PDA

View Full Version : Call me Crazy..Thinkin' bout a cruiser

Hot Rod Hallett
07-21-2005, 08:36 AM
I know I will get blasted for this post but lately I have been casually thinking about selling my boat and stepping up to a cruiser. Melinda (my girlfriend and probably eventually wife has a 9-year old and we like to boat a few times a year at Mead with my family). It gets rough out there in my little 19 bubble deck Hallett and a cruiser squirt gun with more room in it and through transom exhaust sounds like where I might be headed. I want to stick with a jet as I love boating the river most of the time but I think I am ready for a smoother ride, a swim step, a kick ass stereo, and a bimini top. Its tough to think about selling my boat as I and a few other board members Flatbroke and Hackjob have put so much work into her and I have shelled out a fair share of cash on her but I think I am almost at the point of wanting something bigger. I have entertained a V-drive too but am leaning more towards a jet. Friends and fellow boaters give me your advice. I am a true hot boater and am having a tough time thinking about letting go of the over the transom headers, tunnel ram exposed motor loaded with chrome, polished aluminum and braided lines and the 80 mph ride. To anyone who has made this transition how did you handle it?

hack job
07-21-2005, 08:41 AM
I know I will get blasted for this post but lately I have been casually thinking about selling my boat and stepping up to a cruiser. Melinda (my girlfriend and probably eventually wife has a 9-year old and we like to boat a few times a year at Mead with my family). It gets rough out there in my little 19 bubble deck Hallett and a cruiser squirt gun with more room in it and through transom exhaust sounds like where I might be headed. I want to stick with a jet as I love boating the river most of the time but I think I am ready for a smoother ride, a swim step, a kick ass stereo, and a bimini top. Its tough to think about selling my boat as I and a few other board members Flatbroke and Hackjob have put so much work into her and I have shelled out a fair share of cash on her but I think I am almost at the point of wanting something bigger. I have entertained a V-drive too but am leaning more towards a jet. Friends and fellow boaters give me your advice. I am a true hot boater and am having a tough time thinking about letting go of the over the transom headers, tunnel ram exposed motor loaded with chrome, polished aluminum and braided lines and the 80 mph ride. To anyone who has made this transition how did you handle it?
travis
i know what you mean that is why i went with my new boat i didnt want to have to worry about the small boat any more you can still throw a roost and move along pretty good in a bigger jet you just have to choose the right one.;) i would think that i still have a 80 mph ride.;)
i guess we will see some time next week.

lucky
07-21-2005, 08:54 AM
I traded my 39 chevy - for mine - and went threw just about dam neer every thing -- 80 in a jet with a 21 would be a challenge - I think mouser ran close to that with his dne motor - but you do have options -- I have a mild 468 with a mini blower ( v drive ) - and i'm about 70-75 I hold 70 gallons of fuel - took 7 people out bimini top up and stero playing -- most fun you can have

dmontzsta
07-21-2005, 09:01 AM
I dont think it is a bad idea at all, just stay under 21' and you are fine for any outing. I love my dads 21' V-Drive cruiser. But the V-Drive cruisers seem to be more expensive than the Jets and there is sure alot more Jets available.
It all depends on your budget.

Nucking futs
07-21-2005, 09:02 AM
Travis, do I have the boat for you..........................just like Hackers boat, make you a smoken deal on it too. Hell take the engine out of the Hallet and drop it in my boat and your good to go, just need to add the cd player and the bimini and your set.
http://www.southwindjetboats.com/DSC00024.JPG
http://www.southwindjetboats.com/DSC00025.JPG
http://www.southwindjetboats.com/DSC00023.JPG

Hot Rod Hallett
07-21-2005, 09:11 AM
Tim- I have been eye'ing your boat for a while. It is super clean and would be perfect for me. I don't know if my budget will allow for it but we shall see. I think I would want to sell the Hallett turnkey so I can get the most money for it to be able to put into a nice cruiser. What power does your boat have and what kind of cash would we be talking to buy it turnkey? What kind of money would we be talking less motor? PM me when you have an opportunity.

