PDA

View Full Version : Capacitors for audio systems??

OliverM5
07-20-2005, 01:45 PM
I have two amps powering my boat stereo.....I've been having problems with power supply during high volume, so I'm gonna replace my power cables with 2 gauge this weekend....do you guys also recommend putting a cap in there to help as well? I have two amps (one for 6x9's and one for the 15" sub) running 900 RMS and 2000 peak power.......most of my problems with power supply was during strong bass output in the music.......
Also, how many Farads do I need? is 3 farad ok?

Tom Brown
07-20-2005, 01:52 PM
Forget the caps. They are a waste of money in most applications.
If you get a cap, make sure you can take it back when it doesn't help.
Get good cables and use good batteries. I like Optimas but if you want to be able to pound it with the engine off for a long time, you might want to look at Oddesy. There are also extremely large format batteries like 4D that might suit your application.
Do a search in the A/V forum and you'll find tons of battery information.

ROZ
07-20-2005, 01:53 PM
No Caps!

OliverM5
07-20-2005, 02:47 PM
I'd think a cap would help, since there is about 22 feet of wire from the battery to the amps.....there must be some kind of necesity for a power "reserve" along the way when there is a big current draw (like a big bass hit)........is this not true?
I also realize that my power delivery problem is a "constant" problem when my volume is turned up, not to be fixed by a cap that gives a sudden burst of power.....I hope the bigger gauge power and ground wire help (I'm running 4 gauge positive and 8 gauge negative for 900 watts RMS now to be replaced with 2 gauge on both sides soon)...

OliverM5
07-20-2005, 02:50 PM
I'd think a cap would help, since there is about 22 feet of wire from the battery to the amps.....there must be some kind of necesity for a power "reserve" along the way when there is a big current draw (like a big bass hit)........is this not true?
I also realize that my power delivery problem is a "constant" problem when my volume is turned up, not to be fixed by a cap that gives a sudden burst of power.....I hope the bigger gauge power and ground wire help (I'm running 4 gauge positive and 8 gauge negative for 900 watts RMS now to be replaced with 2 gauge on both sides soon)...
Also, do I need fuses on the distribution blocks right before the amps in addition to the big one by the battery?

OliverM5
07-20-2005, 02:52 PM
I've told you three times to fix that negative wire. Seriously, you keep asking for help and I keep telling you what's wrong. You have 8 gauge wire for your system, not 4 gauge and 8 gauge. :argue:
:D Sorry, I'm gonna fix that first, but I'm asking these questions so I can go in and do everything else I should do as well......

Tom Brown
07-20-2005, 02:53 PM
Also, do I need fuses on the distribution blocks right before the amps in addition to the big one by the battery?
Is this going to be another one of those deals where you ask us, we tell you the answer, and then you tell us what the correct answer should be?

CornWater
07-20-2005, 03:05 PM
Is this going to be another one of those deals where you ask us, we tell you the answer, and then you tell us what the correct answer should be?
It is the ***boat way... :hammer2:

ROZ
07-20-2005, 10:12 PM
22ft and 900 watts is screaming for 1/0 or 2ga... Here's the deal long wire = voltage drop... You're only working with 12 volts, so there's one strike against you... Adding a cap will increase the resistance in the line. Remember that you have only 12v to work with, so you'll now have even less if you add the cap. strike 2... 900 watts at over moderate volume will deplete voltage below 11.5 volts fairly quickly depending on how many batteries you have= strike 3....
Get a couple good deepcycle batteries and run the larger cable for both power and ground... The only problem you should have is protection mode from low voltage after playing for a while...
And listen to IhaveaWarlockShockwaveBob, he knows what he's talking about :D

Tom Brown
07-20-2005, 10:21 PM
Get a couple good deepcycle batteries and run the larger cable for both power and ground... The only problem you should have is protection mode from low voltage after playing for a while...
That's all well and good but maybe he could just continue to use the half mile of zip cord and add a big mother fukking cap and maybe it will be great? :D :D :D

ROZ
07-20-2005, 10:22 PM
You thinking like a 200milifarrad? :D

Tom Brown
07-20-2005, 10:27 PM
You thinking like a 200milifarrad? :D
Polycap in 24 volt so he has 3 dB of headroom. :cool:

Rexone
07-20-2005, 10:32 PM
It is the ***boat way... :hammer2:
oh it's not limited to ***boat, believe me... :notam:

Rexone
07-20-2005, 10:34 PM
22ft and 900 watts is screaming for 1/0 or 2ga... Here's the deal long wire = voltage drop... You're only working with 12 volts, so there's one strike against you... Adding a cap will increase the resistance in the line. Remember that you have only 12v to work with, so you'll now have even less if you add the cap. strike 2... 900 watts at over moderate volume will deplete voltage below 11.5 volts fairly quickly depending on how many batteries you have= strike 3....
shit now I have a headache. :squiggle:
Rexone = not a stereo techy