PDA

View Full Version : Reverse cooling question

cook1
07-19-2005, 01:47 PM
We are racing a bbc in a jet boat any pros and cons to reverse cooling the engine?

FASTRAT
07-19-2005, 02:48 PM
We are racing a bbc in a jet boat any pros and cons to reverse cooling the engine?
why would u want to reverse cool it?
fastrat

berk
07-19-2005, 03:39 PM
i remember a thread about this a while back. i think it was about sbc engines but they said corvettes switched to this from the factory for several reasons, not the least of which was more power. seemed like it was a no lose situation. i do remember it was a drill and tap thing in the rear of the block, not useing the drains. arent they too small anyway?

FHI-prez
07-19-2005, 03:44 PM
I guess I'm confused. I thought reverse cooling was when you plumbed it so the water would go into the T-stat housing first, then ejecting out of the water pump plate. If that is the case, how would this create higher head temps? I would think, based on my assumption what you guys are calling reverse cooling, that the cold (lake water) going directly into the intake manifold then to the heads, would actually cool the heads better. However, I'd be real leary of shooting cold water into hot heads, especially iron heads. Sounds like a real good way to crack a head to me. I must be missing something. I'm not being a smartass here, I'd really like to know how one would plumb "reverse cooling". AND if I'm correct about how it's plumbed, I'd think it would render the stock temp sensor useless in the stock location. It would read the river water temp for the most part. Yeah, it's official, I have no clue what the hell reverse cooling is.
The guy that said his motor temp pegged at idle pretty much seals the deal.
So let me back up a bit....what the hell is reverse cooling?? :D
Nick

DeputyDawg
07-19-2005, 03:45 PM
If you were trying to run a higher compression motor on pump gas you would not want to do the reverse cooling set up because you don't want the head temps higher.

FASTRAT
07-19-2005, 04:27 PM
u never said...what kind of racing u are doing?...drag...enduro...circle boat
fastrat

Wicked Performance Boats
07-19-2005, 05:00 PM
I guess I'm confused. I thought reverse cooling was when you plumbed it so the water would go into the T-stat housing first, then ejecting out of the water pump plate. If that is the case, how would this create higher head temps? I would think, based on my assumption what you guys are calling reverse cooling, that the cold (lake water) going directly into the intake manifold then to the heads, would actually cool the heads better. However, I'd be real leary of shooting cold water into hot heads, especially iron heads. Sounds like a real good way to crack a head to me. I must be missing something. I'm not being a smartass here, I'd really like to know how one would plumb "reverse cooling". AND if I'm correct about how it's plumbed, I'd think it would render the stock temp sensor useless in the stock location. It would read the river water temp for the most part. Yeah, it's official, I have no clue what the hell reverse cooling is.
The guy that said his motor temp pegged at idle pretty much seals the deal.
So let me back up a bit....what the hell is reverse cooling?? :D
Nick
OK guys, Here's my take on reverse cooling. Reverse cooling was originally designed to have cooler water[closed cooling system, as in auto] run thru alumium heads first to allow higher combustion temps[ higher compression ratios] without detonation. hense more power. But a boat normally doesn't have a closed cooling system, therefor can create air pockets and hot spots! I have long thought that if you preheated the water some in a reverse cooling system, and used a solid head gasket, you could run higher compression thus more power. but if you exited water out of the drain petcocks, your front 2 cylinders would run hot! Matter of fact, I think seperating the cooling system into 2 parts, heads only and block only[better ring seal] I believe more power can be gained! I just haven't tried it yet. Has anybody else? Budlight

berk
07-19-2005, 06:08 PM
air pockets was another reason in this post i am forgetting, saying that filling up from the back chases out all the air.
someone research why gm did this on corvettes and the answers will become apparent.