maxwedge
07-21-2005, 09:16 AM
Sounds like it's time to trade that girlfriend in on a younger more sporty model. This one is making you think incorrectly. :)
Actaully, I used to boat at Mead in a 19 ft jet and I know it sucks when you get out there in the afternoon and it's rough like that. Of course, I used to have a girlfriend who is now my ex-wife, and that kinda sucks too..
Tough call on that one. Maybe you should just loan me your current boat for a while to see if you miss it. You can always rent a crusier or a houseboat in the mean time to see how much fun floating in choppy water and listening to the stereo can be. After a few months or so, when you are lonely, depressed and crying about your boat, you will see the error of your ways, and I will give you your boat back..or at least point you towards the genreal area where I think it sank. :)

dmontzsta
07-21-2005, 09:17 AM
Tim's boat is clean. It also moves along pretty well, especially through the chop.

Hot Rod Hallett
07-21-2005, 09:17 AM
Hulls that I would consider for going to a cruiser:
Hallett 18 Mini Crusier like HalletDave's
Hallett 21
Spectra 20
Spectra 19 like Hack Jobs old boat
Eliminator 21
Eliminator Daytona 19 mini cruiser v-bottom
Southwind Cruiser
Carrerra 20.5 Elite???
Closed deck only!!
Prefer a BBC if boat has power but may sell the Hallett less motor if I can pick the new boat up in reasonable price range and stick the Ford in it.

Nucking futs
07-21-2005, 09:30 AM
Travis, I would take 17 turn key right now, and 12.500 less engine. I lost my job yesterday so I must let it go. Right now it has a 400 hp 468, lightning headers demon 850 steath manifold and is 8.1-1 compression forged je pistons ported 2.19in 1.88 oval port heads full roller dominator pump aluim. berk "A" ride plate 3* bc shoe place droop and diverter blueprinted bottom bennett trim tabs and has ran 73.9 at big river with no fuel and just myself.
Engine has 25 hrs. on it 225 hr on the whole boat.
Really need to get rid of it, don't want to but I have to now.
Tim

Hot Rod Hallett
07-21-2005, 09:40 AM
Tim- I would be very interested in your boat but don't think I will be able to sell the Hallett for enough to buy it and put a motor in it. If I sell the Hallett less motor I will have to come up with more cash just to buy it and then come up with power. I know you have alot of coin in the motor. If it was turn key for like 14K I could take a harder look at it but 12,500 with no motor and having to come up with a few g's to put a reliable BBC together I just can't do. I am trying to come out of the Hallett and only have to come up with a couple grand for a bigger boat. I am probably going to have to get into a little older boat with the budget I will have. I am in no hurry as the Hallett is running killer and everything if fresh. I am just getting started on the idea of stepping into a cruiser. Still have to get through CBBB and labor day and then I could think about selling the Hallett.

dmontzsta
07-21-2005, 09:49 AM
Travis, just throw it all on credit cards, you can send Tim the money via Paypal. haha, thats how I roll. :)

hack job
07-21-2005, 09:54 AM
how much do you think your hallett is worth?
the 19 spectra wouldnt be much better on mead its not much bigger and only wieghts a bit more. i would really give a lot of thought to tims boat its super clean and would be a hell of a boat
Tim sorry to hear about the job thing. i know how that gose i lost mine back in jan.
put that bad boy up for sale and i know several people that would be intrested( dan this one is calling you).

