PDA

View Full Version : 460 oil pan

abraman1326
07-20-2005, 09:02 AM
I need to get a new oil pan for a ford 460 jet boat. Anyone know where I can get one. I'd like used, but I'll go new if I have to. Any suggestions...
BRA

CautionStayBack200FT
07-20-2005, 09:27 AM
I believe I have an extra from my Carlson. I'll check when I get home and post tomorrow. (my home computer is down)

Hallett19
07-20-2005, 09:33 AM
Are you using a stock one ? That is a baaaadddd idea on a jet boat. Get the Dooley pan with baffles and rear pickup, you will save yourself a whole lot of problems.

CautionStayBack200FT
07-20-2005, 10:04 AM
Are you using a stock one ? That is a baaaadddd idea on a jet boat. Get the Dooley pan with baffles and rear pickup, you will save yourself a whole lot of problems.
I know for sure the only pans I've ever used in my boats are 8 quart rear pick up. Good reminder for those that don't know.

abraman1326
07-20-2005, 10:08 AM
I have the stock pan in now, and am having serious oil pressure problems. I put in a high flow pump, but it didn't work. I'm going to be pulling the pan and replacing the pump anyway so I figured I would change the pan as well. I should have known better than to put the stock one on, but I was in a hurry to get it done. I really appreciate all the help guys...
BRA

460 jus getn it
07-20-2005, 10:25 AM
I have the stock pan in now, and am having serious oil pressure problems. I put in a high flow pump, but it didn't work. I'm going to be pulling the pan and replacing the pump anyway so I figured I would change the pan as well. I should have known better than to put the stock one on, but I was in a hurry to get it done. I really appreciate all the help guys...
BRA
do u have a front sump pump or rear???????????????if u have front ditch it and get a pan and pick thats for a rear sump

BUSBY
07-20-2005, 10:36 AM
http://www.dooleyenterprises.com/

abraman1326
07-20-2005, 10:41 AM
do u have a front sump pump or rear???????????????if u have front ditch it and get a pan and pick thats for a rear sump
I have a front sump. I'll definetly go to a rear...
BRA

abraman1326
07-20-2005, 10:42 AM
http://www.dooleyenterprises.com/
Thank you, I've been looking for their web site for the past hour...
BRA

460 jus getn it
07-20-2005, 10:55 AM
I have a front sump. I'll definetly go to a rear...
BRA
go rear and go with dooley.

NELSON#109
07-20-2005, 11:11 AM
i run a dooley on my dragboat and its been great, but check out dan olsen first. my roady jus got a nice alum pan from olsen for his brad anderson 5 / tfx engine, (and parts for those things are usually very spendy), for about the same price as a dooley. just a thought, you might get more pan for your money.... but like i said the dooley is a great pan, and i have no complaints about it...... nelson#109

BUSBY
07-20-2005, 01:57 PM
i run a dooley on my dragboat and its been great, but check out dan olsen first. my roady jus got a nice alum pan from olsen for his brad anderson 5 / tfx engine, (and parts for those things are usually very spendy), for about the same price as a dooley. just a thought, you might get more pan for your money.... but like i said the dooley is a great pan, and i have no complaints about it...... nelson#109
I need your roady's old engine & it's killing me!

NELSON#109
07-20-2005, 02:00 PM
come n get it busby, he needs the money.....

BUSBY
07-20-2005, 02:03 PM
come n get it busby, he needs the money.....
I need to get the money to give to him ... otherwise, I would be on the road already!

TopCat
07-20-2005, 02:56 PM
try the truck pan and sump should be fine I've used one for 25yrs never had a prob
:smile:

abraman1326
07-20-2005, 03:08 PM
try the truck pan and sump should be fine I've used one for 25yrs never had a prob
:smile:
It has the truck pan in it now, and I can't hold oil pressure. I figured if I am going to pull the motor anyway, I'd just assume do it right. I'm hoping someone has a used one they want to get rid of...
BRA

mgar_red
07-20-2005, 03:52 PM
I put in a high flow pump, but it didn't work.
Are you sure it wasn't a defective new pump? It's been known to happen. Also, since your going to pull the engine, check your bearing clearances. If you're too loose, that could be a reason for the drop. Or, if you have electric gauges, might be a problem at either end.
My BBF starts cold with 80psi at idle, then drops to 60 when running at temp ( 160 t-stat kit ). I thought my factory original gauge was going out when it kept pegging at 80 until I installed a 100psi mech under the sending unit and found out.
Oh, and it has the original pan Indmar used 27 yrs ago, no problems.

BigBlockBaja
07-20-2005, 05:59 PM
I just want to add my 2 cents... I just put a lot of money into my 460 (Intake, cam, chain, carb, rockers, springs) That I dug a little deeper and bought the Jet boat oil pan . It fits great with baffles and a windage tray. If you like your motor, protect it.

abraman1326
07-21-2005, 08:52 AM
I figure if I am pulling the motor, I might as well do everything I can to help protect it. I will check the clearences as well while I'm in there. I never thought about that. I will be changing the oil pump while I'm in there. I figure that there is no way this drop in pressure is because of not running a baffled oil pan, but I want to do that for the long run. The oil pressure problem I believe has something to do w. the pump or pick up. We'll see once I get in there. For now, it's just puttin around for me, which isn't such a big deal b/c as long as I'm on the water I'm happy...
BRA