PDA

View Full Version : Hour Meter

SDLifesaver
07-21-2005, 05:10 AM
Learned a valuable lesson this last trip to Havasu. I noticed after a drive to Park Moabi that my hour meter had not moved since the day before. I called everybodies favorite shop (Gary's RV and Marine) and Gary said bring it over and I will have it for you by the end of the day. At the end of the day I went over to pick the boat up and the gears inside the hour meter had been slipping and were now totally stripped. Had to replace the meter itself. I asked the technician if there was a way to find out how many hours were really on the boat and he told me YES you can. He hooked it up to his little computer and I had double the hours than my trusty little meter read. For me this was a shock because we are trying to sell the boat right now and I have been advertising what the meter read. Need to change the advertisement now and unfortunately lower the price. I was not aware there was an internal clock on the motors. Everyone who has there annual service done should compare the motor clock to the hour meter. The technician told me it is always off 10 to 15 hours. Just thought I would share this info with everyone since I had no clue about the internal clock. Nick

Adolph
07-21-2005, 05:21 AM
:jawdrop: Good info.

termiteguy
07-21-2005, 05:26 AM
i dont have hour meter i just go off of the internal clock :lightsabe

2Driver
07-21-2005, 05:30 AM
Is there a way to get the internal clock info off the engine without an expensive reading device or do you have to go to a tech

SDLifesaver
07-21-2005, 07:12 AM
tech with a fancy computer.

Sleek-Jet
07-21-2005, 07:20 AM
Just a question here, but does the engine computer start timing when the key is on, or is it on an oil pressure switch???
The reason I ask is that hobbs meters are usually wired through an oil pressure switch, so they record only when the engine is running, not when the key is on.

wanna B V
07-21-2005, 07:28 AM
How about non efi motors? Mine is carbonated-do they have internal clocks as well?

Wonderboy
07-21-2005, 10:25 AM
How about non efi motors? Mine is carbonated-do they have internal clocks as well?
I'll bet you get some good fizz out of a carbonated motor. :hammerhea

Supultlbich
07-21-2005, 11:22 AM
Sup!!!