Hot Rod Hallett
07-21-2005, 10:04 AM
Ty-I would love to own Tim's boat but I only have so much money and am not willing to finance myself to death to do it. I think the Hallett is worth between 8500-9. Erik sold his for 7 and it was painted and did not have near the motor mine does. It has a nice BBF in it with all the best parts, fresh and tight pump by MPD, restored trailer with ss fenders and weld wheels, clean interior. The boat is river ready and runs hard and its a Hallett. Its not like I am trying to sell a KONA or a Challenger with a nice motor and pump! Tims boat is really nice but I think my budget will be more in the 10-12K range for a turn key boat. I know that means something older that is not as fresh. If I sell some other toys I could easily afford Tim's boat-but it probably wont be around by the time I do all that.
HotRodHallet

BK
07-21-2005, 10:17 AM
I'll tell you I went from an 18' Sanger SJ to a 20' mini cruiser. Now that ive got 3 kids and my wife HATES rought water plus she's not real fond of boating in general ive had to upgrade to a 23' Sleekcraft to keep her happy. If it were up to me id have a 19 or 20' cruiser and no bigger than 21'. Dont get me wrong, all the space my boat has is great, the kids and wife can take naps under the bow, the stereo's awsome and it handles rough water great. But I never thought id own this big of a boat and wouldnt if it were up to me. Good luck. Oh and Nucking futs your boat is sweet, thats exactly what id want in an all around rig, very nice!!!

SPECTRABRENT
07-21-2005, 10:18 AM
Travis,
If I were you I would pull my motor & pump (install a stock pump) and sell it less motor. You have a nice boat for someone to just drop the motor in and go and you get to keep that motor & pump either to sell or drop in your new Spectra:D.
Good Luck,
Brent

Nucking futs
07-21-2005, 10:18 AM
Thanks for all the kind words, I really dont want to sell it, but hell I could always build another one when time permits, plus I have the tunnel in the garage too...I will put that one together and probably sell it too.
It is officially for sale...............

Danhercules
07-21-2005, 10:42 AM
GRRR!!!!!!!
How am I suppost to choose? I Finnaly got my boat running and love it. Wife and have been talkin about steppin up too. Dont know if I am ready. I kept tellin Tim, maybe next summer. DAMN TIM!! I will be talkin to you.

flat broke
07-21-2005, 12:14 PM
GRRR!!!!!!!
How am I suppost to choose? I Finnaly got my boat running and love it. Wife and have been talkin about steppin up too. Dont know if I am ready. I kept tellin Tim, maybe next summer. DAMN TIM!! I will be talkin to you.
Somtimes opportunity knocks and all you have to do is answer the door. I can tell you that it will be a LOT more expensive if you decided you wanted the same exact boat and Tim's is gone next summer. Doing that rig new adds up quick. Just ask Hacker. If you can pull the deal together, you'd definitely have the best of both worlds.
Tim,
Sorry to hear about the job. Hopefully everything works out for you and you land on your feet in a position equal or better than how things were before you got laid off.
Trav,
Press your buddy with that TT Spectra 20 to let it go to you, That should fall right in your price range, and would be a sweet setup.
Chris

Hot Rod Hallett
07-21-2005, 12:43 PM
Chris- That is another boat I would like to own although I don't think he is going to want to sell it now since he is having a fresh motor built for it-502 I believe. Maybe my current budget is just not going to allow me to step out of the Hallett and into a clean and reliable cruiser.

Hot Rod Hallett
07-21-2005, 01:39 PM
What am I gonna pay for a clean Spectra 20 with a 454, Berk JG, hydraulic place, nice interior, reliable, turn-key ready to go boat?

lucky
07-21-2005, 01:41 PM
What am I gonna pay for a clean Spectra 20 with a 454, Berk JG, hydraulic place, nice interior, reliable, turn-key ready to go boat?
12-15 k i would imagine

P-Money
07-21-2005, 02:04 PM
I went from a 19' flat bottom v-drive to a 20.5 Cole openbow jet. Stole the motor outta the v-drive (496, 8-71, intercooled, blah, blah, blah) and put it in the jet. Wife wanted something more user-friendly. She likes it a lot better, I'm still not totally sold on it. Can fit more people and still get up and go, but its not a v-drive! : - (

