PDA

View Full Version : Prop question

BIGCHRIS
07-19-2005, 06:19 PM
I was trying a different prop the other day, went from a 11.5x 15 to a 11x 15 wanting to get the boat a little quicker.It worked well as far as being quicker and the boat was more responsive,but i did not like all the prop slip it had around the cruising rpms .I have another prop i can try it is a 10 7/8 x16. What do u get from changing from a 15 to 16 or even a 14. thanx

ColeTR2
07-19-2005, 06:39 PM
The second number is the pitch for every time the prop turns that’s how far forward it goes a 11x15 goes 15” forward. Maybe you need to change your gears what do you have in it? The 10 7/8 x16 will get you more topend speed. The first number is the diameter, it is like tire width, that is how come when you went to a smaller diameter is started slipping. If you put skinny tires on a car it will do burn-outs easy.

BIGCHRIS
07-19-2005, 06:50 PM
I am running 16s in the box ,when i went to the 11x15 i picked up 5 to 600 rpms i was wondering if i tryied the 16 i could possibily pull the rs and the bigger pitch might give me :) some more speed :idea:

ColeTR2
07-19-2005, 06:57 PM
I think if you picked up RPM you are using all your motors power. Going to a 16 will really decrees your RPM. I would stay with the bigger Dia prop 11.5 x 15 and go down in gear 12's to pick up RPM’s. It will come out of the hole better to!!

BIGCHRIS
07-19-2005, 07:21 PM
I think if you picked up RPM you are using all your motors power. Going to a 16 will really decrees your RPM. I would stay with the bigger Dia prop 11.5 x 15 and go down in gear 12's to pick up RPM’s. It will come out of the hole better to!!
If i went with the 12s would the top speed change any

ColeTR2
07-19-2005, 08:02 PM
If i went with the 12s would the top speed change any
No not if you pick up more rpm's
All props have slippage 11 vs. 11.5 will have more slippage with the same 15 pitch. That’s why you got more RPM’s with the smaller diameter. You probably where not going any faster with the extra RPM’s do to slippage, it sounds like your motor doesn’t have enough hp to pull the gear prop combo you have. So if you lower the gear and get the motor in its peak RPM and have a prop with less slippage the boat will go faster. The next problem you might run it to is with lower gears you will be putting more torque to the prop. Having a big diameter prop mite make the boat hard to handle out of the hole. If that's the case try cutting your 11 1/2 down to 11 3/8

GofastRacer
07-19-2005, 08:51 PM
I was trying a different prop the other day, went from a 11.5x 15 to a 11x 15 wanting to get the boat a little quicker.It worked well as far as being quicker and the boat was more responsive,but i did not like all the prop slip it had around the cruising rpms .I have another prop i can try it is a 10 7/8 x16. What do u get from changing from a 15 to 16 or even a 14. thanx
If the prop works the way you want it to put a slight cup on it, that will take care of the slip at cruise and it will even hook up better!..

V-Drive Tom
07-20-2005, 07:07 AM
What TR2 and gofast have said is right. I would still try the 16 so you can feel what it did to the boat.
If you don't want to spend the money on a new prop now, I would put a cup in the 11x15. It will help it out in the low and mid range. TOM..
PS, ALWAYS make sure that your keyway fits properly. Make sure it slides easily in the slots. And make sure that it is letting the prop go all the way on the taper. Slide the prop on the taper without the key and measure the distance between the strut barrel and the prop hub. Then slide it on with the key and MAKE SURE it goes up to the same spot. I like to use a little antisieze on taper and key before sliding it on the final time. Then put the nut on. Tighten damn tight...
PSS, I know that is info most of you know all about. I just thought I would go over it for those who don't. TOM.. :D

BIGCHRIS
07-20-2005, 07:19 AM
Thanx guys for the info, i am trying diff things and looking to get the best perf until i build a larger motor.Putting some more cup in the prop and cutting one down do i need to send it somewere to be done or is this something i can do myself

ColeTR2
07-20-2005, 07:30 AM
You need to send it out. Putting cup in it is a good Fix. That is one more variable, one other thing that cup does is makes the back of the boat lift, the cup make the prop what to come up.

