PDA

View Full Version : Clear Lake Boat Accident

Kindsvater Flat
05-03-2006, 12:40 PM
Anyone catch any info about a large offshore type boat taking out a sailboat? Possibly one deceased on the sailboat?

Her454
05-03-2006, 01:26 PM
I hope she's ok but WTF were they doing without running lights!

MOBrien
05-03-2006, 01:28 PM
what are running lights for???????????
............exactly! So people can see you and your direction in the dark!!! Unbelievable. :rolleyes: Hope everyone comes out of it OK.

Kindsvater Flat
05-03-2006, 01:29 PM
I hope she's ok but WTF were they doing without running lights!
I just got a call from an inside friend Traci and she did not make it. Sad days up here in NorCal. :cry:

lucky
05-03-2006, 01:30 PM
I did not hear a word on the local radio - -- sheriff related - I assume thats why

Her454
05-03-2006, 01:35 PM
I just got a call from an inside friend Traci and she did not make it. Sad days up here in NorCal. :cry:
Im sorry to hear that and my heart goes out to the family. If the story is accurate then its a sad, sad accident that could possibly have been prevented if they had been operating "legally" and made themselves visible.

NorCalCat
05-03-2006, 01:35 PM
WOW! We were up there. Did not hear a thing. Too often people turn their running lights off to see the stars...this is why we have this kind of equipment.
Sad...

Clearlake Kid
05-03-2006, 01:39 PM
She died from her injury's............A off duty deputy sheriff was driving the baja that hit the sail boat that had had no running lights.............

NorCalCat
05-03-2006, 01:42 PM
She died from her injury's............A off duty deputy sheriff was driving the baja that hit the sail boat that had had no running lights.............
WOW! I hope he wasn't drinking.
That is too bad, sad story.

Boatcop
05-03-2006, 03:22 PM
Here's a link to the story:
Clear Lake Boat Collision (http://www.record-bee.com/Stories/0,1413,255~26901~3302437,00.html)

randy77zt
05-04-2006, 01:07 PM
i had a close call at night once and almost killed my self.now i usually run just fast enough to break over onto a plane .the sailboat should have had some kind of lighting on it.problem is most sailboats dont have any electrical system at all.

bubbletop409
05-04-2006, 03:14 PM
Don't know what the moonlight was that night, but from past experience on that lake, I can say it makes a helluva difference. My Mother once had a place in Lakeport, and on more than one ocassion we ran over to the baths in Soda Bay for a late night dip. The phase of the moon had a big influence on visibility. But regardless of the moon, why no running lights? Sad results from a careless error. Wanna run at night, turn on your lights. I think Johhny Cochrane said that.

JetBoatRich
05-04-2006, 06:39 PM
Very sad, no lights :mad: thinking no boats run at I night?

Rocket-J
05-06-2006, 12:59 PM
Did I hear that the after dark speed limit is 15 knots? Anyone know? Al

stoker2001
05-07-2006, 06:19 PM
Very sad,seen the obituary in Sacto bee today,my condolences

NorCalCat
05-08-2006, 08:57 AM
Did I hear that the after dark speed limit is 15 knots? Anyone know? Al
No speed limit in Clear Lake night or day time unless posted.

bubbletop409
05-08-2006, 09:22 AM
Excessive speed and a dark night on the lake can bite you. We were offshore from Lakeport one dark evening taking a swim, heard a boat go by, sounded like he was movin at a good clip. On the way back into the lagoon where my Mother had a mobile home, my Daughter said " hey Dad, I think I hear somebody yelling ". Killed the engine, and sure enough people were yelling for help. Found them with a hand help spot light, standing by some tules, in knee deep water, no boat in sight. Got close to them, and they had to walk out to me due to shallow water. When I got them aboard, I asked them how they got there. Said they were out for an evening ride, were unfamilar with the shoreline, and due to a dark night, just ran out of water. Turns out their boat was so far into the tules, it was barely visible in daylight. Told me they didn't have a clue they were even near the shore till the tules started going by on both sides of the boat. Don't know how they ever got it out. They were lucky that no one was seriously injured that night, a few bruises, nothing more. They knew it could have turned out much worse.

NorCalCat
05-08-2006, 10:47 AM
Excessive speed and a dark night on the lake can bite you. We were offshore from Lakeport one dark evening taking a swim, heard a boat go by, sounded like he was movin at a good clip. On the way back into the lagoon where my Mother had a mobile home, my Daughter said " hey Dad, I think I hear somebody yelling ". Killed the engine, and sure enough people were yelling for help. Found them with a hand help spot light, standing by some tules, in knee deep water, no boat in sight. Got close to them, and they had to walk out to me due to shallow water. When I got them aboard, I asked them how they got there. Said they were out for an evening ride, were unfamilar with the shoreline, and due to a dark night, just ran out of water. Turns out their boat was so far into the tules, it was barely visible in daylight. Told me they didn't have a clue they were even near the shore till the tules started going by on both sides of the boat. Don't know how they ever got it out. They were lucky that no one was seriously injured that night, a few bruises, nothing more. They knew it could have turned out much worse.
That happens several times a year in that area. You talking about just south, tot he left if you are looking out at the lake form Willo Point. Just past the trailer park and the lagoon? There is a bay there that is only about 2-3' of water and then 1' and tules. There is a maker in the cove, but it has not been lit up for years.
Also, a highly accident area is Rocky Point just past Pit Stop. At least 2 boats get air born a year there.

HTRDLNCN
05-08-2006, 10:59 AM
Sailbotes are the worst..
Last night we were eating at Key Largo looking at on the bay where 10 sailbotes anchored either ON or right next to the chennel ONLY ONE HAD anchor light bewteen ALL of them and it was barely visible because they use the smallest bulbs available to man. In Miami I was coming around the bay behind the Seaqarium and as I round the bend there sits a sailbote anchored in the middle of the dam channel with no lights on. Its all I could do not to ram him,,how we escaped I have no idea.They think they own the water.

livin da dream
05-09-2006, 05:43 AM
very sad-
I always thought that when the sun sets, its 5 mph