Big Proppa
07-21-2005, 02:26 PM
spectra 20 is a great boat - I have had more fun this summer than all others combined, we cruise, we float, and if I want to take to other places I know it will do fine.
Very pleased with ours
"I'm bored so here's a few pics"
http://www2.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/16Picture_001-med.jpg
http://www2.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/16Picture_005-med.jpg
http://www2.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/16Picture_011-med.jpg
http://www2.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/16Picture_013-med.jpg
http://www2.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/16Spectra_001.jpg

Hot Rod Hallett
07-21-2005, 03:06 PM
Very cool Big Proppa! By the way is that a 56 F-100 in the background in that one pic?

77charger
07-21-2005, 03:45 PM
I hear you on that choice.I had a 19ft jet but a now with a family i needed something else.Now i have my 21ft elim open bow with a 350 mag.Plenty of room rides good ain the fastest but uses little gas.And i like it.
But i can also use the flat i raced to cure the speed rush or to remind me open engine memories.In these days i find my new boat way more useful.

Mohavekid
07-21-2005, 05:29 PM
I made the move from an 18' Challenger to a 20.5 Sanger cruiser 5 years ago due to a growing family.
The Challenger was fun, but it got to be too limiting in the amount of stuff we could carry and the places we felt comfortable going with the little ones.
I do miss the flashy chrome, the sound, and the 80 mph speed, but mostly the acceleration of the 18', but the cruiser fits us better now. The cruiser all stock and low maintenance, runs low 60's, throws a pretty good roost and is a ton of fun. A little motor and pump work should put me a litle higher top speed and help the acceleration a bunch.
Good luck making your decision. 10-12K ought to put you into a very nice older cruiser.

Sportin' Wood
07-21-2005, 05:45 PM
If You want to take a spin in a 20SS look me up at CBBB. I Traded up to a 20 from an 18 about 8 years ago, The noise scared the hell out of my son. Funny now thats what he is all about. Its still a little small for Mohave/ Mead in the chop, but we are real happy with the choice we made. I'm trying to make up my mind weather its time to go bigger again or upgrade what I have. Damn kids seem to get in the way. :D All in all I can run just about anywhere.
I'm sure you can get into something like this in your price range, and most likely get it all back when you want something else.
78 Hallett 20 SS
http://home.mchsi.com/~angieknoll/angNboat.JPG
http://home.mchsi.com/~angieknoll/Hallettsmfile.jpg
Nuckingfuts that boat is sweet, Sorry you have to sell.

Big Proppa
07-21-2005, 06:13 PM
Hey Hot Rod - ya it is - fresh rebuit BBF new tranny and rear end. It's for sale if you know anybody.

bigkatboat
07-21-2005, 06:54 PM
I have a couple of brand new hulls and trailers. You would know them as 'Dana's' 22', open bow. The same glass shop as the "Southwind 20'" in the pix. They are on custom tubing trailers and are unrigged. PM me if you are interrested, in a new boat kit for $11750.00. One is white with blues (pearl and fades) light, and dark, with black pin stripes. The other is white with blue (pearl and fades), along with purple (pearl and fades). Trailers are white, 5" tubing, disc brakes with electric back up, winch, jack, mags, spare tire, custom 'logo' lighting, swing away tongue. Also have a custom built Bravo outdrive, and a 461" supercharged BB Chevy. $11750.00= hull, trailer, tanks, bow rails, swim steps, gauges, some extra hardware. 2006! not 20 years old! Go forward not backwards.

