PDA

View Full Version : Bedcover

phebus
07-21-2005, 12:25 PM
I am looking at getting a bedcover for my Chevy 2500HD S/B, and at this point, I'm not sure if I want a lid type, or a rollback.
I know the rollback has the advantage of allways being able to be moved out of the way without removal, but I'm unsure of the water issue if it rains, as well as the strength and durability.
Any other issues I should consider, and any reccomendations? I don't have a need for an electric model.
Thanks
I posted this in the tow rig section also, but I plan on purchasing soon (maybe today), so I am taking advantage of the traffic here.

CandyA$$
07-21-2005, 12:27 PM
You know I wish we would have gone with the one that retracts back into the cab of the truck cause we have a lid and the shocks were weak and came crashing down breaking my nose.

Keithb87
07-21-2005, 12:29 PM
You know I wish we would have gone with the one that retracts back into the cab of the truck cause we have a lid and the shocks were weak and came crashing down breaking my nose.
That would be my concern with the lid.. It seems that all "hatches" that use those struts for support seem to fail with in a year.

voodoomedman
07-21-2005, 01:38 PM
For the looks definately get a lid. You really shouldn't have a need to remove it that often. I actually never have had to remove mine. It's also a good excuse from having to help people move. Just tell them you can't fit stuff because of the lid. But if you ever do have to remove it then it takes all of about two minutes. pull the clips from the struts and get one person on each side and lift it off. As far as shocks failing it may depend on whose you buy. It's like we always say here you get what you pay for. I bought a Gaylords lid and my struts work perfectly still and I have had it for 3 and a half years.

jackpunx
07-21-2005, 01:43 PM
If you like this.. I have one I'll give to you for next to nothin..
http://www.soft-top.com/CanBack/Images/BlackOnWhite_275.jpg

Newcastle
07-21-2005, 01:48 PM
2 guys I work with have the retractable types. 1 of them spent a couple 100 more than the other and got the really strong one that you could walk on top of (dunno why you'd want to though). They're both happy with them. The only suggestion is to get one that is strong where the lid will meet the tailgait, otherwise at high speed it will flap up and down and make a rattle noise (so his says).
My suggestion, they don't look as nice but functionality is definitely better.

Newcastle
07-21-2005, 01:49 PM
And good piont about the excuse of not helping people move with the lid!!!

Flashover
07-21-2005, 02:31 PM
Mine is a snap down type that will roll back or is totally removable. It's made of the sunbrella material so it is waterproof. Our boat cover guy makes them and that one runs about $150 - $175. I realy like it.. :wink: :wink:

voodoomedman
07-21-2005, 02:38 PM
Just had another thought. Security. It's easier to cut fabric than to find something to break fiberglass or the metal locks.

El Chingon
07-21-2005, 02:44 PM
It seems that all "hatches" that use those struts for support seem to fail with in a year.
I had a snuglid on my last truck for 7 years and never had a strut fail. Bought another snuglid for the '04. Love mine, and the wife helps me take it off, of course not with a smile. :burningm:

socaldj1
07-21-2005, 05:43 PM
I really like the cover I got from KCovers. It opens at the front, folds from the back, locks the tailgate shut. Can be removed by one person in 2 minutes And stores easily. They have a few different types, the one I have is shown in the bottem left of the web page http://kcovers.com/index.html

h2oski2fast
07-21-2005, 05:50 PM
If you like this.. I have one I'll give to you for next to nothin..
http://www.soft-top.com/CanBack/Images/BlackOnWhite_275.jpg
You can't get rid of that. It IS you! :yuk: