PDA

View Full Version : Valve Cover Oil Dripper?

miller19j
11-29-2002, 12:41 PM
Just started disassembling my engine to rebuild it this winter and found that the last owner broke off the valve cover oil drippers. My question is how necessary are these drippers? Do I need to replace the valve covers?
Any information would be greatly appreciated.
http://free.***boat.net/gallery/Gearhead_Garage/Motors_and_Drives/Valvecover.JPG

MikeF
11-29-2002, 01:35 PM
M, They are really only there for stock ball/socket type rockers. W/ aluminum roller rockers they get in the way and have to be ground off. :)

miller19j
11-29-2002, 02:43 PM
Mike Thanks for the info!
Is it safe to assume that they are not necessary for steel roller rockers as well?
http://free.***boat.net/gallery/Gearhead_Garage/Motors_and_Drives/Rockers.JPG

1stepcloser
11-29-2002, 03:09 PM
Those are roller tip ball type rockers. The oil drippers redirect the oil as it comes out of the pushrod and would benefit these type of rockers, however it will be fine to run without them.

Rexone
11-29-2002, 04:04 PM
Other than Holley or MT covers I know of none that came with these drippers. You should be fine without them as mentioned above.

miller19j
11-29-2002, 05:04 PM
Thanks for the info! I really appreciate it. :)

Ric 232
11-30-2002, 03:06 PM
Uh oh. That sounds bad for me. When I replaced my exhaust manifolds on my 454 Mag MPI, I put on Keith Eickert 2-piece valve covers so I could do a cam swap and/or rocker arm change w/o removing the exhaust. I still have the stock stamped steel rockers. Sounds like I should change the valve covers back to stock (ARGH !!).

1stepcloser
11-30-2002, 05:03 PM
Ric 232:
Uh oh. That sounds bad for me. I still have the stock stamped steel rockers. Sounds like I should change the valve covers back to stock (ARGH !!).Your original GM valve covers did not have the oil deflectors in them. As far as I know, M/T was the only one with them. (Later became Holley products) The Keith Eickert covers are a quality product, you should not have any trouble with them. Besides, they are a really trick looking piece!

miller19j
11-30-2002, 05:27 PM
Just for reference mine are Hardin Marine and they had the oil drippers in them. So I guess that you could add them to the list with M/T and Holley

Rexone
11-30-2002, 06:30 PM
Miller I believe that MT actually made those Hardin covers for awhile, just inserting the Hardin name. Do they look identical to MT's other than the name? I'm digging way back to remember this kind of meaningless trivia.... :D

Ric 232
11-30-2002, 07:29 PM
I still have my stock GM valve covers and they absolutely DO have drippers. The 500EFI motors have them as well except that a couple of them are ground shorter to clear the Crane Gold rockers. I don't know if this was new for Gen VI or what.
Ric

miller19j
12-01-2002, 05:22 PM
Rexone:
Miller I believe that MT actually made those Hardin covers for awhile, just inserting the Hardin name. Do they look identical to MT's other than the name? I'm digging way back to remember this kind of meaningless trivia.... :D Yes they do look like M/T covers. It wouldn’t surprise me if they were made by the same manufacturer.

Rexone
12-01-2002, 06:08 PM
miller19j:
Rexone:
Miller I believe that MT actually made those Hardin covers for awhile, just inserting the Hardin name. Do they look identical to MT's other than the name? I'm digging way back to remember this kind of meaningless trivia.... :D Yes they do look like M/T covers. It wouldn’t surprise me if they were made by the same manufacturer.I've been told by someone who knows more than me about it that the Hardin covers were definately made by MT and also that "some" GM stock covers did come with drippers as Ric 232 has stated. Being that there are a multitude of different covers being run without drippers including many stock GM covers I wouldn't give it a second thought to running without them even with ball type rockers. Might be a good idea to run the aftermarket balls with the grooves in them...I've heard they oil better and wear less. There are thousands upon thousands of motors running out there with stock covers without drippers though. :)

mister460
12-01-2002, 07:49 PM
The drippers are NOT necessary. Ever ran a motor without the valve covers on and oil deflectors? The oil gets throw around like crazy undr there! Don't even worry about it.

flat broke
12-03-2002, 08:47 AM
Ric 232:
Uh oh. That sounds bad for me. When I replaced my exhaust manifolds on my 454 Mag MPI, I put on Keith Eickert 2-piece valve covers so I could do a cam swap and/or rocker arm change w/o removing the exhaust. I still have the stock stamped steel rockers. Sounds like I should change the valve covers back to stock (ARGH !!).Tell ya what I'll do for ya there Ric. Send me those KE 2 piece valve covers and I'll send you a set of factory GM valve covers in exchange. Normally I wouldn't do that, but you seem like a nice guy, so I'll take the hit and get those nasty KE valve covers off your motor. :D
Seriously, you will have no problems running without the drippers. SBC VCs dont ever have them and those rockers see much more RPM than the BBC units.
Good luck,
Chris

Jordy
12-03-2002, 09:00 AM
I have those exact rockers and valve covers on the Disco Pimp Schiada and had to pull the valve covers and knock all the oil drippers out for clearance. I put the covers on, and bolted them down, turned the motor over and you could see the covers flexing as the valves cycled. This was after I added the Comp roller tip rockers.
When are you going to come pick up your Schiada anyway? :D

superdave013
12-03-2002, 09:38 AM
Rexone:
Miller I believe that MT actually made those Hardin covers for awhile, just inserting the Hardin name. Do they look identical to MT's other than the name? I'm digging way back to remember this kind of meaningless trivia.... :D I'm going to Hardin at lunch today. I will ask that question.