BadBahner
07-21-2005, 07:06 PM
I was in the same dilema as you Hot Rod Hallett... So I bought a cruiser and kept the 19 bubble as well. Deals are out there to be had just be real patient and one will come up that is the right price and size. Here is what I got 2 weeks ago...
http://www2.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/1902Hallett_3_.jpg
http://www2.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/1902Hallett_1_.jpg
http://www2.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/1902Hallett_11_.jpg
I am not going to tell you guys what I paid for it just in case I have to sell it to one of you later...lol. :p
Eric

Nucking futs
07-21-2005, 07:39 PM
I have a couple of brand new hulls and trailers. You would know them as 'Dana's' 22', open bow. The same glass shop as the "Southwind 20'" in the pix. They are on custom tubing trailers and are unrigged. PM me if you are interrested, in a new boat kit for $11750.00. One is white with blues (pearl and fades) light, and dark, with black pin stripes. The other is white with blue (pearl and fades), along with purple (pearl and fades). Trailers are white, 5" tubing, disc brakes with electric back up, winch, jack, mags, spare tire, custom 'logo' lighting, swing away tongue. Also have a custom built Bravo outdrive, and a 461" supercharged BB Chevy. $11750.00= hull, trailer, tanks, bow rails, swim steps, gauges, some extra hardware. 2006! not 20 years old! Go forward not backwards.
Are those hulls a few years old now? The 22 is now the 23 that Dana sells. It was retooled a few years back. Nice boat too!!
Tim

bigkatboat
07-21-2005, 08:40 PM
Yep! retooled! Smiley is a nice old lazy guy. He owed me money and I got these hulls for part of the payment he owed me from our past. (the original DANA boats guy (Dave) screwed him and I helped out $$$) The new boat, HAS THE SAME BOTTOM!, and that is a fact! I won't pressure anyone into buying from me, why are you trying to "build your selves up at everyones expense? If your (New Dana Boats) are so great, why do you come here? Are you worried about the quality of my (award winning) rigging work? Don't worry, I don't want to build "wood screw boats" like all the others. I have built a number of award winning 'truly custom boats' over the years, and I will not go DOWN to your level. Wood screws are BS, in building 'true CUSTOM boats'. How does a 22' hull become a 23", and still be the same hull size? It is a BIG 22' and a SMALL 23', RIGHT? I understand your 'defense' of the 'New Dana Boats' you work there, but please don't try to undermine what the facts are. I have two boats and they are at half price! Also, I can rig them to a level way beyond what you think is 'custom'! I've done it in the past, and I can do it tomorrow. PS, that's not a SOUTHWIND 20' (top or bottom) it's a "Smiley"! Strakes, rocker, deck, layup. Why do you insist on BS -ing the past?

Nucking futs
07-21-2005, 09:42 PM
Yep! retooled! Smiley is a nice old lazy guy. He owed me money and I got these hulls for part of the payment he owed me from our past. (the original DANA boats guy (Dave) screwed him and I helped out $$$) The new boat, HAS THE SAME BOTTOM!, and that is a fact! I won't pressure anyone into buying from me, why are you trying to "build your selves up at everyones expense? If your (New Dana Boats) are so great, why do you come here? Are you worried about the quality of my (award winning) rigging work? Don't worry, I don't want to build "wood screw boats" like all the others. I have built a number of award winning 'truly custom boats' over the years, and I will not go DOWN to your level. Wood screws are BS, in building 'true CUSTOM boats'. How does a 22' hull become a 23", and still be the same hull size? It is a BIG 22' and a SMALL 23', RIGHT? I understand your 'defense' of the 'New Dana Boats' you work there, but please don't try to undermine what the facts are. I have two boats and they are at half price! Also, I can rig them to a level way beyond what you think is 'custom'! I've done it in the past, and I can do it tomorrow. PS, that's not a SOUTHWIND 20' (top or bottom) it's a "Smiley"! Strakes, rocker, deck, layup. Why do you insist on BS -ing the past?
Fist off, I never put the boat down. Second I dont work for DANA. The boat was redesigned was it not? thats all I was saying.
I was just asking if it was the 22 or the 23.be it the same boat there are some diffeances thats all. I also thought that was a good price on the hull. As far as Smiley, he has been a family freind for many years. Yeah he built my boat, but he didnt rig it. I dont doubt you can Rig a "custom" boat. On the 20' issue, yes you are correct, that is a smiley boat. He designed it and laid them up for southwind. That is what the bottom is known as because they were made for southwind. he made a newer version of the deck and raised it about 4" to give it alittle more freeboard thats all.I like the newer style deck anyways. Im not trying to get in a pissing match over what was or what is, just asking a question. I have nothing to do with Rhett Maxwell and the "new" Dana boats, just helped out a few freinds that wanted a 20' boat be it a southwind , trophy, Dana or lightinig. same hull differant name, kinda like the whole boat buss. period huh.
Tim