BIGCHRIS
07-20-2005, 07:39 AM
I may try to do that ,i have been swaying towards a gear change but i liked how the prop made the boat react thats why i thought to ask the Qs and it is a quick changeout to try.I will deffianitly be looking for more power over the winter :)

ColeTR2
07-20-2005, 07:54 AM
i have been swaying towards a gear change but i liked how the prop made the boat react thats why i thought to ask the Qs and it is a quick changeout to try.
It is not a big deal to change gears ask around. Someone around here has some 12's I’m sure. Once you have two sets you can trade sizes for about $150

BIGCHRIS
07-20-2005, 08:02 AM
It is not a big deal to change gears ask around. Someone around here has some 12's I’m sure. Once you have two sets you can trade sizes for about $150
Were can i trade some gears at ,also do u think the smaller dia 16 prop will turn up the Rs like the 11x15 ,i was thinking if it would with the 16 it might run faster

ColeTR2
07-20-2005, 08:41 AM
Were can i trade some gears at ,also do u think the smaller dia 16 prop will turn up the Rs like the 11x15 ,i was thinking if it would with the 16 it might run faster
From what you said you got more RPM from the 11x15, the 11x16 prop will work the motor harder then your original 11.5x15 I don’t think you have the HP for the 11x16 with the 16 gear you have. I would try it and see? Then get some 12’s and try all three props again. Gears are a good investment. I think v-drive Tom can help with the prop and gears or I have had RBProps.com do work for me they have gears and can work on your props too.

beaverfab
07-20-2005, 08:45 AM
Gear exchange $50.00 + shipping and your good gears. Let me know if I can help. j.j.

ColeTR2
07-20-2005, 08:51 AM
Gear exchange $50.00 + shipping and your good gears. Let me know if I can help. j.j.
This is going to make the biggest difference for the least amount of $$$$. When you start cutting down props you can never add it back. And your paying for labor witch is money will spent when you know what you need. But not when you’re testing

BIGCHRIS
07-21-2005, 06:37 PM
Well i tryied the 10 7/8x16 today ,all 3 props were within 1 mph the 11x15 and 11.5 x15 were the same except the rpms.the 16 went 1 mph faster but made the boat harder to drive.I am going to try some gears next.Then again i think i might try to find me a runner bottom,my friend let me drive his again today 105mph and its like sitting in your lazy boy at home :D

ColeTR2
07-21-2005, 06:42 PM
how was the RPM's of the 16?

BIGCHRIS
07-21-2005, 06:46 PM
Tr2 i run it 2 times and it was hoping around that i never looked down to see

bigkatboat
07-21-2005, 07:06 PM
"Cup lifts the tail" Note to self; write that down, after 36 years of doing this I never knew that to be a true fact. I always thought that 'flat tails' and 'less rake' lifted the tail. What the **** do I know?

ColeTR2
07-21-2005, 07:06 PM
Then again i think i might try to find me a runner bottom,my friend let me drive his again today 105mph and its like sitting in your lazy boy at home :D
Start saving money for that runner bottom with a big motor! I think you’re hooked!! And you can’t go back!!
Tr2 i run it 2 times and it was hoping around that i never looked down to see
LOL :D :D sounds like you had your hands full!! put some 12's in it with the 11.5 x 15 I think will be your best compo.

