PDA

View Full Version : Need new steering wheel... help

stashtrey
07-20-2005, 11:51 AM
Can anyone point me in the right direction of where to find a nice 'wood' handled steering wheel? I have a '77 Spectra Jet and I'm not crazy about the crazy steering wheels I'm seeing at some of the websites. I want something classic looking.

victorfb
07-20-2005, 12:01 PM
try the swap meets. seems nobody is making classic steering wheels any more. its a shame too, the steering wheel is a big focal point to many boats and can make or break the look.

stashtrey
07-20-2005, 12:07 PM
Thanks, Victor. I looked at all the sites (rex etc) and all I see are the aluminum billet type wheels. They are nice and all but I'm not going for that look. The boat is older and in my opinion, a classic, and I want that wood wheel. The one on it currently is original, I think, and the wood is just about to turn into dust. I'll keep my eyes peeled. Thanks again confirming my fears that they just aren't being made. Bummer.

steve d
07-20-2005, 12:07 PM
Can anyone point me in the right direction of where to find a nice 'wood' handled steering wheel? I have a '77 Spectra Jet and I'm not crazy about the crazy steering wheels I'm seeing at some of the websites. I want something classic looking.
Try Mooneyes---Steve

stashtrey
07-20-2005, 12:11 PM
steve d- THANK YOU! I just found a beautiful wood steering wheel on mooneyes site. A bit steep in price but it is EXACTLY what I was looking for. Thanks a bunch!

flat broke
07-20-2005, 12:12 PM
Grant still makes a good selection of wood rimmed wheels like this one
http://www.grantproducts.com/images/prod/1170.jpg
Check out their website (http://www.grantproducts.com/)
Chris

Devilman
07-20-2005, 12:42 PM
Can just any old steering wheel work or does it have to specifically be a boat steering wheel? I ain't too crazy about the black plastic one in mine & I got a couple of Grants laying around...

flat broke
07-20-2005, 12:56 PM
Can just any old steering wheel work or does it have to specifically be a boat steering wheel? I ain't too crazy about the black plastic one in mine & I got a couple of Grants laying around...
You can run the grant, you just may need to hit up Rex Marine or another aftermarket supplier for an adapter.
Chris

Squirtin Thunder
07-20-2005, 12:58 PM
Thanks, Victor. I looked at all the sites (rex etc) and all I see are the aluminum billet type wheels. They are nice and all but I'm not going for that look. The boat is older and in my opinion, a classic, and I want that wood wheel. The one on it currently is original, I think, and the wood is just about to turn into dust. I'll keep my eyes peeled. Thanks again confirming my fears that they just aren't being made. Bummer.
I would check out the Mustang sites !!!

old rigger
07-20-2005, 01:38 PM
I think squirtin is right, the wood wheel (grant?) I took off my spectra looks just like the brushed spoke/wood wheels on a mustang and I know you can still buy em cause my neighbor just did for his mustang. the diameter of the boat wheel might be small than the car wheel though. Just guessing.
Stashtrey, I'll swap you the one off my 79 spectra for a 15" white slotted moon wheel.

riverbound
07-20-2005, 01:42 PM
The grant wheel is the original wheel off the Spectras. I replaced mine and kept the stock wheel. I dont know the part# but it has GRANT stamped on the back side.

NELSON#109
07-20-2005, 02:05 PM
grant makes small and large diameter wood wheels..... and the adapters ar common, you can get them from grant or one of the big boat catalogs.

lucky
07-20-2005, 02:21 PM
yep i run a grant on my howard - three spoke - brushed center - 100 bucks at kragen in stock -