Raskal
07-21-2005, 10:03 PM
all these nice cruser boats get me thinking ??? . naa i keep mine for now .and Travis your boat is nice just keep and deal with the ride for a wile .it don't ride that bad

Raskal
07-21-2005, 10:05 PM
and the boat in the back ground is my neighbors 18 hallet mini day. he might be selling .pretty clean .but did some thing to the motor has a little knock.

LVjetboy
07-22-2005, 02:59 AM
Pure evil on this board. But you may want to consider a cruiser like...
http://members.cox.net/lvjetboy/Cruiser2.jpg
A used single engine cruiser i/o not that expensive...comprarable to an suv. In fact, we have less in the 27' cruiser than I have in my 19' jet. Keep your hot boat and keep the GF happy. No need for transition or giving up your dream.
Seriously, I'm thinking women typically want a kitchen, head and bed no matter how much we believe they can be convinced to think like us or be happy with just a bigger jet. And your hot boating need-for-speed may be unsatisfied with a bigger jet until you once again make it into something she's not happy with. My wife handles speed well and likes the jet, but you should see her face when we cruise at 35 mph up Lake Powell...pure joy. So why not think two boats? Or get the cruiser then later barter for your true small jet hot rod? No more compromise.
I can tell you, the cruiser's a whole nother experience on big lakes like Mead and Powell. Very cool. Yet I will never do without my hot boat...and Karen knows that. You make the GF/wife happy, she makes you happy. All is good.
jer

flat broke
07-22-2005, 10:20 AM
Bigkat,
I know Tim already covered this but he doesn't work for Dana, he was just helping some friends land a deal on a hull so they could rig it themselves.. The way you'd wan't to do it. Through bolted, top shelf stuff, done for the customer's application, not because it's more convenient from a rigging/assembly standpoint.
I'm not in the market, but I know of lots of other people that are. If you could post up some pics of those 22's I think you might find yourself with a little interest. I apologize if I missed it in an earlier post, but are these hulls cut for open bow are are they hard decks? You're price is EXTREMELY good for the hull and trailer combo and with the number of questions I've seen posted about the the 20'er that's being built, I'd bet there are some people that would be interested in the 22. If the transom's haven't been cut, it'd be interesting to see what they'd do with one of AT's new big pumps on the back, and some moderate power. Anyhow, take it easy on Tim as he was just helping some friends out, and get some pics of those 22's up.
Chris

Danhercules
07-22-2005, 10:37 AM
Bigkat,
Anyhow, take it easy on Tim as he was just helping some friends out, and get some pics of those 22's up.
Chris
Tim dose not help anyone. He is a complete ass. :rolleyes:
Thanks again Tim, my bulkhead is carpeted, ready for the weekend.

dmontzsta
07-22-2005, 10:39 AM
Dan you need Tim's boat.
As soon as he puts it in the paper, it is going to be gone like the wind.

Hot Rod Hallett
07-22-2005, 03:30 PM
LV Jet Boy- I am not made of money. I appreciate your suggestion of two boats but if I buy a cruiser the old boat has to go. If there was a way to keep the Hallett and step up I would be all for it.

lucky
07-23-2005, 05:57 AM
LV Jet Boy- I am not made of money. I appreciate your suggestion of two boats but if I buy a cruiser the old boat has to go. If there was a way to keep the Hallett and step up I would be all for it.
run your boat - and buy a cruiser this winter !