BIGCHRIS
07-21-2005, 07:26 PM
Yes it took me alot more time to get it setled down than usual the boat runs good but my best friend has 2 hondos 5/8 runners and i drive then pretty well any time i want.One is a bbc 509 the other a bbf 512 and they role trust me when your T1 was for sale i was drooling ,just so far away,but i am looking :D :D

EXTREMEBOATS
07-21-2005, 07:30 PM
Chris
We have a BEAUTIFUL BLACK Cole TR-2 we would be proud to put you in. Any way you want it. You saw it it in Augusta didn't you? Mike says to tell ya he's sorry we didn't have more time but the weather kinda made things hectic. Give us a shout for detaild on your new boat.
Kristina :cool:

BIGCHRIS
07-21-2005, 07:41 PM
Chris
We have a BEAUTIFUL BLACK Cole TR-2 we would be proud to put you in. Any way you want it. You saw it it in Augusta didn't you? Mike says to tell ya he's sorry we didn't have more time but the weather kinda made things hectic. Give us a shout for detaild on your new boat.
Kristina :cool:
If i decide to eventually go for something new i will def give you a call .The TR 2 u guys have are awesome :cool:

olbiezer
07-21-2005, 08:03 PM
big criss talk to jj (beaverfab) he is great guy to discuss gears with. he has them all whatever u need. and knows his stuff.......

ssmike
07-21-2005, 08:27 PM
"Cup lifts the tail" Note to self; write that down, after 36 years of doing this I never knew that to be a true fact. I always thought that 'flat tails' and 'less rake' lifted the tail. What the **** do I know?
just think, you could have won another 36 world titles. :confused:

ssmike
07-21-2005, 08:30 PM
Dang, BKB. You MUST have so much business that you're constantly beating guys off with a stick.
Otherwise, why come in every time and make an ass of yourself.
Why not just say, "hey TR-2, you're mistaken.....actually, cup does ____"
Why all the hate?

bigkatboat
07-21-2005, 09:23 PM
"Mike", no hate! I just don't understand why guys who don't know, offer BS. I love the boats, and tolerate the owners. What do you mean "everytime", I have been away for three days, and I just came on here. Bye the way, I do have way too much to do these days, but I could have said.... "You F^%$ing Jac&^SS, you are totally wrong on the prop deal! I didn't, did I? I was calm, and spoke of how I NEEDED TO UP DATE MY INFO! (I'm ready to learn) How was I an ASS? Because I understand how props work? If YOU want to 'overlook the truth' and make this site a "politicaly correct" ass kissing area, OK. I on the other hand, want to promote the TRUTH! I am more concerned with 'boat driver safety' than my own image here. You can 'hate me' all you want, but I only pray for 'hot boater safety', and not for my impression on you. It's only 33 and you must be 'stalking me', get a life. After all of this 'chit- chat' the thread has gone on to gears, "SS Mike" I got your point, agree with all of the "locals" or get 'pointed out' for having a brain. Thank you for telling me what I am doing wrong on YOUR site.

smalls
07-21-2005, 09:37 PM
DANG!

EXTREMEBOATS
07-21-2005, 09:37 PM
Dam "G" you wernt that "calm" with me... :2purples: But im glad to see your keeping your cool... :hammerhea Just funnin with ya...
Mike :eek:

ColeTR2
07-21-2005, 10:25 PM
I’m just going by my fifteen years of experience and working with several prop guys. At two different times I have had to different people that make there living working on props tell me that the cup on the tip of a my prop I was using was to much. And making the back of the boat lift. Maybe they where putting into layman terms by calling it cup. This is when I was having problems getting my boat to takes a set. The cup I’m talking is pictured in RED and was only on the edge about 1/16” It’s funny I had the cup taken out and my problems went away! So I guess the guys that have been working on props 9 to 5 for as long as you have been boating are full of shit for telling me that. I will correct one of them. He has driven a boat over 220mph, the other got kill in a car crash coming back from a boat race. I’m not pretending to know everything I’m just trying to help a young man that’s trying to under stand what different prop’s do. Thanks for your input I’m sure he will find it constructive! Maybe you could explain what 'flat tails' and 'less rake' is for him.
http://www2.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/738prop.jpg

Sangerboy
07-22-2005, 05:03 PM
Although my experience is limited compared to the people who work on props everyday, I have found that prop mods and design differences sometimes don't translate from one application to another. One example is that increased prop rake will generally promote bow lift in a sterndrive application while the same modification in a v-drive prop will usually generate increased tail lift. same modification but opposite effect in different applications.