Jordy
12-03-2002, 09:47 AM
Hey Dave,
While you are at it, ask about the exhaust logs as well. We were talking about that a while back and it seems as though they all look pretty much the same, which would lead someone to believe that there was only one or two companies casting the logs and adding names depending on who had the order in. I have Edelbrock logs and risers on my Schiada and they look like every other pair of Nicson, Hardin and half a dozen others, at least to the untrained eye. But there isn't anything that really sets off one from another, right down to the risers being seemingly interchangable. I was just kind of curious about the history and if it really was an exhaust log conspiracy. :D
Jordan :D

superdave013
12-03-2002, 10:00 AM
jordanpaulk:
Hey Dave,
While you are at it, ask about the exhaust logs as well. We were talking about that a while back and it seems as though they all look pretty much the same, which would lead someone to believe that there was only one or two companies casting the logs and adding names depending on who had the order in. I have Edelbrock logs and risers on my Schiada and they look like every other pair of Nicson, Hardin and half a dozen others, at least to the untrained eye. But there isn't anything that really sets off one from another, right down to the risers being seemingly interchangable. I was just kind of curious about the history and if it really was an exhaust log conspiracy. :D
Jordan :D Ok, I will ask that. But off the top of my head I bet Glenwood is making them. I've been to Glenwood a bunch of times and they cast a bunch of stuff.

miller19j
12-03-2002, 10:26 AM
jordanpaulk:
I have those exact rockers and valve covers on the Disco Pimp Schiada and had to pull the valve covers and knock all the oil drippers out for clearance. I put the covers on, and bolted them down, turned the motor over and you could see the covers flexing as the valves cycled. This was after I added the Comp roller tip rockers.
When are you going to come pick up your Schiada anyway? :D Jordy I thought you had a buyer for the Schiada?

Jordy
12-03-2002, 10:32 AM
miller19j:
Jordy I thought you had a buyer for the Schiada?Until I have money in hand, it's for sale. At least a deposit and a closing date or something of the sort. Right now it will go to anyone who brings me the money. There are a couple people interested, not counting Wifey. If nothing else, I might just give it to her to spite you. :p
Jordy :D

miller19j
12-03-2002, 11:02 AM
jordanpaulk:
miller19j:
Jordy I thought you had a buyer for the Schiada?Until I have money in hand, it's for sale. At least a deposit and a closing date or something of the sort. Right now it will go to anyone who brings me the money. There are a couple people interested, not counting Wifey. If nothing else, I might just give it to her to spite you. :p
Jordy :D If you give it to her it would really piss me off! :mad:
:mad: I would have to come out there and…….. :mad:
Are you buying it? :D wink

Jordy
12-03-2002, 11:14 AM
Not for a second. Nice try though. :D

flat broke
12-03-2002, 12:48 PM
superdave013:
jordanpaulk:
Hey Dave,
Jordan :D Ok, I will ask that. But off the top of my head I bet Glenwood is making them. I've been to Glenwood a bunch of times and they cast a bunch of stuff.At least when in the case of BBF logs, there is a distinct difference between the Hardin logs and the Glenwood units. Not that logs are the hot setup, but if you were in the market for a set, I would stay clear of the Glenwood stuff. Misaligned bolt hole/port configurations and a less than stellar flange design. The hardins run the bolt throuh the water passage making installation much easier.
Chris

spectras only
12-03-2002, 01:00 PM
Hardin manifolds made by nixon , glenwood makes their own and for guardian ,harman made ones like nixon and have a totally different style for BBF .I think glenwood is the only one who make them still today. Flat broke, it's the harman marine manifold for BBF that has the bolt through the jackets :p .
[ December 03, 2002, 01:04 PM: Message edited by: spectras only ]

superdave013
12-03-2002, 01:46 PM
I was mixed up. I went to harman today. So I didn't ask about the hardin stuff. My Bad.

flat broke
12-03-2002, 02:44 PM
spectras only:
Hardin manifolds made by nixon , glenwood makes their own and for guardian ,harman made ones like nixon and have a totally different style for BBF .I think glenwood is the only one who make them still today. Flat broke, it's the harman marine manifold for BBF that has the bolt through the jackets :p .Doh!
Harman, Hardin, Potato, Potatoe :) Good call Spectra's. In either case, I wasn't too impressed with the Glenwood stuff that was on our old Eliminator. The Harman goods that were on Ty's Spectra were 100 times easier to deal with. Sorry for the confusion.
Chris

Ric 232
12-03-2002, 04:05 PM
jordanpaulk:
. . . you could see the covers flexing as the valves cycled. This was after I added the Comp roller tip rockers.
:D I don't understand.

spectras only
12-03-2002, 04:35 PM
Flatbroke I hear you. The manifolds could be a bitch to bolt up :rolleyes: , especially on the SBC.

Jordy
12-03-2002, 05:11 PM
Ric 232:
I don't understand.With the oil drippers hanging down, they were coming in contact with the valve train and there by flexing the top of the valve covers where the oil drippers were cast in.

Ric 232
12-04-2002, 04:24 PM
[/QUOTE]With the oil drippers hanging down, they were coming in contact with the valve train and there by flexing the top of the valve covers where the oil drippers were cast in.[/QB][/QUOTE]
I misread your message. I thought you said you changed to roller rockers after this, and I did not understand how that could fix the problem. Now I see that this problem occurred after the rocker arm change.