine for 15 minutes prior to pumping out oil. Nine quarts out and nine in plus fliter change in 20 minutes.

BADBLOWN572
07-19-2005, 01:00 PM
I run the boat for about 5 min to get the temp up. Then I put in Kittie Litter into 45gal trash bags and put under the motor and pull the plug. Kittie Litter soaks up the oil and makes it a lot easier to clean up if there is a spill. Pretty easy. Always much easier if the motor is warm before. Comes out real easy versus like syrup.

Nord
07-19-2005, 01:04 PM
I run the boat for about 5 min to get the temp up. Then I put in Kittie Litter into 45gal trash bags and put under the motor and pull the plug. Kittie Litter soaks up the oil and makes it a lot easier to clean up if there is a spill. Pretty easy. Always much easier if the motor is warm before. Comes out real easy versus like syrup.
What up Danny, long time no talk!

jackpunx
07-19-2005, 01:06 PM
yea.. well in that damm offshore boat you got.. there is room under the motor..
:)

BarryMac
07-19-2005, 01:08 PM
What if it's a Jet, can't run it when it's not in the water, how should I warm the oil to make it easier to extract???
BTW, I have a small pump that I bought at the Home Depot, it has a stud stickiking out the center of it that I attach to my cordless drill, two 3' pieces of 1/2" tubing, I have the fitting on the bottom of the oil pan with the 3/8" hose coming off of it, suction away, takes about 30 minutes because the oil is cold, see reason why above...

BADBLOWN572
07-19-2005, 01:18 PM
What if it's a Jet, can't run it when it's not in the water, how should I warm the oil to make it easier to extract???
BTW, I have a small pump that I bought at the Home Depot, it has a stud stickiking out the center of it that I attach to my cordless drill, two 3' pieces of 1/2" tubing, I have the fitting on the bottom of the oil pan with the 3/8" hose coming off of it, suction away, takes about 30 minutes because the oil is cold, see reason why above...
Jets are easy to run. Between your pump and motor there should be a garden hose fitting. Unscrew the two and hook up your motor to the garden hose, but don't turn on the hose until you fired the motor. Once the motor is on, turn on the hose. Run the motor on the hose for about 5 min then turn off the water and turn off the motor. Don't have the water on and the motor off. If you do that, you can hydraulic the motor. :frown:

BADBLOWN572
07-19-2005, 01:19 PM
yea.. well in that damm offshore boat you got.. there is room under the motor..
:)
Its called skills. :D Some have them, some don't. :p Sorry. ;)

BADBLOWN572
07-19-2005, 01:20 PM
No kidding. Need to hook up sometime this weekend and go cause some chaos. :)

jackpunx
07-19-2005, 01:21 PM
Its called skills. :D Some have them, some don't. :p Sorry. ;)
you white trash cheep mo fo.. I aint go no skills..

jackpunx
07-19-2005, 01:21 PM
Its because he dosnt like you.. You should have heard all the stuff he was saying :p

rivercrazy
07-19-2005, 01:30 PM
On all the jets I've seen there is a hose T between the pump and the motor. So if you turn on the hose, water just comes out the pump bowl. Running the hose before firing the motor shouldn't hurt anything if its set up this way

BADBLOWN572
07-19-2005, 01:33 PM
On all the jets I've seen there is a hose T between the pump and the motor. So if you turn on the hose, water just comes out the pump bowl. Running the hose before firing the motor shouldn't hurt anything if its set up this way
That is correct if you have the T, but I know that 99.9% of the Marine Power motors did not come with the T and were done with a garden hose fitting directly out of the pump and into the motor. The motor that GJB is talking about is a Marine Power motor and I am familiar with that style boat.

BarryMac
07-19-2005, 01:45 PM
Jets are easy to run. Between your pump and motor there should be a garden hose fitting. Unscrew the two and hook up your motor to the garden hose, but don't turn on the hose until you fired the motor. Once the motor is on, turn on the hose. Run the motor on the hose for about 5 min then turn off the water and turn off the motor. Don't have the water on and the motor off. If you do that, you can hydraulic the motor. :frown:
I have the "T" fitting between the Pump and Motor that rivercrazy is talking about, I was told under no circumstances should I run the boat unless it is in the water. rivercrazy - BADBLOWN572, am I okay to run for 5 minutes out of the water??? Sorry Surfer2001, didn't mean to jack your thread, I replied hoping to explain the set-up I have on my Carrera...

BADBLOWN572
07-19-2005, 01:48 PM
I have the "T" fitting between the Pump and Motor that rivercrazy is talking about, I was told under no circumstances should I run the boat unless it is in the water. rivercrazy - BADBLOWN572, am I okay to run for 5 minutes out of the water??? Sorry Surfer2001, didn't mean to jack your thread, I replied hoping to explain the set-up I have on my Carrera...
You can run it out of the water without a problem then. We ran every boat at the shop prior to taking it to the lake. I would not worry about it what so ever.

rivercrazy
07-19-2005, 02:09 PM
Maybe it depends on the boat Mfg. My marine power 454 mag jet boat had the hose T.
What brand of jet pump do you have? If its a new AT, Dominator, etc, its probably OK to run it on the hose. The problem is the impeller to wear ring clearance. Water acts as a lubercant and without water, you can do some damage.
the other thing is if you have rubber exhaust hoses. Running dry can damage them. And if your exhaust is under the water line, you can sink the boat!
So be CAREFUL running it off the water.
If you have two hoses and house hose bibs, run one to the motor, and run the other into the jet nozzle. just dont insert it past the bowl veins. Turn em both on full blast